Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Mate, this isn’t trolling, this is just you making a c**t of yourself. 

Can you just take the absolute mauling with a bit of class and vacate the thread. Best for those having to read this and also yourself so you don’t look so moronic. 

The 'absolute mauling'? A 1-0 victory at home? 

I'm a fully paid up Platinum Member, btw...so I'll post where and when I want. 

15 minutes ago, Widge said:

No, I don’t think anyone involved at St Johnstone will be helping you find a solution to anything if I’m being honest.

Nah, dealing with crowds isn't really a St. Johnstone thing.

37 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I see you're a highly intelligent individual, perhaps you can help.

As one of the more prestigious clubs in Scottish football, St. Mirren, along with the Old Firm, have been selected to take part in a trial allowing fans back into the stadium in two weeks' time. The trouble is we have 3,200 season ticket holders and it might be hard to maintain adequate social distancing if they were all permanent entry. Do you think you might be able to help the club find a solution to this problem? 

l  hate to ruin your wee wet dream that you're team is somehow being viewed on parallel with the Old Firm but I'm sorry to say you've not been selected "along with the Old Firm" You've volunteered alongside Rangers & ROSS COUNTY....

Ps. It must be a fucking nightmare being your carer. You're hard work. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

So much to like about that performance, but vital that we got the three points to give the players confidence in themselves, and the manager's system, after the two previous results.

Danny Mac probably with our second most shots at goal this season (RG do your thing!) after Hendry. When he gets his composure in front of goal he'll be an even bigger asset.  Said in the match thread, must be up there with the best signings of the season so far in Scottish football.

You could see Davdsons had a word with the wing backs; good to see Scott Tanser getting on the end of a cross and trying to contribute in an attacking sense. Still get frustrated at his contribution; he's got loads of talent, a great left foot and decent pace, not that dissimilar to McNamara, but just seems to ghost through game's content not to make mistakes, lacking in confidence.  I want to see him take folk on and put balls in behind. If we get both sides as dangerous as the right looked today, we'll create loads.

May and Conway linked up really well several times. You see how much things opened up for us after we scored, and we looked lively on the break.  If we can take the lead in more games, we could take a few teams apart when they have to come out and chase the game.

A lot of good performances, but Ali McCann just makes the game so easy. Keeps possession almost every pass, always playing the obvious ball and as reliable a player as you'll see, more so than most far older players.  He won't get the headlines of the likes of Turnbull doing occasional spectacular things, but I can't believe folk who know the game from big clubs down south aren't aware of how effective a player he is at just 20 years old.

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You could see Davdsons had a word with the wing backs; good to see Scott Tanser getting on the end of a cross and trying to contribute in an attacking sense. Still get frustrated at his contribution; he's got loads of talent, a great left foot and decent pace, not that dissimilar to McNamara, but just seems to ghost through game's content not to make mistakes, lacking in confidence.  I want to see him take folk on and put balls in behind. If we get both sides as dangerous as the right looked today, we'll create loads.

I might be wrong, as I've not delved too far into looking at it, but i feel like Kerr plays a big part in this.

Hes constantly going beyond McNamara, which gives him a couple of options and allows link up play. How often does McCart go beyond Tanser?

Tried to watch for it yesterday and I can only remember McCart getting beyond him once, and it wasn't with conviction, more a "I've been told to run here" thing.

Means that while McNamara generally has a pass to Kerr down the wing, usually a CM in field, and he was getting MOH making runs down his side in the first half too, Tanser generally only has a pass to a CM sideways, or a pass back to McCart. 

I dont think he takes defenders on as much as McNamara either, but he's also not getting as much help from his CB.

I might be wrong, as I say, but its just something that stood out.

Davidson - Won: 2 - Drawn: 1 - Lost: 3 - Pts: 7

Wright - Won: 2 - Drawn: 2 - Lost: 2 - Pts: 8

Lomas - Won: 2 - Drawn: 1 - Lost: 3 - Pts: 7

McInnes - Won: 0 - Drawn: 3 - Lost: 3 - Pts: 3

Feels the right time with the break coming up for this, really early, comparison of each managers first 6 top flight games in charge.

Also, Clark is apparently back for the next game, as it stands.

Would anyone drop him for Parish, who lifted his curse this weekend?

Looking at the xGC figures are interesting...

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, Clark is apparently back for the next game, as it stands.

Would anyone drop him for Parish, who lifted his curse this weekend?

Looking at the xGC figures are interesting...

It would feel more like dropping Parish for Clark tbh.

Keep the current setup for the time being and see how he gets on, and give Zander a run out in the league cup games. See how fit/hungry he is.

21 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Danny Mac probably with our second most shots at goal this season (RG do your thing!) after Hendry.

Aye, WyScout have him second with 10 shots, Hendry has 15. 3rd is MOH on 8.

If you do it "per 90", then he drops to 4th behind Olaofe and MOH.

His shots on target percentage is actually higher than Hendrys though, worryingly.

Hendrys xG isn't far off last seasons per 90 (0.46 last season, 0.41 this season). His season is likely to turn pretty soon if he keeps plugging away (even Chris Kane, generally, gets close to his xG).

Aye, WyScout have him second with 10 shots, Hendry has 15. 3rd is MOH on 8.
If you do it "per 90", then he drops to 4th behind Olaofe and MOH.
His shots on target percentage is actually higher than Hendrys though, worryingly.
Hendrys xG isn't far off last seasons per 90 (0.46 last season, 0.41 this season). His season is likely to turn pretty soon if he keeps plugging away (even Chris Kane, generally, gets close to his xG).
I think there's a couple of factors that have an effect on Hendry.

Firstly we've created very few clear cut chances for him. Probably yesterday was the first time he's had a couple of 'real' sniffs at goal and should have done a bit better with at least one of them.

Then often, by pressing, he wins possession in the final third but then more or less has to go it alone. Too much time to think about his finishing. Not saying he can't finish like this (Motherwell and Rangers last season spring to mind) but Callum is a better finisher when it comes to instinct.

8 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I think there's a couple of factors that have an effect on Hendry.

Firstly we've created very few clear cut chances for him. Probably yesterday was the first time he's had a couple of 'real' sniffs at goal and should have done a bit better with at least one of them.

Then often, by pressing, he wins possession in the final third but then more or less has to go it alone. Too much time to think about his finishing. Not saying he can't finish like this (Motherwell and Rangers last season spring to mind) but Callum is a better finisher when it comes to instinct.

Hes definitely not getting the same "quality" of chances. His goals last season came from chances worth...

0.68, 0.2, 0.27, 0.28, 0.05, 0.13, 0.52. Only two goals from below 0.2 chances, the one against Motherwell in February, then the opener against Rangers at McDiarmid. These are rated low due to the position he was in, but both times he was virtually 1 on 1 with the keeper.

Hes only had 3 shots worth over 0.2 this season. The early chance v Rangers (0.23) where he was under heavy pressure, the free kick against Killie (0.28) on the very edge of the box, and then the header against St Mirren (0.2). 

As you say, most of his goals last season were once touch finishes/headers, and all of them came within the area, most within 12 yards. Think the system has seen him dropping deep due to the lack of central midfield, yesterday with Conway in the "10", it allowed Hendry to stay up the park a bit more. Feels like you'd more often see Hendry passing the ball to the crosser in previous games.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes only had 3 shots worth over 0.2 this season. The early chance v Rangers (0.23) where he was under heavy pressure, the free kick against Killie (0.28) on the very edge of the box, and then the header against St Mirren (0.2). 

And the actual goal that he scored against Hibs. What does XG do when a goal is scored but incorrectly disallowed?

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

And the actual goal that he scored against Hibs. What does XG do when a goal is scored but incorrectly disallowed?

Its not counted as a shot.

He might not have scored yet, but I think Hendry had looked very lively so far this season.

He scored a good goal against Hibs, and the 1v1's against rangers and yesterday possibly should have been goals, but were both on target. Should have done better with his header yesterday and won one against killie that went wide. Hes also had a few shots from distance.

He looks like a proper centre forward to me; plays with a swagger and hunger for goals, loves a physical battle and has a few tricks up his sleeve to beat a player. His hold up play hasn't been great since he came into the team, but I thought in the first half yesterday it looked much better, and he had a few well played lay offs to teammates.  He's decent in the air, has nicked the ball off defenders a few times and must be a pest to play against.

He suffered from being too isolated in our first few matches, but going to the more recent 2 strikers with a supporting player in behind suits him much better.  May coming back into the team will help him a lot.

I honestly think once he gets his goal he'll kick on and get double figures. I don't think there's too many weaknesses in his game, and think he'll get a decent move in a couple of seasons.

Not saying he's been great so far this season, still a fair bit to come yet, especially in terms of goals, but I've seen enough last season and this to not be too worried about his ability at this level at all.