Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Out of interest is Wyscout expensive?

£275.

But you can get a slimline version for free.

It has a rating for teams high pressing. "PPDA", how many passes opposition teams are allowed in their own half before being challenged.

We're currently the worst ranked side for the high press...

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Oh - one more thing - Conway looks like he just doesn't care. Early on he looks as poor a signing as McNamara looks good. 

Craig's 35 and probably past it at this level but if you're going to bring in a guy at that stage of his career the least you can do is ask him to play his normal game. Craig was never a guy to go past his opponent on the outside and whip in a cross. His game is to cut back inside and swing in a ball to the far post. From the left. He could still do that, I'm sure. He had plenty of chances to do that the other night but was on the wrong side of the pitch and the crosses were pish as a result. If you're going to bring him on to swing balls in at least put him in the correct position.

But, yeah, he's probably past it.

On whether he looks like he cares, he's never been a guy to do much off the ball or look like he's busting his gut. He does a particular job (keep the ball, get into a decent position and swing the ball in) and he does it well (or at least used to) . Nonsense to stick him on the wrong side of pitch at 35 and ask him to be an entirely different type of player.

31 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Craig's 35 and probably past it at this level but if you're going to bring in a guy at that stage of his career the least you can do is ask him to play his normal game. Craig was never a guy to go past his opponent on the outside and whip in a cross. His game is to cut back inside and swing in a ball to the far post. From the left. He could still do that, I'm sure. He had plenty of chances to do that the other night but was on the wrong side of the pitch and the crosses were pish as a result. If you're going to bring him on to swing balls in at least put him in the correct position.

But, yeah, he's probably past it.

On whether he looks like he cares, he's never been a guy to do much off the ball or look like he's busting his gut. He does a particular job (keep the ball, get into a decent position and swing the ball in) and he does it well (or at least used to) . Nonsense to stick him on the wrong side of pitch at 35 and ask him to be an entirely different type of player.

Conway played almost exclusively on the right for Salford last season aswell, and seems to have ended his time at Blackburn there too.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

If he rolls it to the left (MOH?)  with his next touch we almost certainly go a goal up.

That game deserved to finish 0-0. Neither team really looked like scoring at any point, and it’s no surprise the only goal came from a tame shot taking a deflection. We desperately need a) to make sure our system - whatever it is - plays to the strengths of the likes of McCann and Hendry. McCann need to be able to get on to the ball in better positions and drive into space in the box when he isn’t on it. Hendry needs early balls into the box that he can attack. I don’t doubt for a second that getting May and Davidson into our XI just now would make an enormous difference. We also clearly need far better options off the bench. I’m still half way holding out hope that Matt Butcher is a possibility for a return...

If your bringing may and Davidson in, who drops out? I just don’t see anyone we currently have making any difference while we are using this system/formation 

6 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

If your bringing may and Davidson in, who drops out? I just don’t see anyone we currently have making any difference while we are using this system/formation 

Would guess Craig out and Davidson in is obvious. Last season Davidson outperformed Craig in every defensive metric possible, even in terms of keeping the ball in his own half.

This could free McCann up.

If not, McCann has shown he can play as a defensive spoiler (no matter how much of a waste that is), while Davidson adds another aerial threat in the opposition box, again something you don't really get from Craig.

Davidson averages just under 2 long passes a game, Craig sits at over 10. Maybe we'll even keep the ball better?

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would guess Craig out and Davidson in is obvious. Last season Davidson outperformed Craig in every defensive metric possible, even in terms of keeping the ball in his own half.

This could free McCann up.

If not, McCann has shown he can play as a defensive spoiler (no matter how much of a waste that is), while Davidson adds another aerial threat in the opposition box, again something you don't really get from Craig.

Davidson averages just under 2 long passes a game, Craig sits at over 10. Maybe we'll even keep the ball better?

Yeah that’s the obvious one and I agree Muzz brings more than Liam. Was more wondering who you bring may in for? Surely could only be Hendry? 

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Agree with Craig out for Muzz but can’t see may swapping with spoony

Yep. You'd want them both ideally but if Davidson wants to play this way, one of them is on the bench. 

Hendy can't really work with anyone else, and Spoony isn't a hold up-striker. If we want 3 up front for me the first 2 names are May and Hendry. Spoony on the right instead and MOH out would be another option. 

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Yep. You'd want them both ideally but if Davidson wants to play this way, one of them is on the bench. 

Hendy can't really work with anyone else, and Spoony isn't a hold up-striker. If we want 3 up front for me the first 2 names are May and Hendry. Spoony on the right instead and MOH out would be another option. 

For me the formation has to go! Would love to see may and Hendry get a run of games as a 2. The more I think about Callum’s interview prior to the season starting when he said he wasn’t going to change much the more I get annoyed! 

7 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Yeah that’s the obvious one and I agree Muzz brings more than Liam. Was more wondering who you bring may in for? Surely could only be Hendry? 

Wotherspoon the obvious one.

May as an "inside left" seems to fit him, he'd offer more threat in the box than Wotherspoon, while working just as hard the other way.

You lose Wotherspoons ability to create chances though.

Suppose we'll likely find out how he'll fit in this set up at some point.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF we can look at the all figures we want, game probably swung on this moment2020-08-21_19-29-02.thumb.png.f052a2e9e5fde24658a24d5394e24cb7.png...

Total indecision throughout that chance. 

Run at the man on the right of the two infront commit him then can slip in Liam or use Liam as a decoy to shoot. Instead he dithered.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

8 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Total indecision throughout that chance. 

Run at the man on the right of the two infront commit him then can slip in Liam or use Liam as a decoy to shoot. Instead he dithered.

Aye.

Hendry really needs a goal to settle him down.

I hope nobody takes this too seriously, as it was just out of interest and boredom, but theres a free agent CM who almost matches Butcher quite well in terms of height, and in terms of stats, if you believe EFL League One form could be transferred over.

Boy called Jordan Williams, who walked away from Rochdale months ago now and is still a free agent. 6ft, defensive mid whos played CB.

You wonder if the salary caps down South could force someone like that North.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I hope nobody takes this too seriously, as it was just out of interest and boredom, but theres a free agent CM who almost matches Butcher quite well in terms of height, and in terms of stats, if you believe EFL League One form could be transferred over.

Boy called Jordan Williams, who walked away from Rochdale months ago now and is still a free agent. 6ft, defensive mid whos played CB.

You wonder if the salary caps down South could force someone like that North.

The salary cap is a massive win for Scottish and Conference sides. 

Covid already reducing clubs budgets and forcing better players to drop down leagues. The salary caps then prices out some clubs that generally the players who are required to drop down would have signed for are now then priced out by the cap or at very least forcing them to offer reduced wages that then makes the likes of the wages Saint's offer more competitive. 

🤞🤞🤞 There's some quality players out there. Just need to find them 😂

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

You should compile a dossier and send it to the club. @RandomGuy.

If he's utter shite though, we'll all.blame you for relegation. 

😂 I'd imagine theyve got genuine scouts for that, rather than some saft bored lad.