Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

FWIW I hope he's able to read the criticism of him.

Always struck me as someone who needs adversity to thrive, and struggles when just expected to perform, if that makes sense. Beat games were always coming on when we were losing, or against Old Firm, IMO.

Giving him something to prove, someone to "beat", is the way to get the best out him again, would focus him on that instead of all his misses.

Had such high hopes for Callum Hendry this season. Really thought we had a player on our hands. Trying to think back to the start of the campaign and about his performances and whether there was much complaint about them. Hard to remember. 

Hope we haven't seen the last of him in a Saints shirt but not sure what the manager feels about him at the moment.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He massively outperformed it.

Someone like Steven MacLean was able to consistently outperform it for us, but to a lower level than Hendry did. When MacLean inevitably started missing chances though, he'd just kept going, getting in positions, and bagged them again eventually. 

Hendrys head went down, started getting wild with chances, kept missing them, and now barely plays so can't recover his form.

Mentally he seems weak as a striker. All the aggression/passion/technical ability in the world means absolutely nothing if you can't control your emotions. Hes clearly got massive ability, but if he doesn't sort his head out on the pitch he'll never fulfill it.

All IMO of course, before anyone goes mental at me. I just watched clips of all his misses this season and there's a clear progression in how upset he visibly is after each one. Almost in tears by the end.

Nah it doesn't help us. Hendry contracted for next season and does have potential. A lower league loan that's arguably below his level, where he can learn a lone striker role, bag goals and get confident, and return next season the best option IMO.

Arbroath would've been perfect. Lone striker, hard working side, Dick Campbell.

I was talking short term, if we bring in a no.1choice striker for the rest of this season, it’s a good deal imo

3 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I was talking short term, if we bring in a no.1choice striker for the rest of this season, it’s a good deal imo

We've signed a Millwall loanee, a kid who couldn't get a game for Hibs, and are apparently close to signing someone who couldn't earn a permanent deal with a mid-table second tier Dutch side.

I'd be astounded if we could find a better striker than May/Kane/Melamed/Hendry in this window.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've signed a Millwall loanee, a kid who couldn't get a game for Hibs, and are apparently close to signing someone who couldn't earn a permanent deal with a mid-table second tier Dutch side.

I'd be astounded if we could find a better striker than May/Kane/Melamed/Hendry in this window.

All that means he haw!

Unless you can xg me wrong 😏 

13 minutes ago, DavidSJFC01 said:

Hendry out on loan, Lafferty in on 6 month deal 👀

Lafferty in the 5-2-3 would be some laugh. Zero work ethic. 5-3-2 beside a worker though, that sounds more appealing. 

I'd genuinely be raging if we wasted 6 fucking months wages on another striker to waste in the 5-2-3. 

The four we have are all more than fine in a front two.

Two things on my mind. First of all, are we actually, properly, in form?! 3 wins and a draw in our last 4 games. 7 goals scored, 2
conceded.

Secondly, if we play a 5-2-3 should Guy be the striker picked? Kane been good recently but Melamed’s output has been superb - 2 goals and 2 assists in 4 starts right? Certainly shouldn’t be dropped, so interesting to see if Davidson does so when he turns back toward the 5-2-3 in the next few games, as I’d imagine he will against the old firm at least.

4 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Two things on my mind. First of all, are we actually, properly, in form?! 3 wins and a draw in our last 4 games. 7 goals scored, 2
conceded.

Secondly, if we play a 5-2-3 should Guy be the striker picked? Kane been good recently but Melamed’s output has been superb - 2 goals and 2 assists in 4 starts right? Certainly shouldn’t be dropped, so interesting to see if Davidson does so when he turns back toward the 5-2-3 in the next few games, as I’d imagine he will against the old firm at least.

2 goals and 3 assists. He got the final touch before Murray's goal today.

Think we're unbeaten since Boxing Day.

Shitfest v Aberdeen now acceptable as we won this IMO.

Defence an issue despite that, give away too many easy chances.