Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely think Craig Gordon would turn us down now.

Why would Gordon come on loan to end his career on a relegation battle? Can't see him being remotely interested. 

Saints won't be able to afford anymore than like 20% of his wages as well 🤷‍♂️

Someone email Adam with a presentation on why Tommy Wright would have this squad comfortably top 6. 

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Someone email Adam with a presentation on why Tommy Wright would have this squad comfortably top 6. 

Nobody could get this squad top 6. 

On 19/07/2024 at 21:14, RandomGuy. said:

He is when hes played in a two, or with support, as he consistently proves. Hes the last player we have who hit double figures in a season, and the 1-0 win v County, which ended up decisive, comes entirely because he sees and plays a pass few others in our squad do.

If hes on £3k a week, which I don't believe he is after his last renewal, then hes nowhere near value for money. But to me theres a large gap in logic between wanting rid of May because hes costing too much for what he is, and replacing him by spending a fee on a 20yo who couldn't get a start for Hamilton.

Luke Rankin scored just a few less Lowland League goals last season than Kirk, is younger, and would be cheaper too.

Worth mentioning it was Rankin who scored twice tonight.

53 minutes ago, Nat King Goals said:

In a game where it was vital to get the 3 points, which required more experienced players and potentially play some younger ones in last game, Levein's arrogance has cost us.

This is it for me. We hadn’t been particularly impressive upto this point, but winning can get a wee bit of optimism and momentum going.  It’s far easier to build and gel a team that’s getting positive results than a struggling one.

After a few years of dreadful cup results it was no secret Saints fans were looking for more. And all that’s in the bin with tonight’s performance/ result.

I guess Levein might argue you can’t just have 11 players match ready as some might be injured so fringe players also need a runout, but organise bounce games for them midweek or something. 

There is still a chance alloa lose at Morton and we can beat East Fife to qualify, but would that just paper over the cracks? Would another defeat be a wake up call to the new owners that we are in desperate need of some proper first team signings.

Can’t remember going into a season with such an air of negativity about Saints’ prospects.

Think it's been known for a while - least since nearing the end of his Hearts spell - that Levein is a very dated and old school manager. I've always had him down as a safe pair of hands though. Someone that will get a steady team going, likes his big players secondary if they can play football and a bit defensive but he seems to be having an absolute fucking nightmare except for signing foreign strikers for you lads. Did not expect this if I'm honest - signings like McPake, Sanders and pea hearted midfielders just never struck me as the Levein way. 

Mental.

On 20/07/2024 at 19:46, perthsaint1977 said:

MacPherson is shite. Unbelievable he's our starter.  A big problem going into the season if he's a nailed on starter

There are people in our support who genuinely rate this guy too. Not only is he shite, his attitude is absolutely abysmal. Seeing him with the captains armband - moaning at other people every time he misplaced a pass then berating the goalkeeper for a mistake was an absolute embarrassment. Meanwhile we have an intelligent footballer in Stevie May who always shows the right attitude and fight sitting in the stands - you try to rationalise everything that’s going on and give the manager time and the benefit of the doubt but there are a hell of a lot of major concerns at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

There are people in our support who genuinely rate this guy too. Not only is he shite, his attitude is absolutely abysmal. Seeing him with the captains armband - moaning at other people every time he misplaced a pass then berating the goalkeeper for a mistake was an absolute embarrassment. Meanwhile we have an intelligent footballer in Stevie May who always shows the right attitude and fight sitting in the stands - you try to rationalise everything that’s going on and give the manager time and the benefit of the doubt but there are a hell of a lot of major concerns at the moment. 

But, but, but "there's a player there".

So much to be disappointed by in that performance. Individually, collectively and from the touchline.

I doubt anyone would reason for that to be our strongest side. It's fine if it works but when it doesn't (and it didn't) you end up looking like a fool. But even putting the team selection to one side, it was impossible to tell what the game plan actually was. That was either because they weren't well coached enough or the players selected executed it so poorly. As always, maybe the truth lies in the middle.

Because some of those players were embarrassingly poor. As a group they were out fought and out played but as individuals, some - actually, most - were so glaringly lacking in the basics. Dreadful first touches and wanting far too much time on the ball being easy charges to lay down.

That Sanders and McPake were just handed two-year deals is staggering. That anyone believes Connor Smith should have a future at the club is inconceivable. That it is anything but a low point in our history that Cameron MacPherson was handed the captain's armband should be indisputable.

But numerous others need called out too. Keltjens was rubbish, Raymond not much better. Essel so naive. And Taylor Steven completely failing to take his chance. Although in fairness to him, Ali McCann stunk out 2019/20 League Cup campaign then quickly established himself.

It'll be interesting to see how patient a man Adam Webb is.

Has Sanders ever played at CB before? In no mans land for the first goal, indecisive for the second, then leaves it for the keeper when it's outside the box, just clear it you fanny and tell Rae to stay where he was. Essel was a sending off, no doubts and looks an easy booking per game, yellows and reds. Keltjens getting a horsey from Rae to try and save the third was the second best highlight behind Adama and Steven kicking each other instead of the ball when clean through on goal. I love a good comedy, we should take an evening slot for the upcoming fringe. It's a money maker Adam.

26 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Oof.  The Premier Sport commentator literally laughing at your goalkeeper for the last goal. 

So was I tbf.