Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, tree house tam said:

Like all those chances for Aberdeen?

You're a slaver.

I mean, Cosgrove had a free header from 6 yards in the first half, and that's before I even try and remember the others.

I mean, Cosgrove had a free header from 6 yards in the first half, and that's before I even try and remember the others.
Settle. Think we've defended well for the last three or four games coming into today.

Delighted saints got what they deserved today. Don't think we were as good in the St.Mirren, Hibs and Aberdeen games as we were earlier in the season in games lost but felt "luck" has balanced itself out. Performance was much better today and I'm glad the result reflected it.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think we're unbeaten since Boxing Day.

Shitfest v Aberdeen now acceptable as we won this IMO.

Defence an issue despite that, give away too many easy chances.

My simple brain looks at it this way. Melamed and Kane in a 5-3-2 and we create and, it seems lately, can convert chances. We can actually look quite dangerous. 

5-2-3 and we stifle games and become generally had to score against as we have midfielders that can break up play and slow things down in the middle. 

At the back by and large we're solid, with the ability to push up a little from the CB position with Kerr. Still not entirely convinced that the wing-backs are as strong defensively as would be ideal, particularly being pushed wide with the ball on the ground, but playing with WBs is pretty much by definition a compromise so that's probably livable-with. 

Hopefully Melamed is at a level of fitness that Davidson considers to be acceptable now as I don't see us playing 2 up front effectively without him, but perhaps our 5-2-3 can be a bit more threatening (particularly on the counter) with the inclusion of Middleton. 

For a relatively small squad I think we're in a pretty good position, and it's interesting that the reports seem to be that CD works the team very hard in training yet we've not had that many training injuries this year. Touch wood. 

All in all I think we're in reasonable shape but cannot be complacent. We've probably had more bad luck than good this season but perhaps the scales are starting to balance a little.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Got my formations mixed up

5 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Settle. Think we've defended well for the last three or four games coming into today.

We defend well for the most part, but there's always an occasion where a player is left unmarked in the box, and it's almost just luck whether they convert it.

Tshibola today, Murphy v Hibs, Cosgrove v Aberdeen.

It's definitely improving from earlier in the season, but still a worry it will hold us back.

The first half today looked like a return to the passive, dozy defending we saw a lot of during our bad run a month or two back.

I think since Accies at McD at the end of December we’ve looked much more solid, the opening half hour at hampden aside.

Looked much more on it in the second half today;  positive in closing down and attacking the ball.

One win from the 3 tough fixtures coming up should be the target to keep ourselves above trouble before heading into more winnable fixtures.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Just turned 21, and Ali McCann has now scored the same number of premiership goals for us as Paul Kane, Paul Hartley and Billy Dodds, all on 6.

Only Celtic and Rangers have scored more goals away from home than us in the premiership this season.  

It is honestly beyond me how we’re not fending off multiple seven figure bids for McCann. Scored a great goal today - but his all round play was just superb. Always knows when to take a touch and when to move it on, and his all round awareness is just exceptional. Superb.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

It is honestly beyond me how we’re not fending off multiple seven figure bids for McCann. Scored a great goal today - but his all round play was just superb. Always knows when to take a touch and when to move it on, and his all round awareness is just exceptional. Superb.

Suspect theres plenty of clubs watching him.

Getting a percentage of his next deal would be more important than what we get initially, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Should be breaking our transfer record.

I agree. The next percentage is important but we have him with 2 and a half years left on his contract. If Ryan fucking Porteous is worth £1 million, McCann is worth a whole lot more. 

Edited by Kyle

11 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Should be breaking our transfer record.

£2m+ and a 25% sell on clause, and we'd be rolling in it.

Also would set a marker down for any further sales.

16 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

That's my thoughts as well. There must have been serious enquiries.  I'm hoping Saints have just said not in this window, and we'll see a flurry of interest and rumours as the season nears its end.

With bologna taking Hickey in the summer, there may be more interest over there in Scottish football. I think his style of breaking up play, keeping possession and having great discipline is perfectly suited to the Italian game.  Possibly a bit far fetched, but surely a 21 year old full international is unlikely to go unnoticed amongst European scouts for very long.

You never know with percentages as injuries happen.

Hard to put a valuation on with the current crisis.

I'd be looking £1.5-2m with 25-30%?

I agree. The next percentage is important but we have him with 2 and a half years left on his contract. If Ryan fucking Porteous is worth £1 million, McCann is worth a whole lot more. 

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

We're not often blessed with young exciting players like him. By the time we're back he'll be gone 😭😂

I'd never thought of it like that, but you're right. Our best young player in a generation and we'll barely get to see half his games in person.

That's a massive shame and quite sobering.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I actually think Frimpong will be worth a fair bit more in the years to come, with the right coaching that is.

Porteous is a haddie.

He's got a lot of good attributes, confidence and speed certainly, but I've not seen enough of him to say that he's worth the price tag. 

In relative terms he's definitely at least 11 times better than Porteous though, but you're right that's because RP is fucking terrible.