Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Is anyone feeling a bit meh about the appointment?  I’m not totally against it but it doesn’t excite me. Have a gut feeling it’s not going to work. I haven’t really wanted him as manager since it was talked about when he was assistant, can’t quite put my finger on why though 

I mean who else would you rather have? John Robertsons ruled out, Levein would not be a signing most Saints fans would want, giving Cleland the job permanently isn't exactly an exciting decision. 

In terms of players connected with the club who are available and deserve a chance Davidson has gotta be the sensible choice. 

21 minutes ago, Doctor said:

I mean who else would you rather have? John Robertsons ruled out, Levein would not be a signing most Saints fans would want, giving Cleland the job permanently isn't exactly an exciting decision. 

In terms of players connected with the club who are available and deserve a chance Davidson has gotta be the sensible choice. 

I wouldn’t have minded Andy Morrison 

23 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Is anyone feeling a bit meh about the appointment?  I’m not totally against it but it doesn’t excite me. Have a gut feeling it’s not going to work. I haven’t really wanted him as manager since it was talked about when he was assistant, can’t quite put my finger on why though 

I'm sure I've said a few times I have a bad feeling about him, but thats based on absolutely nothing.

If he hadn't been at the club before I'd be thinking its an exciting out of the box appointment of an experienced young football man whos taking a step up after putting in the work.

Theres not a single argument for not hiring him, IMO, unless you go down this fabled route of an "experienced" manager, which generally just means someone whos failed elsewhere and has set ideas. Davidson has been away from the club and has since experienced Scottish Championship football, an English Championship relegation battle, and then an English Championship play off battle as an Assistant. You'd struggle to find anyone else with that sort of experience.

27 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I’m the same, and I can’t explain it either. Not disappointed, but not excited the way I would be if, for example, a manager like Neil Warnock was taking the reins.

Just clocked a Millwall fan claiming Davidson was "the tactical brains behind Rowett and a vital cog", which sounds familiar. 

I think there’s a reason we looked poorer for a period after Davidson left. Dare I say there was a reason that Scotland looked better defensively when he joined them as well. He’s clearly very highly regarded and that bodes well in getting ideas on the pitch. The issue will be if he can get the players respect and not be their mate, he needs to be the leader and figurehead.

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Probably because he got a hiding from a 3ft 2 Dennis Wise.

I has the same thoughts about Tommy. I've given up trying to reconcile my own deluded misconceptions against reality.

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

That ‘fan’ attitude that we all get caught up in at times, and that so many football owners in Scotland have often taken, and the reason they Invariably f**k up...

The ego driven appointment where they believe they’re thinking out the box, coming up with someone that nobody else considered. The masterstroke that shows how much smarter they are than everyone else.  The last 25 years of Scottish football has been littered with them; ask Hearts fans about Cathro or Stendel as recent examples.

Either that or one of the perennial failures of Scottish football who float between clubs.

Instead, we’ve gone for a  bright, motivated young manager who played at a good level and will get the respect of players. Someone who knows the club inside out and that the club know what he’s all about. A proven coach, and a successful one here who has contacts down south for potential players.

There are absolutely no guarantees in this, but on paper it’s about as good an appointment as we could have hoped for.  Personally, I’m right behind it, and not feeling the negativity at all.

I think Davidson is about as risk free as it gets. He knows the players, the coaches, the board, the constraints of working within our budget and has plenty of experience coaching and playing at a high level. It might not work out but he seems as likely to be a success as anyone. If he brings in Steven Maclean then all the better :wub: 

Edited by Kyle

I don't think it is risk free as he has never been a manager. People often overlook the fact that Tommy Wright had nearly 300 games as a manager behind him. He'd made his mistakes with Limavady, Ballymena and Distillery. 

But we've had managers before with no managerial experience (and far less coaching experience than CD), so it needn't be a huge cause for concern. 

It goes in the worries box, along with how much he will get out of the chairman but that second point is balanced by the fact he has plenty of experience of dealing with Steve Brown and obviously doesn't see it as a barrier. He isn't the character of Tommy Wright but then nobody was going to be. 

You then look at the boxes he does tick and it's hard to envisage coming up with a better candidate. Knowing the club doesn't always have to be a prerequisite but when you have a good candidate that does, it's a real bonus. This is a man who nearly 30 years ago came into a youth system that the club are now wanting to really focus on and is a living example of what players in the academy can go on to achieve.

He's a man who knows how successful the club can be having been part of two of the best ever squads, there should be no repeat of the attitude that doomed Billy Stark, an uninspiring character who was quite happy finishing third in the First Division. Callum Davidson knows what football is about at McDiarmid and is local to the area.

The finishing touches if you have someone that meets those criteria is a man that has contacts in the game: we have an international footballer who is not long off 7 years in our league but has recent coaching experience down a division and at both ends of the Championship in England. He played with many of today's managers and coaches during a good career both up here and at the top level down south. I reckon the term that Geoff Brown would use is a contacts book full to bursting. 

There's no reason for anyone not to be right behind Callum Davidson from off. 

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

The ego driven appointment where they believe they’re thinking out the box, coming up with someone that nobody else considered. The masterstroke that shows how much smarter they are than everyone else.  The last 25 years of Scottish football has been littered with them; ask Hearts fans about Cathro or Stendel as recent examples.

nailed it the office GIF

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If he hadn't been at the club before I'd be thinking its an exciting out of the box appointment of an experienced young football man whos taking a step up after putting in the work.

That's what makes most sense about the appointment. If we were appointing him out of sentiment as a former player I'd be worried. But if Davidson had never been near Saints, I'd look at his coaching experience and think it's a good fit.