Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

22 minutes ago, deej said:

Maclean definitely not immune here, yesterday he needed to realise he didn't have to be involved in every attack, sometimes it would be better if he was in a more attacking position. Likewise, he doesn't have to take every throw in quickly when it literally always results in him out on the wing and nobody in the box.

Except when sometimes Cummins is in the box, in which case there might as well be nobody there.

This.

100%

Maclean definitely not immune here, yesterday he needed to realise he didn't have to be involved in every attack, sometimes it would be better if he was in a more attacking position. Likewise, he doesn't have to take every throw in quickly when it literally always results in him out on the wing and nobody in the box.

Except when sometimes Cummins is in the box, in which case there might as well be nobody there.

I once went absolutely mental at MacLean for taking a quick throw in. Ended up with almost scoring and he gestured towards me straight after. Feel like he does it on purpose now

I once went absolutely mental at MacLean for taking a quick throw in. Ended up with almost scoring and he gestured towards me straight after. Feel like he does it on purpose now

The thing is, it would work if everyone else was on board, but almost every time - maybe actually every time - he did it yesterday, it created absolutely nothing as no-one else anticipated it.

It just ended up killing any attack as the ball was passed back to the defence, for a half fit Easton or uninterested Craig to hoof the ball into a defender. Or foster to punt it straight at a teammate then shout at them for f**k knows what reason.

Agree with @nelsjfc about Kane and Cummins. They are decent third/fourth choice strikers but if we are talking about another striker, we need to be looking for better. I would say that Kane at least has time on his side and doesn't have the baggage that's starting to drag Cummins down of missing these sitters. It's getting to the stage where I wish I'd started making a list because it would be, in the words of RG, staggering, I fear.

Chance for the manager to try a few things out tomorrow ahead of next week. Miller and Davidson behind a more advanced midfield three might be shout.

10 minutes ago, Radford said:

Agree with @nelsjfc about Kane and Cummins. They are decent third/fourth choice strikers but if we are talking about another striker, we need to be looking for better. I would say that Kane at least has time on his side and doesn't have the baggage that's starting to drag Cummins down of missing these sitters. It's getting to the stage where I wish I'd started making a list because it would be, in the words of RG, staggering, I fear.

Chance for the manager to try a few things out tomorrow ahead of next week. Miller and Davidson behind a more advanced midfield three might be shout.

I think that's the only logical way to go. Tommy waxing lyrical about the midfield diamond concerns me greatly as he may be tempted to go down that road. Last night just highlighted our need for a left winger all the more.

I wonder if European progress will hinder our signing plans? If we go through, perhaps Tommy gets both his forward and his left winger. If not, he may have to choose one or the other? Not all that crazy a suggestion given the sums of money involved if we progress.

I think that's the only logical way to go. Tommy waxing lyrical about the midfield diamond concerns me greatly

What did he say? I despise the diamond

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

What did he say? I despise the diamond

He was saying a shift to the diamond shifted momentum in our favour and that we finished the 1st half strongly as a result. I felt the momentum only shifted after Wotherspoon and Paton were removed for Millar and Scougall. Before that point Trakai were just cigaring their way through the match.

He was saying a shift to the diamond shifted momentum in our favour and that we finished the 1st half strongly as a result. I felt the momentum only shifted after Wotherspoon and Paton were removed for Millar and Scougall. Before that point Trakai were just cigaring their way through the match.

Hopefully he's trying to goad them into believing it's how we'll set up in the second leg, before we unleash the 4-2-3-1 that actually suits our squad.

Mehdi Abeid moved for £215k this Summer, May moving for £350k. If only real life was Football Manager and we had £1m to spend *sad face*

I just did, was semi, then I remembered Graham Cummins.

Cummins man. Wonder what the reaction will be when our only other signing is Brian Graham. Mouth watering stuff.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cummins man. Wonder what the reaction will be when our only other signing is Brian Graham. Mouth watering stuff.

Brian Graham is a big step up from Cummins.

Don't think MOH  Will be coming to Saints, he'd be ideal for both positions we are looking to strengthen. We might need to resort to big Brians level of diddieness, this makes me sad.

Brian Graham is a big step up from Cummins.

I dunno, his "goals per minutes" for us shits on Cummins, and is good in general, but he went swathes of that season looking absolutely useless, before scoring goals in spurts. He's still not someone I'd expect to be scoring regularly, tbh though, there's nobody in the squad I expect to score regularly.

But you can't sign Graham to play alongside MacLean. Well you can, but why would it work now, when it didn't last time? If he's intended as an alternative to MacLean then fair enough – as he nears his 35th birthday, perhaps it's about time Macca's contribution was scrutinised to the same degree as other strikers and we looked at alternatives.

But then that still leaves Cummins or Kane as first choice in the other striking slot.

Edited by Mr Heliums

But you can't sign Graham to play alongside MacLean. Well you can, but why would it work now, when it didn't last time? If he's intended as an alternative to MacLean then fair enough – as he nears his 35th birthday, perhaps it's about time Macca's contribution was scrutinised to the same degree as other strikers and we looked at alternatives.
But then that still leaves Cummins or Kane as first choice in the other striking slot.

Yes, we're reaching a stage where we need two or three strikers capable of performing (we need one anyway, MacLean is 35 and we'd hopefully be able to get a more consistent back up option than Cummins or Kane)

It's a real shame this problem has just sprung up, and we've not had five or six transfer windows to prepare for it..

The left winger situation is similar