Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

58 minutes ago, Enigma said:

You could do a lot worse than bring in John McGlynn if you punt Levein.

The time to do that was the end of last season. At least then we could have guaranteed him a season in the top league. Why would he leave a team looking for promotion to go to a team who look a decent bet to be relegated 

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

You could do a lot worse than bring in John McGlynn if you punt Levein.

The time for this sort of underhand espionage was before you inexplicably punted Murray and made yourselves relegation candidates. dont concern yourself with the goings on at TFS any more. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The time for this sort of underhand espionage was before you inexplicably punted Murray and made yourselves relegation candidates. dont concern yourself with the goings on at TFS any more. 

Murray could be a good option for you if McGlynn does leave.

Just cut out the shit and bring Tommy Wright home. Not sure even he could get this lot defending set pieces properly.  

Edit: I don't think I've ever seen such a passive set of centre halves at any club ever. There's not a jot of aggression among any of the options that we have, other than Essel who channels it in what appears to be entirely inappropriate ways. 

Edited by Kyle

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Just cut out the shit and bring Tommy Wright home. Not sure even he could get this lot defending set pieces properly.  

He managed Tam Scobbie, Brad Mackay and Liam Caddis to victories, that man can do anything! 

Would Tommy be interested? As it stands he’s 3 bad results away from his dream job…

If he is. Give it to him as soon as possible, and fire Levein into the Tay. 

Levein would hold some level of respect if he did the decent thing, alongside Kirk, and resign.

Sadly, CL and Kirk appear to have no decency to do the right thing but instead steal their wages.

A conversation is urgently required between Webb and the chuckle brothers and if they don't walk away, Webb MUST sack them. Additionally Gus needs to go too.

If Tommy Wright were to be interested, and is a big if, then, given our predicament, he would be the perfect solution.

He has previously run the club effectively, without a DOF plus, in the short term, he could double up as goalkeeping coach until that is resolved. TW would unite the team and the defenders would soon have proper defending instilled into them.

13 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Would Tommy be interested? As it stands he’s 3 bad results away from his dream job…

If he is. Give it to him as soon as possible, and fire Levein into the Tay. 

I don't know Tommy, at all but I imagine absolutely not.

The current job will pay him significantly more for I expect. 

I do know wife enjoyed Perth etc but can't see them moving back so it all but rules them out.

I  absolutely expect our next manager to be some random American. I just cannot see them see them picking anyone that isn't 🇺🇲

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Levein has made some decent signings under difficult circumstances in the summer - what happened for three years prior to his arrival was clearly a total shambles and it wasn’t an easy job to take on. 

He’s also made some massive mistakes that undermine any decent work he has done. Not signing a goalkeeper tried and tested at this level isn’t acceptable and that along with the running without a goalkeeper coach and not getting a couple of experienced defenders in will relegate us if not rectified soon. 

While probably not all totally Levein’s fault you’ve got to get your priorities right as a manager and he’s clearly not done that in the summer. His tactics and substitutions plus timing of them are also massively questionable so on that basis he’s not the right person to go forward with as manager in my opinion. 

19 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

Levein has made some decent signings under difficult circumstances in the summer - what happened for three years prior to his arrival was clearly a total shambles and it wasn’t an easy job to take on. 

He’s also made some massive mistakes that undermine any decent work he has done. Not signing a goalkeeper tried and tested at this level isn’t acceptable and that along with the running without a goalkeeper coach and not getting a couple of experienced defenders in will relegate us if not rectified soon. 

While probably not all totally Levein’s fault you’ve got to get your priorities right as a manager and he’s clearly not done that in the summer. His tactics and substitutions plus timing of them are also massively questionable so on that basis he’s not the right person to go forward with as manager in my opinion. 

Levein has made good signings, such as Adama, Kimpioka, Raymond, Keltjens and Kirk - so credit where due.

However, his freezing out of players has similar vibes to McLean's tenure.

Personally, I feel CL is best suited to a DOF role (not necessarily at Saints) as he can identify a player but fails miserably as a manager in terms of tactics, substitutions, game management.

The goalkeeper debacle is down to Levein having been focussed only on signing Craig Gordon and spent so long trying to convince him to sign that Gordon probably got put off, rather than buying into the club and signing. 

Levein put all his eggs in one basket with his pursuit on Gordon and when that didn't materialise he had no plan B.

Serious questions also need to be asked of Gus MacPherson - from what I see I have no idea what he has done as part of his job role and certainly nothing positive.

If we lose to County and then the likely defeats to OF we will be sitting on 3 points from 24!

I'll be very very much in the minority, but I'd give Levein the County game and if we lose, get rid. County is an absolute must win and then it is the Glasgow sides after that. Don't beat County and you effectively have 3 weeks to bring someone in.

I think Levein is capable of bringing in decent players and setting up a team from the start, but he has almost no in game management. Far far to slow to make changes and the glaring gaps in the squad given he had the whole summer to sort it is criminal.

Clearly the football department is broken, but I don't think Webb and/or the new CEO will feel they have been in place long enough to change it.  I'd be surprised if he didn't still here after the next international break and no more points on the board.