Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Aye those Courier articles are great, St Johnstone coverage really ramped up this season.

Take away the penalty and Sunday was Hibs lowest xG of the season aswell. On the cusp of a really good side.

45 minutes ago, Widge said:

It's actually a very good article from The Courier. 

It was definitely apparent in the second half that Kerr was told to gamble and push forward. I think the best thing about it was the fact that neither defensively or offensively Hibs could deal with it. There wasn't a time where their left winger or left back exploited the space left by Kerr. That for me was the positive thing on Sunday, the other point it makes about Hibs not conceding from open play was interesting. Whilst we didn't create a lot of chances, we certainly cut them open time and time again with relative ease. The aforementioned Kerr incidents, O'Halloran got in behind a number of times, McNamara had some good forays into the final third.

On reflection I think there was a lot to be positive about with saints. We're not conceding the silly goals we did last season and we're generally looking good in possession up until the final. A couple of tweaks here and their and we've got the players to score goals, maybe not create chances though. We need to find another solution when we get the ball wide, as crossing isn't working. Either we overload one side, or get to the byline and cut it back to waiting players. Either way it was a lot, lot better than against Aberdeen, but still missing that crucial cutting edge which we've struggled with a lot over the seasons. 

In part this is why I think that with Craig out the 4-4-2 diamond with Kerr sitting in front of the two centre-backs would work. 

As for lacking in the last 3rd, late last year we were really starting to see threat from the May/Hendry partnership, but Stevie's barely kicked a ball this year.  If we can get them firing again I agree, we could look really good. Would maybe need Callum to re-think the 3 up front though. 

8 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

In part this is why I think that with Craig out the 4-4-2 diamond with Kerr sitting in front of the two centre-backs would work. 

As for lacking in the last 3rd, late last year we were really starting to see threat from the May/Hendry partnership, but Stevie's barely kicked a ball this year.  If we can get them firing again I agree, we could look really good. Would maybe need Callum to re-think the 3 up front though. 

Problem with this is that by playing Kerr deep and in the middle, it allows a midfielder or striker to sit on him and negate any time he has on the ball. The way he was effective on Sunday was running from deep and moving at a time where he has nobody marking him. Typically wingers don't track fullbacks, let alone a centreback and even if they do he's got the strength to simply brush the aside. It was part of the reason Jack moved Drey Wright out left, he has the defensive side to stop Kerr and he did pretty well after that. 

I don't think a diamond works at all I'm afraid and it would leave an already exposed centre even more exposed. Whilst Kerr is good on the ball, he's played at centreback too long now for me to simply slip back into that position and when Wright tried it, he was totally lost. Davidson has been training for the last 2 weeks and should be fit, if he's not then play Wotherspoon there for a game and have McCann cover the defensive side, Conway looked better behind a front two as well, so he can always play where you'd want Spoony. It wouldn't surprise me to see Danny McNamara in there to be honest with Rooney at centreback, or why not give Ballantyne a chance? If he's ever going to make it, you've got to trust him to play.

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Problem with this is that by playing Kerr deep and in the middle, it allows a midfielder or striker to sit on him and negate any time he has on the ball. The way he was effective on Sunday was running from deep and moving at a time where he has nobody marking him. Typically wingers don't track fullbacks, let alone a centreback and even if they do he's got the strength to simply brush the aside. It was part of the reason Jack moved Drey Wright out left, he has the defensive side to stop Kerr and he did pretty well after that. 

I don't think a diamond works at all I'm afraid and it would leave an already exposed centre even more exposed. Whilst Kerr is good on the ball, he's played at centreback too long now for me to simply slip back into that position and when Wright tried it, he was totally lost. Davidson has been training for the last 2 weeks and should be fit, if he's not then play Wotherspoon there for a game and have McCann cover the defensive side, Conway looked better behind a front two as well, so he can always play where you'd want Spoony. It wouldn't surprise me to see Danny McNamara in there to be honest with Rooney at centreback, or why not give Ballantyne a chance? If he's ever going to make it, you've got to trust him to play.

Did Wright try a diamond? I don't recall that.  It's a fair point that he'd be marked strongly in that position but that ends up dragging a striker deep, so plusses and minuses as with any shape.

I agree though that if Davidson is fit then our options are much a stronger. I was trying to find a solution to only having one recognised centre-mid. We still need another option for a bit more depth in that position though. 

Conway was certainly improved in the Hibs game, looked more comfortable. Still don't think he should be a starting option. Rooney hasn't looked great and should remain on the bench IMO. Would certainly like to see Ballantyne get a shot but a bit risky in a starting line up I would have thought. 

36 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Did Wright try a diamond? I don't recall that.  It's a fair point that he'd be marked strongly in that position but that ends up dragging a striker deep, so plusses and minuses as with any shape.

I agree though that if Davidson is fit then our options are much a stronger. I was trying to find a solution to only having one recognised centre-mid. We still need another option for a bit more depth in that position though. 

Conway was certainly improved in the Hibs game, looked more comfortable. Still don't think he should be a starting option. Rooney hasn't looked great and should remain on the bench IMO. Would certainly like to see Ballantyne get a shot but a bit risky in a starting line up I would have thought. 

Hamilton away. It was a fucking disaster. 

Micheal O'Halloran constantly coming deep to collect the ball, into his own half etc and just running it into trouble. We got beat...

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

29 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

5-3-2 and if Davidson’s out play McCann, Spoony and O’Halloran as the three behind May and Hendry. Kerr’s still ‘spare’ to support McCann.

Poor McCann.

3 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Would certainly like to see Ballantyne get a shot but a bit risky in a starting line up I would have thought. 

Only ever seen clips of him, but he doesnt look up to Premiership standard yet, not unless it was part of a 3 man midfield. 

If you had Craig/Davidson and McCann behind him then you could get away with it, but even in League One last season he turned the ball over a lot while not creating much, so youd sort of be wasting an attacking role by putting him there.

Needs another loan move IMO.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

We'll have another CM option before Saturday.

Is that because were actively seeking one of more your intuition that you feel we'll bring someone in?

Problem we have now is if they're a free agent or on loan from down South they'll have not played for a while nor trained much. I know the other option is looking like Muzz who'll be similarly relatively not match fit though. 

Anyone in Scotland available?I imagine theres a few loan options at Celtic...

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

45 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Is that because were actively seeking one of more your intuition that you feel we'll bring someone in?

Problem we have now is if they're a free agent or on loan from down South they'll have not played for a while nor trained much. I know the other option is looking like Muzz who'll be similarly relatively not match fit though. 

Ewan Henderson probably the best of the young Celtic midfielders, but he was absolutely rank at County last season and offers nothing defensively.

Young boy Callum Connolly at Everton would surely be worth a  look. 26 League One games last season, can play CB or CM. Stick him into our side, and look at everyones numbers from last season, and he'd be our second best defensive midfielder behind McCann, and fit snugly between Craig and Davidson in terms of passing (more short passes than Craig, more accurate than Davidson). Won more headers than any of our CMs besides Davidson.

But thats all based on numbers.

Intuition mainly. I don't think Tommy would have revealed what Callum told him live on telly if there wasn't something close.

I remember him trying one v Partick in a midweek game at McDiarmid. Lawless was left unmarked for the entire first half and definitely scored one and either scored or set up another. We lost 2-1.

2 minutes ago, The Marly said:
6 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I remember him trying one v Partick in a midweek game at McDiarmid. Lawless was left unmarked for the entire first half and definitely scored one and either scored or set up another. We lost 2-1.

Pretty sure Callum Booth got the opening goal in that game, by virtue of the fact we had no right winger and he simply walked his way into our box and passed it into the back of the net with his right foot!

A diamond has never worked for saints and I'd be inclined to say that it never will given most of our success has been with wingers and strong fullbacks. 

I've rarely ever seen a 4-4-2 with the narrow diamond midfield be effective anywhere, except for at a team who simply has much better players than the opposition, and the likes of Roberto Carlos and Cafu in their prime at full back providing the attacking width.

It should be filed beside 5-2-3 in the cabinet of formations we should never use.