Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Really good interview with CL in the courier. Stark contrast to the type of interview we got from Davidson when he was in charge.

I know most saints fans still want shot of CL due to the 460 with Scotland years ago, but I'm really enjoying him being saints manager.

He's clearly got an eye for talent, is not grumbling about the finances he's working with and slowly but surely he's turning this clubs fortunes around.

He was dealt with a really crap hand when he's arrived and while it was not easy on the eye, for him to survive deserves credit.

This season, it's only a small sample size but I feel he is trying to transform in the style and way we play.

I know it was at Hampden and we lost, but how many saints managers have went away to the old firm and played 2 out and out strikers.

Heard from a few of the players that training is always excellent and they are really pushed as a team and individually they all have aspects to focus on in training.

And I love the fact he's willing to go outside the box on his recruitment. For years we have always looked at rivals find these gems from Europe/Africa and we have regularly ended up the round the block older Scottish players who have been on the books of Alan Preston.

23 hours ago, tree house tam said:

It says something when I'd rather have them than Ayr fans.

14 hours ago, The Smell of VICTORY said:

Since when have Ayr United fans attacked other supporters and been the subject of police investigations and banned by their own team?

It really does say something about your mentality

For you to not see such an obvious wind-up says a lot more about your mentality tbh.

4 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Really good interview with CL in the courier. Stark contrast to the type of interview we got from Davidson when he was in charge.

I know most saints fans still want shot of CL due to the 460 with Scotland years ago, but I'm really enjoying him being saints manager.

He's clearly got an eye for talent, is not grumbling about the finances he's working with and slowly but surely he's turning this clubs fortunes around.

He was dealt with a really crap hand when he's arrived and while it was not easy on the eye, for him to survive deserves credit.

This season, it's only a small sample size but I feel he is trying to transform in the style and way we play.

I know it was at Hampden and we lost, but how many saints managers have went away to the old firm and played 2 out and out strikers.

Heard from a few of the players that training is always excellent and they are really pushed as a team and individually they all have aspects to focus on in training.

And I love the fact he's willing to go outside the box on his recruitment. For years we have always looked at rivals find these gems from Europe/Africa and we have regularly ended up the round the block older Scottish players who have been on the books of Alan Preston.

Probably just reactionary to an upturn in results, but he feels more invested this season? Sometimes felt he seemed tired/disinterested last season, as if it was all weighing on him, but this season seems more upbeat. Potentially just genuinely excited about building a team with young players and having to wade through dross to pick a line up every week last season scunnered him?

Interesting he says we "couldn't compete" for 2 experienced CBs. Assume that's Lamie and Hanlon?

Also says he's looking at Africa and the English lower leagues again.

Posted (edited)

I'm onboard the Levein train having waivered post split last season when I feared the players had stopped responding to him. 

I wish he'd  not signed McPake and re-signed Macpherson but other than that I think the business looks either good/shrewd/interesting or all of the above when it comes down to individual players. 

If we do end up getting 3 more, I'm excited to see what he goes for 

Edited by Kyle

It's maybe just the perception when the stuff on the pitch is more encouraging but he does seem to be coming across better in the written press.

Seems like he's actually talking to the support, rather than just fulfilling an obligation.

I think it was after the Morton game he said something on Saints TV about starting to understand what the fans want in a team. That's actually a very important thing and does differ from club to club.

I'm not sure he isn't still a bad result or two away from being out of favour again but he's at least dragged himself up off the floor for now.

Is the guy Steven MacLean brought in to help with analysis still here?

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

Might be thinking of the wrong person, but believe he's now working at Celtic.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Might be thinking of the wrong person, but believe he's now working at Celtic.

I can't remember his name at all. I guess if Celtic come calling then you are going to be off. Always going to be a problem for Saints with good analysts.

1 minute ago, Radford said:

I can't remember his name at all. I guess if Celtic come calling then you are going to be off. Always going to be a problem for Saints with good analysts.

Liam Thomson is the one I'm thinking of.

42 minutes ago, Radford said:

It's maybe just the perception when the stuff on the pitch is more encouraging but he does seem to be coming across better in the written press.

Seems like he's actually talking to the support, rather than just fulfilling an obligation.

I think it was after the Morton game he said something on Saints TV about starting to understand what the fans want in a team. That's actually a very important thing and does differ from club to club.

I'm not sure he isn't still a bad result or two away from being out of favour again but he's at least dragged himself up off the floor for now.

29 minutes ago, Radford said:

FWIW we have a "Head of Performance Analysis" now, called Declan Tobin. Was hired from Hearts this Summer.

Think they're trying to build an actual department there with him leading it.

6 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Parker away to Cove now on loan.

1 or 2 more out on loan and we might start seeing names about who we're after appearing as they'll be able to start pushing forward with the deal(s). 

I think you may hear names very very soon.

Great interview with Aaron Essel on SaintsTV. Big personality and expresses himself really well. Enjoyed Andre Raymond’s interview last week also. With infectious characters like these two, Sidibeh, Kimpioka and Sprangler in the squad, it feels nice to have a bunch of players who you’re really rooting for on a personal level. I haven’t felt this way in some time. I imagine the team spirit is newly revitalised as well.

Very questionable rumours that an English club are about to bid for Zander Clark, wonder if we have a sell on clause? 

On Levein, many Saints fans online jumped on the bandwagon of being against him. That’ll resurface if we start to struggle. Overall he’s been good for us and we’re only a couple of decent signings away from being a decent mid-table side. After the previous 3 seasons that’s real progress.

We’ve still got a lot to work on, but we’re more entertaining to watch than we’ve been for a few years.