Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

46 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I’ll be interested to find out what will happen with the people who took the finance option. I applied for mines 30 minutes after they went on sale and then waited a month for it to be completed. So no idea if I’m one of the first or the last. 

Saints COULD use the datetime stamp that will be against each purchase so to identify the orders on first come first served basis. They likely won't have direct access to that info but online service provider would be able it quite easily provide.

Will they do that though? Probably not 😂 would be a wee bit crap to say to folk who pay monthly "you're bottom of the list". 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

38 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Hard one to take today, thought we were comfortably the better team, but no composure in the final third. Thought the centre backs were really good, Kerr especially. 

Much better than Thursday and signs of improvement. 

Reminiscent to the start of last season, IMO.

Decent enough build up, don't look particularly troubled, but never score. Concede when defender makes error and lose.

Personally I thought we played well today. Hendry as part of a front 3 isn’t quite working, would rather see us go back to the 3-5-2 when muzz is back. Definitely light of a CM and creative winger/attacking midfielder. But not far off being comfortable in this league. 4 big games coming up thought so have to get it right very soon.

I'm happier with that second half performance as well.

Soft penalty but Gordon gives a dreadful ref a decision to make, crazy. 

Thought first half was fairly stagnant as per most of our performances so far, but much better in possession after dropping Conway into an attacking midfield role and playing with the two strikers.

Kerr was class, and MacNamara great going forward down the right doing a proper wing backs role.. Scott 'just drifting my way through a match' Tanser take note.

Have to say Davidson seems to have breathed new life into O'Halloran. He's not getting much joy in possession overall so far, but he's looking hungry and sharp, and working harder than I've ever seen him.

Two undeserved 0-1 defeats against teams who were expected to be top five, and lets be honest both were dogshite (as were we for 3/4 of those two matches). We just need to get in our groove and string a couple of wins together.

If it takes a couple of frustrating defeats to finally bin the 3-4-3 system, then I'll accept it.  We'll learn quite a bit about what our season holds in store from our starting line up next week.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Reminiscent to the start of last season, IMO.

Decent enough build up, don't look particularly troubled, but never score. Concede when defender makes error and lose.

Don't agree. We were comfortable until that poor decision by Gordon and Beaton in the dying minutes. We'd looked fairly solid up until then.

The start of last season we looked like conceding every time the opposition came forward or put a ball in the box. 0-7 at Celtic, 0-4 at Motherwell, 0-2 at st Mirren, 1-4 v Hibs to name just a few.  It wasn't until Gordon came back into the side permanently at the start of December in the 0-0 at killie that we had a fairly solid defence that gave the rest of the team confidence.  It allowed Kerr to trust his partner and not go rushing about making crazy decisions trying to do everyone else's job, and get his own form back.

Admire folk trying to give an optimistic assessment of that. Better in the second half certainly but that was turgid stuff again. Don’t want to single a guy out but Conway is a complete passenger, not taken to him at all. System doesn’t suit the players but we desperately need some fresh faces in. The midfield next week is going to be interesting.

18 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Admire folk trying to give an optimistic assessment of that. Better in the second half certainly but that was turgid stuff again. Don’t want to single a guy out but Conway is a complete passenger, not taken to him at all. System doesn’t suit the players but we desperately need some fresh faces in. The midfield next week is going to be interesting.

The only quality ball into the box for Callum to score was from Conway!  

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

MacNamara great going forward down the right doing a proper wing backs role..

If only he could cross, he'd be a great player.

I'm conscious that not being in the stadium blurs the picture but I haven't enjoyed our actual performances over the past week at all. 

I agree there is a similarity to the start of last season and the home losses to Killie and Motherwell. The difference then was that we knew what the manager was looking to do with the squad, so there was optimism that things would improve. 

The new manager gives so little away that we don't even know if he's still looking for players, let alone in what positions. We have a small squad and he doesn't seem bothered in the slightest about that.

I genuinely think a big part of the reason there is a bit of restlessness already is that the manager doesn't engage with the support at all. Doing that would go a long way at the moment.

I'm conscious that not being in the stadium blurs the picture but I haven't enjoyed our actual performances over the past week at all. 
I agree there is a similarity to the start of last season and the home losses to Killie and Motherwell. The difference then was that we knew what the manager was looking to do with the squad, so there was optimism that things would improve. 
The new manager gives so little away that we don't even know if he's still looking for players, let alone in what positions. We have a small squad and he doesn't seem bothered in the slightest about that.
I genuinely think a big part of the reason there is a bit of restlessness already is that the manager doesn't engage with the support at all. Doing that would go a long way at the moment.

That’s a fair point but on the subject of new signings did Tommy not say post match that CD had told him we were in discussions to bring some more in soon? Appreciate this doesn’t help the not engaging directly with fans but might help the restlessness about the squad size which undoubtedly is concerning.

Can't decide if I like Davidsons post match interview.

On one hand him saying the offside goal shouldn't matter as we should be scoring other times, and that the penalty decision was down to Gordon giving the ref a chance to make the decision, is what my thoughts were. And its nice to have a manager interview and not cringe with embarrassment. 

On the other hand I wanted him to be absolutely seething, as the players clearly were. What happened when he went into a dressing room full of seething players and he told them they're to blame?

We need to beat St Mirren next week, IMO. Maybe hyperbolic but theres a real negative vibe with fans just now. Maybe getting supporters back in can influence things.

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Not another Drey Wright!!

As a side note thought Wright was absolutely stinking when he came on for Hibs. 

McNamara is a better defender then Wright and I think has better game intelligence. Final ball needs worked on and some might criticise him for this shots from outside the box, but he's had 2 in the last 2 games and they've both been on target. 

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

On the other hand I wanted him to be absolutely seething, as the players clearly were. What happened when he went into a dressing room full of seething players and he told them they're to blame?

We need to beat St Mirren next week, IMO. Maybe hyperbolic but theres a real negative vibe with fans just now. Maybe getting supporters back in can influence things.

He was clearly utterly seething on the Sportsound interview. Have to assume that the Saints TV one (if that' the one you mean) was later on. 

I don't think he was blaming the players, but there were individual mistakes. The officials made more (game-changing) mistakes than St Johnstone last night, IMO. 

St Mirren will, I predict, be tougher than Aberdeen or possible even then Hibs last night. Also, if we do get fans back it will only be a test number and it's not clear if they'll be allowed to shout or sing.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

As a side note thought Wright was absolutely stinking when he came on for Hibs. 

Ah, Drey Wright. He ran the length of the pitch on the left, beating three or more men and won a throw in near the bye line. Typical. So much effort, so little reward.