Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I might be wrong but I have the impression Tanser is desperate to return to England tbh. One we'll be aswell just accepting now and moving on from before any decent replacements are snapped up.

If taking the loan would allow us to actually, you know, build a squad for next season, then it would make complete sense, but I guess that's not what it's there for despite the bizarre decision to make it almost free money.

Club made a complete farce of the Summer window and so far are doing the same here. We've not signed, or even been linked to, a single player who I think could come in, perform to Premiership standard straight away, and also net us money down the line, since Davidson was hired, and I doubt that's all down to him.

Depending on the " small print" the loan is a no brainer! loans that have been picked up by companies during these times have favorable pay back times, low interest rates and even if you go tits up they are just writing them off! So as i don't think any have actually been paid out yet then it would appear there is a decision to be made if you actually want to take them and the terms! If it is a no brainer GB/SB will take it throw it into the bank account and leave it there with the other 2.8M for a rainy day. if it comes with too many terms they don't like taking loans/ spending money (especially that they don't have ) they will say no. 

As far as our Summer signings and now the winter signing period i think we have probably done the best we can with restrictions placed on the manager/ club .

I would imagine they all think we should have enough to scrape through this season and hope for a better situation next season and have the finances to back a more replacement strategy then. Only time will tell if that is the correct strategy.                 

I imagine the club will take the money now that it's interest free. 

At the moment there's no certainty regarding fans returning therefore no income stream in sight. 

The fact this new agreement has been arranged I get the impression it's work planning ahead for next season and beyond so suggests that fans won't be returning at the start of next season either, certainly not in any meaningful amounts. Not unexpected though let's be honest. 

I might be wrong but I have the impression Tanser is desperate to return to England tbh. One we'll be aswell just accepting now and moving on from before any decent replacements are snapped up.
If taking the loan would allow us to actually, you know, build a squad for next season, then it would make complete sense, but I guess that's not what it's there for despite the bizarre decision to make it almost free money.
Club made a complete farce of the Summer window and so far are doing the same here. We've not signed, or even been linked to, a single player who I think could come in, perform to Premiership standard straight away, and also net us money down the line, since Davidson was hired, and I doubt that's all down to him.
No, it's down to something called a "global pandemic"[emoji40][emoji849]

1 hour ago, Center half said:

I would imagine they all think we should have enough to scrape through this season and hope for a better situation next season and have the finances to back a more replacement strategy then. Only time will tell if that is the correct strategy.                 

I think it’s understandable the club want to minimise committing to contracts and spending money, when we have very reduced income and slight doubt over which division we’ll be playing in. 

I haven’t seen a lot of Middleton so don’t know if he’ll prove a worthwhile signing, but can see the logic in bringing in a player at this level where we’re not paying much of his wage as a short term measure in the current situation.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That’s surely the golden ticket that all clubs want to find though!
For every Kevin Nisbet, who cost way more than we can afford, there’s a Blair Alston, Ross Callachan, Stefan Scougall, David McMillan.

Wouldn’t Guy Melamed would come close to the category you describe?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t take a punt on these players, but there’s no guarantees. With a limited budget the manager has obviously prioritised proven professionals. Conway has had decent moments and contributed, and whilst I’ve not thought much of Bryson, the manager obviously trusts him enough to start ahead of our best player in the odd game.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

More than one top league club has made ambitious signings then had the cap out to supporters for help, or has slashed wages in recent weeks. 

Give Saints board some credit for its financial management.

57 minutes ago, The Marly said:

No, it's down to something called a "global pandemic"emoji40.pngemoji849.png

Well yeah, that doesn't mean we need to run with a 16 man outfield squad and only let the manager spend minimal money on 1 year deals for players who won't be here longer than that.

28 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That’s surely the golden ticket that all clubs want to find though!
For every Kevin Nisbet, who cost way more than we can afford, there’s a Blair Alston, Ross Callachan, Stefan Scougall, David McMillan.

Wouldn’t Guy Melamed would come close to the category you describe?

Yeah, it's a gamble, but their gambles you have to take. Only signing players who won't be there longer than a year is utterly pointless.

I don't think Melamed will be here next season no matter how his season goes.

4 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

More than one top league club has made ambitious signings then had the cap out to supporters for help, or has slashed wages in recent weeks. 

Give Saints board some credit for its financial management.

There's a middle ground between relying on 30+ year olds and refusing to let your manager plan for longer than a season in terms of signing, and spending beyond your means.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a middle ground between relying on 30+ year olds and refusing to let your manager plan for longer than a season in terms of signing, and spending beyond your means.

Yeah but you're making the implication that these 30+ year-old international players are the cheap option which I'm not sure I follow. I think they were signed because somebody – and I'd think Davidson would be instigator – thought they were the better option this season. Is there any evidence the manager's hands were tied, or are you assuming this?

Definitely an argument to be made that it was the wrong way to go – Bryson's as clear a waste of money as I hope to see – but as others have said our track record in signing promising players from lower leagues hasn't been great either.

Edited by Mr Heliums

21 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Yeah but you're making the assumption that these 30+ year-old international players are the cheap option which I'm not sure I follow. 

By most accounts Bryson is virtually pay-per-play, while Conway is 35 and was dumped by a mid-table EFL 2 side.

We got rid of Swanson, Anderson, McMillan and Wright this Summer, who were all apparently on large deals, and replaced them with those 2 + Melamed.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I agree with what you are saying RG regarding it being a far better operating model in normal. circumstances.  I certainly don’t want to see a squad full of ageing journeymen pros here for a final pay check.

But I think in the current situation the club should do whatever is felt to be the best option at this time.  And if that is the quick fix rather than long term speculating then so be it.

I also feel Rooney and McCart fit into that type of player; signed from a lower league who’ve done well for us and have potential to kick on.  I think we also have a few players we’ve brought through, and signed onto decent longer term deals, who have sell on potential.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I also feel Rooney and McCart fit into that type of player; signed from a lower league who’ve done well for us and have potential to kick on.  I think we also have a few players we’ve brought through, and signed onto decent longer term deals, who have sell on potential.

Aye, but when did any deal like that get done? Both those deals were done last January. 

Have we even renewed any youngsters contracts since March last year?

We're on course to pretty much miss an entire year despite being one of the most financially secure clubs in the country. Understand there's a pandemic etc., but we damage ourselves as much long term with inactivity as we would by overspending IMO.

Almost every signing we make this Summer will have to be flawless.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well yeah, that doesn't mean we need to run with a 16 man outfield squad and only let the manager spend minimal money on 1 year deals for players who won't be here longer than that.

Yeah, it's a gamble, but their gambles you have to take. Only signing players who won't be there longer than a year is utterly pointless.

Running with a16 man outfield squad ? We have had 18 al season with a 19th just added and apparently one more to come..

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but when did any deal like that get done? Both those deals were done last January. 

Have we even renewed any youngsters contracts since March last year?

We're on course to pretty much miss an entire year despite being one of the most financially secure clubs in the country. Understand there's a pandemic etc., but we damage ourselves as much long term with inactivity as we would by overspending IMO.

Almost every signing we make this Summer will have to be flawless.

Drama Queen found 😅

13 hours ago, realmadrid said:

31st May last year we had 2.8 million in the bank.

If we have not burnt through all of it then taking on the loan would not be a good idea.

Will we be in the top league for the next 20 years , 50 grand a year is a lot if your not in the top league.

With 2.8 million in bank you take the interest free loan (provided there are no exclusions for clubs with money and other terms are favourable) and invest it in as high a yield account as you can find.  This makes you money as the loan is interest free.

It also doesn't mean that you know better. Prudent financial management has served Saints well for longer than you've been around.

51 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Running with a16 man outfield squad ? We have had 18 al season with a 19th just added and apparently one more to come..

We've not "run with 18 all season", unless you're counting halfway through October , when Melamed signing took us up to that, as the start.

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:

It also doesn't mean that you know better. Prudent financial management has served Saints well for longer than you've been around.

Maybe. I'd be wary of repeating a situation that sees us in the second tier for a decade because it worked out alright last time, though, tbh.

Mistakes are mistakes whether they end up working out or not. We could finish 6th this season and I'd still say we've made a mistake in terms of transfers over the last 12 months.

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Debt is debt. I genuinely can't see Brown going for it.

I think he might as from a business aspect we don't know where our income is going to come from therefore we need to try and bridge this undetermined income gap. 

I'm of course speculating but I'm presuming that the reason they've gone back and renegotiated the loans etc is because they've been told fans aren't likely to be back in the foreseeable so something had to be done on the financial front.