Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

experienced leader in midfield / Jason Holt or Ryan Jack two obvious ones who are still available - Jack is probably unrealistic 

Ryan Jack would be absolutely perfect for us but whether we would be able to match his wage demands or willing to go over budget for him would be doubtful. Also would we be willing to give a big contract to a player with his injury history.

Players like Jack and Holt suddenly become more attainable after the window closes. It’s fine having wage demands but these tend to drop when you’ve had no wages for a few months 

Cannot for the life of me see Saints in the running to sign Jack. 

He was at the St. Mirren game the other week and I imagine have offers from them and other Scottish clubs all of which will be significantly better than our financial offer.  Even if our offer was on par financially, I can't see any reason why he'd choose us? I imagine he'll live near or in Glasgow etc. 

He's holding out for deals abroad because that'll be double what he'll get in Scotland.

8 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Probably way out of our price range but probably worth an ask Stevie Mallan

He is exactly the sort of player we have signed in the past and done well for us, but I suspect now, the gulf in wages to what he is currently on vs what we could offer would make anything other than a loan a non starter.

I still think we might see someone like Scott Bain coming in on loan alongside a couple of more experienced players.

For me, if we could get a battling CM, a creative midfielder, GK and some cover in defence who ideally can play multiple positions, then I'd be happy enough.

I don't really want to see more young players loans from Hearts level that dont/can't make an impact. We need first team ready players. 

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Wait, is the Scott McMann getting flack here, our (Ayr) guy or some fan?

Scott McMann is a huge Saints fan. Always at our games when he's not playing. But he's also very vocal on the Saints Facebook group and 99% of his posts are off the scale. Surprised you weren't aware of this when you signed him.

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

If people are expecting the likes of Ryan Jack or Stevie Mallan then I reckon you're all going to end up very disappointed. 

Jack seems out of reach but an out of contract Stevie Mallan? Would have thought we would have had a shout if he's got any thoughts about coming back to Scotland.

I'm almost at the stage now where if we get a competent keeper and CM that's about all we can hope for. We should be pushing the boat out for those positions eve if they're loans.  

Is Mallan even the type of CM we need?

To me we need someone who can play deeper and start play through midfield, while protecting that area in front of the defence too. That allows whoever plays in midfield (Essel/Smith/Carey/MacPherson) to concentrate on either creating in the final third, or getting about the park winning the ball back, which gets the most out of all them.

Sprangler-esque player but better.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To me we need someone who can play deeper and start play through midfield, while protecting that area in front of the defence too. That allows whoever plays in midfield (Essel/Smith/Carey/MacPherson) to concentrate on either creating in the final third, or getting about the park winning the ball back, which gets the most out of all them.

Reckon Dundee's Mo Sylla is the type of midfielder we need. Dundee managed to find him in England's lower leagues, it is a gamble that paid off for Dundee, but whatever CM is brought in, feels like it will be a gamble for us too - just need to hope it pays off.

12 minutes ago, Nat King Goals said:

Reckon Dundee's Mo Sylla is the type of midfielder we need. Dundee managed to find him in England's lower leagues, it is a gamble that paid off for Dundee, but whatever CM is brought in, feels like it will be a gamble for us too - just need to hope it pays off.

I've been wanting us to sign Jake Doyle-Hayes for about 5 years now, let's just get him.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What we need is Ali McCann.

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Just seen someone suggesting we should try and sign Stuart Armstrong.

I hear Messi doesn't fancy Miami anymore as well. 

People have played too much FIFA and Football Manager....

Of course someone like Armstrong is clearly pie in the sky, but ...

Not looking for an argument here and, to be absolutely clear, nor do I think we should be signing him, but I am genuinlely inerested in why we should think Stevie Mallan was above our level of ambition?

The guy's spent what should be the best years of his career having a disaster at a Turkish basket case of a club before what seems to have been a pretty poor post-injury stint in the English 3rd 4th tier, not getting much game time and not having his contract renewed. He's 29 this season so unlikely to attract a club looking at future value, has a not-insignificant injury history, is on record as wanting to return to Scotland and is actively looking for a club. He's even said in the press he'd consider the (Scottish) Championship. He hasn't played a professional game since November last year.

If anything I'd say that's a profile that would be bang average for us, if not below what we're looking for,

I just find it odd that folk would think he would be some sort of wild stretch for us.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

11 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Of course someone like Armstrong is clearly pie in the sky, but ...

Not looking for an argument here and, to be absolutely clear, nor do I think we should be signing him, but I am genuinlely inerested in why we should think Stevie Mallan was above our level of ambition?

The guy's spent what should be the best years of his career having a disaster at a Turkish basket case of a club before what seems to have been a pretty poor post-injury stint in the English 3rd 4th tier, not getting much game time and not having his contract renewed. He's 29 this season so unlikely to attract a club looking at future value, has a not-insignificant injury history, is on record as wanting to return to Scotland and is actively looking for a club. He's even said in the press he'd consider the (Scottish) Championship. He hasn't played a professional game since November last year.

If anything I'd say that's a profile that would be bang average for us, if not below what we're looking for,

I just find it odd that folk would think he would be some sort of wild stretch for us.

He'd be expensive, based on what I think Salford play folk, and wouldn't add anything we need.

FWIW I think Essel could end up like McCann so i'd like to see him freed up more. Smiths renaissance and Carey mean we don't need/cant spend big money on another attacking CM/defensive passenger.