Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, tree house tam said:

Canny really remember but Sergie did like to play sweeper. That side would absolutely pump our current one.

He seemed to me to play sweeper with just Inglis as the other defender. Sergie was a glorious player, pinging 60 yard passes onto Moore's toes. Inglis was very decent as well.

Tommy Treanor was some player. 

I was just going off the PA report: "... the new back four with Sergei Baltacha sweeping up behind, looked effective. Gary McGinnis did a superb marking job, giant John Inglis grew a centimetre or two in confidence and Mark Treanor and Don McVicar worked tirelessly."

17 minutes ago, Radford said:

Tommy Treanor was some player. 

I was just going off the PA report: "... the new back four with Sergei Baltacha sweeping up behind, looked effective. Gary McGinnis did a superb marking job, giant John Inglis grew a centimetre or two in confidence and Mark Treanor and Don McVicar worked tirelessly."

It was an entertaining game but I remember we got beat quite handily. Sergei, Inglis, Moore and Maskrey would get in the current team pretty easily.

Am I allowed to go full w****r?

Luke McCowan is a 22yo winger at Ayr who pretty much tops every attacking rank for U23 players in that division last season for wingers, barring a couple where Appere comes out on top, and is out of contract next Summer.

Type of player I'd hope we're looking at.

2 hours ago, Johnstoun said:

One Treanor was a Turner. A lot of the letters are the same though!

Pretty sure we were 4-3-3 too with McGinnis in midfield.

Yes that's how I remember us playing. Back 4 with Sergi sweeping behind big Jinglis. McGinnis, Turner and Curran in midfield.

Wasnt that the match we lost 3-1 to Dundee United?  Their keeper was sent off, no sub keepers on the bench in those days so a player (Billy McKinlay maybe, not sure?) went in goal.  They brought on 16 year old Christian Dailly late on who was a striker back then, we had them hemmed in chasing an equaliser in the dying minutes when Dailly ran with the ball half the length of the park and scored the clincher.

Thats how I remember it, and fairly sure that was the opening game of our first premier league season at McDiarmid, but I might be well off here and talking about the wrong match altogether..!

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Am I allowed to go full w****r?

Luke McCowan is a 22yo winger at Ayr who pretty much tops every attacking rank for U23 players in that division last season for wingers, barring a couple where Appere comes out on top, and is out of contract next Summer.

Type of player I'd hope we're looking at.

Never seen him, but agree definitely the type of profile for us. Just need to look at McCart, Polworth, Nisbet etc to see that the right signing from that level can comfortably make the step up.

Fairly certain Dailly started the match Paulo, he did clinch it fairly late on with some goal, 16 at the time as you said. It was Alan Main that got sent off but can't remember who then went in goals. Darren Jackson got their other two goals, Harry Curran for us.

Some atmosphere at the game from what remember as fresh faced nine year old at time!

7 hours ago, Costanza said:

Fairly certain Dailly started the match Paulo, he did clinch it fairly late on with some goal, 16 at the time as you said. It was Alan Main that got sent off but can't remember who then went in goals. Darren Jackson got their other two goals, Harry Curran for us.

Some atmosphere at the game from what remember as fresh faced nine year old at time!

You're right, big Mixu came on for him on the report. I also remembered the third goal being right at the end, but apparently there was still 11 minutes to go.

One thing I don't think that report mentions, just from a quick glance, is that Harry Curran scored another goal at 0-0 which was disallowed. One was a wonder volley from outside the box, not sure if that was the one that stood or not. The scoreboard had 1-0 Saints for a while and I was that pleased we were beating them I was wishing I could get a picture of the scoreboard. 

There was loads of Utd fans at school, there was even a Utd supporters bus went from Perth every week. They were a big deal at the time, and I'd never seen us ahead against them; they weren't the shitey wee yo yo outfit they are these days.  I wasn't sure I'd ever see us beating them again.. if only I'd known what was in store 24 years later I might have stayed in touch with some of those Arab c***s.

Davidson commenting on signings today, talks about hoping to have some in "over the next month or so", and how long the window is this season.

Whats going to come first? The next signing, or the away top?

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Davidson commenting on signings today, talks about hoping to have some in "over the next month or so", and how long the window is this season.

Whats going to come first? The next signing, or the away top? 

Whats going to come first? The next signing, the away top, or our next win

I joke. I hope!!! 

Yes that's how I remember us playing. Back 4 with Sergi sweeping behind big Jinglis. McGinnis, Turner and Curran in midfield.
Wasnt that the match we lost 3-1 to Dundee United?  Their keeper was sent off, no sub keepers on the bench in those days so a player (Billy McKinlay maybe, not sure?) went in goal.  They brought on 16 year old Christian Dailly late on who was a striker back then, we had them hemmed in chasing an equaliser in the dying minutes when Dailly ran with the ball half the length of the park and scored the clincher.
Thats how I remember it, and fairly sure that was the opening game of our first premier league season at McDiarmid, but I might be well off here and talking about the wrong match altogether..!
Pretty sure Dailly played from the start.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:
20 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Pretty sure Dailly played from the start.

Yes, see the chat 3 posts above yours.

21 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Never seen him, but agree definitely the type of profile for us. Just need to look at McCart, Polworth, Nisbet etc to see that the right signing from that level can comfortably make the step up.

Pretty much. Think Robbie Deas, Iain Wilson, Dan Pybus and Luke McCowan all verging on having breakthrough seasons on paper. Would hope theres someone at the club keeping an actual eye on them in matches to see whether the figures translate onto the actual pitch.

Feel like I'm probably annoying folk now, but found a prototype DM I'd love whos free.

Kenny Dougall freed from Barnsley this Summer. Plays as a DM. Compared him to our 19/20 midfielders over the course of his 18/19 League One season, then 19/20 Championship season. Played a touch more passes than Holt, but played more "progressive" passes than any central midfielder we had. Sits in the middle of them in terms of a mix between short/long, forward/backwards passes. Low for interceptions, but high for causing turnovers by pressing attacking players.

Apparently a major player for Barnsley in their League One title winning side, and tipped to move on to a larger side, but broke his leg in March 2019. Recovered last season and played 11 games for them in the Championship, was expected to extend his deal until Covid hit. Club didnt offer him a deal so he left before their season ended, back in June, and is still without a club. Aussie with a Scottish dad, 27, and apparently 6ft.

No idea how realistic it is, but he seems unlikely to get a Championship gig so we'd be competing with League One sides who are wage capped. Type of talent you maybe get a bit cheaper due to his injuries, but whos good enough to stay in your line up for years.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pretty much. Think Robbie Deas, Iain Wilson, Dan Pybus and Luke McCowan all verging on having breakthrough seasons on paper. Would hope theres someone at the club keeping an actual eye on them in matches to see whether the figures translate onto the actual pitch.

Feel like I'm probably annoying folk now, but found a prototype DM I'd love whos free.

Kenny Dougall freed from Barnsley this Summer. Plays as a DM. Compared him to our 19/20 midfielders over the course of his 18/19 League One season, then 19/20 Championship season. Played a touch more passes than Holt, but played more "progressive" passes than any central midfielder we had. Sits in the middle of them in terms of a mix between short/long, forward/backwards passes. Low for interceptions, but high for causing turnovers by pressing attacking players.

Apparently a major player for Barnsley in their League One title winning side, and tipped to move on to a larger side, but broke his leg in March 2019. Recovered last season and played 11 games for them in the Championship, was expected to extend his deal until Covid hit. Club didnt offer him a deal so he left before their season ended, back in June, and is still without a club. Aussie with a Scottish dad, 27, and apparently 6ft.

No idea how realistic it is, but he seems unlikely to get a Championship gig so we'd be competing with League One sides who are wage capped. Type of talent you maybe get a bit cheaper due to his injuries, but whos good enough to stay in your line up for years.

Send him an email telling him Saints want him to come up to training for a week. Callum surely wouldn't turn the lad away. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

Send him an email telling him Saints want him to come up to training for a week. Callum surely wouldn't turn the lad away. 

TBF the last boy I talked about thinking would be a good fit has not long signed for Blackpool, so its not a promising start.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF the last boy I talked about thinking would be a good fit has not long signed for Blackpool, so its not a promising start.

When Steve Lomas went to Millwall, there was a guy called Alex Aldridge who essentially ran a fan account. He's now Head of Recruitment at Stoke City, having filled the same role at The Den.

Dream big @RandomGuy. and you'll be getting the adulation reserved for Steve Brown and Kirsten Robertson in a few years.

Get those dossiers compiled and sent in to McDiarmid. 

Edited by Radford