Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 13:23, PauloPerth said:

But, as you say, our involvement could also save them a large sum in future instalments of the fee which might work in our favour.

There aren't outstanding instalments. What must have been the full net transfer fee received for O'Halloran (£447k) appeared in last year's accounts as income. (And the argument that this might have included instalments from May's transfer the previous year doesn't hold water.That fee - £812k - appeared in full in the 2015 accounts.)

Edited by Mr Heliums

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's pure pace and little else. But that's exactly what we need.

Thats very harsh. His power and balance whilst running at speed was second to nobody in the league. I remeber a comedy scene in Europe against Alashkert i think where literally 5 of their players were runnging after him, trying to drag him down.

He also developed some intelligence in his deliveries, favouring a cut back from the touchline that Macca fed off for half a season.

He's not limited at all.

Just now, Broon_100 said:

He's not limited at all.

He is, but even then he's valuable to a team like Saints which is otherwise predictable. No defender quite knows what he's going to do because he doesn't either, so they have to put a couple of players on him just in case. That frees up others.

His value lies in the threat of what he could do rather than what he actually does. I did sometimes wonder if other teams would just leave him to run because the product (outside his three-month golden period) was rarely worth the journey there. My son affectionately referred to him as Forrest Gump.

His speed, strength, balance and versatility are main strengths for me. He was a great focal point also, either through the middle or wide. I think his work rate (attitude?) was poor at times and he lacked in game intelligence - he would often run down a blind alley, make the wrong run or pass and his delivery from wide areas was poor a lot of the time.

I'd definitely take him back on balance, but only if he can be arsed.  

5 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

There aren't outstanding instalments. What must have been the full net transfer fee received for O'Halloran (£447k) appeared in last year's accounts as income. (And the argument that this might have included instalments from May's transfer the previous year doesn't hold water.That fee - £812k - appeared in full in the 2015 accounts.)

Ok, I thought it had been agreed to pay in instalments.

Did we receive a sell on from sheff wed when May went to Preston?

Wonder how they came at a figure of £447k?!

4 hours ago, Broon_100 said:

Thats very harsh. His power and balance whilst running at speed was second to nobody in the league. I remeber a comedy scene in Europe against Alashkert i think where literally 5 of their players were runnging after him, trying to drag him down.

He also developed some intelligence in his deliveries, favouring a cut back from the touchline that Macca fed off for half a season.

He's not limited at all.

I agree.

In his first season or so it was certainly the case, he'd dribble across his own box or across the park and give possession away in daft areas.

But he developed his game intelligence a great deal whilst at Saints, and in those 3 months or so at the start of 2015-16 he was, along with Griffiths, the best attacking player in the league.

He's a good finisher, and has a very good touch. Yes pace is a massive part of his game, but it's a hell of an attribute to have.

When his game was simplified; stay out wide, only try to beat your man in the final third, dont dribble across the park etc, he was very effective.  The shite pitches contributed a lot to his dip in form. It's hard to run flat out with the ball over divots and huge patches of heavy mud as our pitch became during that season.

Its a shame he moved, as I think it suited him being the main attacking threat in a team, similar to as it was with Swanson, with others covering for him defensively at times.

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

My guess? Probably £500k less agent's/player's cut.

We had a 20% sell on fee for May, which is why Preston paid £1m for him (Wednesday recouped their £800k, and we got our share).

The O'Halloran transfer was also meant to be in installments/clauses but I can't remember ever seeing what they were (apart from Agent Scotland spouting pish)

He's not limited at all.

Nah, can't have that. Boredom Guy says he's limited. He knows everything.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I agree.

In his first season or so it was certainly the case, he'd dribble across his own box or across the park and give possession away in daft areas.

But he developed his game intelligence a great deal whilst at Saints, and in those 3 months or so at the start of 2015-16 he was, along with Griffiths, the best attacking player in the league.

He's a good finisher, and has a very good touch. Yes pace is a massive part of his game, but it's a hell of an attribute to have.

Is the glass half-full or half-empty? He was a headless threat for much of his time at Saints, but glorious for three months. Which is the real O'Halloran?

I'd dispute he's a good finisher though. 

Edited by Mr Heliums

He was brilliant in the Semi at Ibrox aswell, and was a big part of the cup winning team. Folk seem to have rewritten his early time with us as they compare it to the truly spectacular spell at the end.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was brilliant in the Semi at Ibrox aswell, and was a big part of the cup winning team. Folk seem to have rewritten his early time with us as they compare it to the truly spectacular spell at the end.

Well you could see he had something different even at the LC semi v Aberdeen. He was stronger and more direct than anything we had. But far too often in subsequent games he seemed to run needlessly across the pitch, or his final ball would be hopeless. Then even that clicked and for a period he was astonishingly good. But folk also remember he was fading even before Rangers interest.

I certainly think he'd be worth pursuing, but I suspect if anything it would be a loan until January. Rangers will want to offload him and I think they'll be looking for more money than we'd offer.

48 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I'd dispute he's a good finisher though. 

I was putting together a series of you tube clips for you of some of his goals, but as I was going back and forth from YouTube to paste them here I got timed oot and it all disappeared. I don't have the wil to do it again I'm afraid.

He was an excellent finisher.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was indeed brilliant in that semi.  There's many who conveniently forget some of his contributions while at Saints.

O'Halloran was a good player for 18 months at saints, a very direct player who provided goals and pace to the team. He was a brilliant player for 3 months after that whereby he was practically unstoppable as fullbacks such as Kevin Holt found out. In those 3 months he upped it and started laying them on a plate for others as well as scoring himself.