Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I used to love watching Galatasaray back years ago. Hagi, Taffarel, Suker and Sas.

Obviously they're not like that now.
But it still blows my mind that we're playing them tomorrow!

When the browns bought us over we’d played 3 European ties and had waited something like 30 years for a Scottish cup semi final.

Since they’ve bought us over:

New ground
Multiple promotions
7 European campaigns
1 league cup
2 Scottish cups
1 challenge cup
2 3rd place finishes.

I pinch myself that I’ve been born in what’s quite literally our most successful period ever. This tie feels like a reward for their vision and will hopefully attract the next generation of fans.

33 minutes ago, mizfit said:

When the browns bought us over we’d played 3 European ties and had waited something like 30 years for a Scottish cup semi final.

New ground
Multiple promotions
7 European campaigns
1 league cup
2 Scottish cups
1 challenge cup
2 3rd place finishes.

I pinch myself that I’ve been born in what’s quite literally our most successful period ever. This tie feels like a reward for their vision and will hopefully attract the next generation of fans.

It is as good as it could ever be imagined. 

We're the lucky generation, that's for sure. 

54 minutes ago, mizfit said:

New ground
Multiple promotions
7 European campaigns
1 league cup
2 Scottish cups
1 challenge cup
2 3rd place finishes.

I think what is notable is that used to list scottish cup and league cup semis on our honours.

The 2014 SC felt like a watershed moment. Was either going to be a one off and we fell back or was going to be the start of the next phase. Thankfully it was the latter.

Best thing is that it is achieved through hard work and perseverance. Club has never thrown money about and the gains now are because of the calmness in the period when others were throwing cash about.

What it also does, is give a path to historically similar clubs such as QOS, Ayr, Raith etc.

Anyway, which is the most high profile opposition we have faced in Europe? Hamburg, Monaco, Rosenburg, Galatasary? 

I think what is notable is that used to list scottish cup and league cup semis on our honours.
The 2014 SC felt like a watershed moment. Was either going to be a one off and we fell back or was going to be the start of the next phase. Thankfully it was the latter.
Best thing is that it is achieved through hard work and perseverance. Club has never thrown money about and the gains now are because of the calmness in the period when others were throwing cash about.
What it also does, is give a path to historically similar clubs such as QOS, Ayr, Raith etc.
Anyway, which is the most high profile opposition we have faced in Europe? Hamburg, Monaco, Rosenburg, Galatasary? 

Galatasaray are probably the biggest club we have played against, but the Monaco side we played was full of superstars at the time. It's just amazing to be talking about playing teams like this, feels like a dream!

Galatasaray are probably the biggest club we have played against, but the Monaco side we played was full of superstars at the time. It's just amazing to be talking about playing teams like this, feels like a dream!

Hamburg had been 3 times German champions when we played them.

Monaco had been 6 times champions of France when we played them.

Galatasaray are 22 times winners of the Turkish league, and are the first former European champions we’ve played, having won the 2000 UEFA Cup.

Arguably, it’s Galatasaray. But you could make arguments for a HSV Side at their best, and Monaco late 90’s.

Hamburg had been 3 times German champions when we played them.

Monaco had been 6 times champions of France when we played them.

Galatasaray are 22 times winners of the Turkish league, and are the first former European champions we’ve played, having won the 2000 UEFA Cup.

Arguably, it’s Galatasaray. But you could make arguments for a HSV Side at their best, and Monaco late 90’s.
Totally agree. They are/were all quality sides in their own right.

When Geoff Brown took over at Saints, Galatasaray had just failed to win the league despite going through their league season unbeaten. The next season they won the league despite losing 5 games.

In 13/14, they made the knockout rounds of the CL after beating, and finishing above, Juventus, and then drew with Chelsea before losing in England.

2 years they battered Real Madrid at home and were unfortunate to lose.

Does anyone really care? 

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

When Geoff Brown took over at Saints, Galatasaray had just failed to win the league despite going through their league season unbeaten. The next season they won the league despite losing 5 games.

In 13/14, they made the knockout rounds of the CL after beating, and finishing above, Juventus, and then drew with Chelsea before losing in England.

2 years they battered Real Madrid at home and were unfortunate to lose.

Does anyone really care? 

Apart from yourself that is😅

6 hours ago, welldaft said:

Saints fans somewhat perpelexed that Motherwell fans want to watch their team and actually put money into your coffers. Next you will be telling me you will win two cups in a season. Beyond deluded.

As for the random Falkirk fan - what are they doing in this thread. Do they not reside two divisions below. Did I miss them imploding in spectacular fashion at the end of last season. Must have dreamt it. No doubt we will get the blame for that as well 😳

Tag me if you want me to laugh at you please.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

https://youtu.be/IZvlrEzR62o

Jason Kerr &  Davidson press conference today.

Davidson looks totally in his element and like he’s loving it. You feel his experience and calmness must be great for the players as the nerves will surely be massive going into this.

Don’t think Kerr was quite as comfortable with the questioning!

9 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Apart from yourself that is😅

I'm a simple man.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Davidson looks totally in his element and like he’s loving it. You feel his experience and calmness must be great for the players as the nerves will surely be massive going into this.

He has an aura about him that all good managers seem to have when they're at their best.

He seems aware that he's got a good squad, has them well drilled and fit, and there's absolutely nothing to lose tonight. Go out, work hard, and see what happens. I'd say 99% of folk are expecting us to get beat comfortably, so let's drag this out for them and land as many jabs as we can.