Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

On 18/08/2024 at 10:05, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Based on Webb's comments it was moving closer towards giving them more tickets than less. He was very keen to maximise the £ from them. 

"We need to find a way to maximise the income from the Old Firm without upsetting our own fans". 

If this is Webb's logic then it doesn't make sense at all. I'm not sure how he thinks inviting more OF fans into McDiarmid = happy Saints fans.

54 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If this is Webb's logic then it doesn't make sense at all. I'm not sure how he thinks inviting more OF fans into McDiarmid = happy Saints fans.

I think it's more "no matter what we do you don't turn up anyway". 

Some Saints fans say "give them one stand". That'll probably add 100 to the home gate though so the demand just doesn't stack up. 

We can want things that make us happy all we like but if that loses the club 100k a time we can want all we like, it's not happening 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying this is what I want or that will definitely happen but it's more likely than banning them that's for certain. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 hours ago, The Marly said:

Anyone got an email address for Adam Webb? Would like to tell him my feelings on this.

Ideas@perthsaints.co.uk

He responded to me via that address very quickly, albeit not about this matter. He seems to have responded to others too. 

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I think it's more "no matter what we do you don't turn up anyway". 

That was the Brown mentality for sure, while making it the most expensive game of the season, when it was always a shit kick off time and they made sure you always had Old Firm fans either side of you.

Kilmarnock and St Mirren both had similar issues with home supports dipping for these games, and turned it around by restricting how many away fans got into the stadium.

If there was an actual effort at promoting it and making it work I think we'd see the same, eventually. But it's likely we get one restricted crowd, which is them getting both ends and no Geoff Brown stand (to reduce mingling in theory), and when the crowd doesn't magically rise in one game it'll be back to the Brown logic of the more of them in the stadium the better.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That was the Brown mentality for sure, while making it the most expensive game of the season, when it was always a shit kick off time and they made sure you always had Old Firm fans either side of you.

Kilmarnock and St Mirren both had similar issues with home supports dipping for these games, and turned it around by restricting how many away fans got into the stadium.

If there was an actual effort at promoting it and making it work I think we'd see the same, eventually. But it's likely we get one restricted crowd, which is them getting both ends and no Geoff Brown stand (to reduce mingling in theory), and when the crowd doesn't magically rise in one game it'll be back to the Brown logic of the more of them in the stadium the better.

Away support need a section of the main stand for disabled access. 

Watched the game back and aye, faith growing in Levein a wee bit every week just now.

He tried a few different things and, until the mad scramble to try and equalise at the end, you could see why he was trying everything he was trying. Can also see why he didn't play Sprangler too, when you're switching between shapes and set ups by just using the players on the park.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Watched the game back and aye, faith growing in Levein a wee bit every week just now.

He tried a few different things and, until the mad scramble to try and equalise at the end, you could see why he was trying everything he was trying. Can also see why he didn't play Sprangler too, when you're switching between shapes and set ups by just using the players on the park.

Oh FFS. Two f**king weeks ago in your eyes we were definitely relegated. 

17 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Oh FFS. Two f**king weeks ago in your eyes we were definitely relegated. 

I still think we're the weakest squad in the division, and badly need a starting quality CM, FWIW.

But it feels like we're at least not getting worse now, which is kind of a spiral we've been in at this stage for the past few years, and thinking that negative stuff is going to last forever is a mindset as a fan I find hard to escape. 

We might end up being relegated but l suspect we'll at least be entertained in the process. Much more pace, power and energy in this team than the shambles we've largely watched the previous 3 years. Have to hope that carries on as we'll inevitably hit a bad patch soon enough. 

On 18/08/2024 at 22:00, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I think realistically the demands to ban them etc simply won't happen. I can't see the club commenting on what happened publicly again. 

This isn't a reflection on St Johnstone specifically. It's much more general a wondering than that.... But my wonder is.... What is it going to take in Scottish football? 

We've even gone so far as the two of the uglies in their bubble of zero self awareness banning away fans, PRECISELY because in both cases, the safety of those away fans is at risk from the home ones.

And STILL, the utter f**king debacle that follows these scumbags all round the rest of the country goes completely unchecked. It 100% has the feel that its going to take supporter action to drive the clubs. Because neither bigot club, nor the authorities or the media are going to call them on it. 

A Goalie, a Centre Back and a Centre Mid is what I think will come in.

Oludare will go, Stevie May? Not so sure tbh. Then some youngsters out on loan. I'd like two centre mids but Levein will blow the budget on one he's managed before, is my prediction.

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

A Goalie, a Centre Back and a Centre Mid is what I think will come in.

Oludare will go, Stevie May? Not so sure tbh. Then some youngsters out on loan. I'd like two centre mids but Levein will blow the budget on one he's managed before, is my prediction.

The guy that is sitting looking for a club that would be transformative for our midfield is Ryan Jack. Whether a) we'd pay him enough, b) if he'd want to and c) he'd remain fit is an entirely separate question. He's been linked with plenty of other clubs of our level so I'd like to think we'd be asking the question.

A dominant centre back who will just attack crosses in our own box is a must too. I've been more impressed than I expected to be with Sanders and Neilson but every game we're letting crosses be fired into the box and just leaving them to bounce.

I think the defenders Levien has signed to date are maybe all better than we were giving credit originally for. Cameron has looked good and brings balance to the left hand side and is aggressive and on the front foot. Sanders is a unit to say the least and you’d bank on him winning the ball every time it’s in the air, albeit slight worry when he’s isolated one on one that he’s not quick on the turn. Neilson looks comfortable on the ball both in defence and midfield, but needs to be more on the front foot and aggressive in winning it back, he’s a big lad and should use it more. We know Raymond is good already too, which has helped bring balance on the attacking front on the left. Is this a defence that keeps lots of clean sheets and keeps us safe, probably not, but I don’t think it’s any worse that a few others in the league and if we can score goals, then we’ll pick up points. 

Think everyone agrees that centre mid is definitely in need of a big upgrade but I also think we could do with a goalie (Rae still doesn’t fill me with confidence), another centre half and I think we need a right back too. Probably need cover at left back too. Think we’re not going to get all that but as long as centre mid is sorted we can be competitive at least

Would be more tempted with two quality CMs with the thought of protecting the defence. We still do not win enough first and second balls in the middle of the park to allow us to build from there and not the back line. Give what we have more protection up the park and they will be ok 🤔

Any signs of works starting at the stadium, re car park, lifts etc? Sure there was talk that a new scoreboard might be in place before 2nd league home game, which would be a week on Saturday.

Despite off field events the last few weeks, sort of feels like there is still some momentum with the club as a whole and better than expected on field performances is helping. A positive result vs Utd on Saturday would keep that rolling and visible signs of change would build on it.