Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

There's no solution to that, Saints were never going to pump up the squad on the off chance we make it through to the group stages.

It is what is is, Thursday will decide how we proceed.

Was always going to be the case.

Agree, but there’s a difference between pumping up the squad and simply replacing the attacking options you’ve lost I.e. Melamed and Conway.

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree, but there’s a difference between pumping up the squad and simply replacing the attacking options you’ve lost I.e. Melamed and Conway.

We've replaced them with Hendry and Ballantyne...

16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don’t think it’s the players that folk are highlighting here. It’s the lack of options to rotate those tired players. Admittedly we’ve been unlucky with Spoony and a couple of injuries though.

Well there have been some options – obviously Brown for Rooney, Devine for Booth that wouldn't be too much of a trade off. Thought Muller did very well in his first game, and ok today. And if you're not going to risk Ballantyne or Gilmour now, when will you?

I'm not saying that those are great options and Davidson's argument might well be that players don't want to be dropped and there could be merit in that. But we do look a side that, if not tired, certainly lacks energy and surely fresh legs would have helped.

Hope Thursday proves me wrong. Certainly time to physically recover.

While I dont think we were good enough today, cannot get too carried away about it. I think the Thursday to Sunday recovery is much harder for the players than the Sunday to Thursday. I know it's an extra day + etc, but its maybe more mental tiredness. Factoring in travel and rest etc, you only really have the saturday to prepare. Clubs well used to the european games have well worn processes, bigger squads and more experience of this. Saints are learning as we go, albeit not completely new to some.

You could see today that there was just some uncharacteristic decision making, offensively and defensively. Clear to see that Gordon is the marshall of the defence. McCart in particular looked lost a bit. What was annoying was the amount if times McCart ve turned forward in 2nd half and didnt even look to his left where Booth was either in loads of space or had loads of space to run in behind. Having more vocal players and a bit more time to prepare would obviously help.

Having Gordon and Wortherspoon back for Thursday will be key. 

What's the story with the young lads, I didn't see them cause any bother last Thursday?

I noticed their section is completely closed for the game against LASK and they were AWOL yesterday...I appreciate some will be daytrippers.

The fact they made a promo video using them saying get to the game, then they shut their section, it's a bit of a slap in the face, no?

10 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

We haven’t won a game yet this season in normal time. 😞

Luckily it's still August.

1 hour ago, TractorBoy said:

What's the story with the young lads, I didn't see them cause any bother last Thursday?

I noticed their section is completely closed for the game against LASK and they were AWOL yesterday...I appreciate some will be daytrippers.

The fact they made a promo video using them saying get to the game, then they shut their section, it's a bit of a slap in the face, no?

APPARENTLY to do with with broken seats. Someone said to me 80ish but didn't see any broken yesterday but they may have fixed them since then (if so good job fixing them that quickly)

While I know this wasn't the intention at all. All its done is antagonise them and it's now more likely one or two of them will misbehave. I'm not condoning any nonsense but that's the reality of it because like you said they've used them for the PR of it and without explanation or notice shut their wee section. I know Saints have tried to work with them in the past etc etc but just reach out and advise them of the decision instead of making the decision and leaving them to find out when they tried buying tickets. 

Last I spoke to any them about it was Saturday so someone from the club hopefully has discussed/explained the decision since but at that point it was them reaching out to the club asking what was going on and not hearing much back. 

All ties in well with the lack of communication and thought put into the whole ticket sale for Thursday though I guess. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Speaking of seats, my season ticket seat gave out before I’d even sat on it yesterday, pushed the seat down and if come away from the concrete.

We’ve done good getting to 30 years, but I think the club needs to start carrying out some work on the stadium itself soon.

20 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

APPARENTLY to do with with broken seats. Someone said to me 80ish but didn't see any broken yesterday but they may have fixed them since then (if so good job fixing them that quickly)

While I know this wasn't the intention at all. All its done is antagonise them and it's now more likely one or two of them will misbehave. I'm not condoning any nonsense but that's the reality of it because like you said they've used them for the PR of it and without explanation or notice shut their wee section. I know Saints have tried to work with them in the past etc etc but just reach out and advise them of the decision instead of making the decision and leaving them to find out when they tried buying tickets. 

Last I spoke to any them about it was Saturday so someone from the club hopefully has discussed/explained the decision since but at that point it was them reaching out to the club asking what was going on and not hearing much back. 

All ties in well with the lack of communication and thought put into the whole ticket sale for Thursday though I guess. 

If that was the case, then the club should come out and say as much. I think most fans would accept the club cannot have loads of broken seats by our own fans. Aberdeen chairman did exactly that last week.

I doubt any of the young lads would have broken seats internally out of malice and if any broken it will have been from celebrating.

As I have said earlier, it doesnt take much to break the seats as they are pretty knackered anyway. Take out the seats from that section, put in rail seating and give the red seats to Jeanfield or something. Wins all round and great PR. 

3 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Speaking of seats, my season ticket seat gave out before I’d even sat on it yesterday, pushed the seat down and if come away from the concrete.

We’ve done good getting to 30 years, but I think the club needs to start carrying out some work on the stadium itself soon.

This and the ends of the stands. No point in patching them up with red bits of plastic. Club could even put up some coverings with former players or just blue. Motherwell did it in the summer and it looks great. Ground really is starting to creak a bit now and not an awful lot seems to be getting done. 

8 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

If that was the case, then the club should come out and say as much. I think most fans would accept the club cannot have loads of broken seats by our own fans. Aberdeen chairman did exactly that last week.

I doubt any of the young lads would have broken seats internally out of malice and if any broken it will have been from celebrating.

As I have said earlier, it doesnt take much to break the seats as they are pretty knackered anyway. Take out the seats from that section, put in rail seating and give the red seats to Jeanfield or something. Wins all round and great PR. 

Yeah that's the basis of my thinking. If that was the case it's up to the club to make the decision and if they believe it's the right thing to do then face up to it and make the decision clear. 

I also wondered if it's police related or some other h&s decision as well. Either way, just be transparent. 

Rail seating apparently also costs on average about £80 a seat based on some googling I did before so not cheap so can't see the club paying for those, although would solve some of these issues. 

Aye I don’t think the club will be forking out over £200k on rail seating.

Obviously rail seating is likely going to be the future for seated stadia going forward.

Stadium is in dire need to a makeover. The breeze lock interior is hellish. The corridors and cafeteria areas need a lick of paint and St Johnstone related pictures along the corridors. Could have pictures of historical games up on the walls accompanied with some information, like black and white action shots from a famous game or something. Just make the place a bit more vibrant.

22 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Aye I don’t think the club will be forking out over £200k on rail seating.

Obviously rail seating is likely going to be the future for seated stadia going forward.

Phased over, say 5 years to do the East stand would surely be manageable given that it could be capitalised over a very long time. 

All depends I guess on where the club washes up financially after covid but the government loan,  the cup money and of course anything from Europe are pretty big crash mats stuffed with cash. 

Stadium is in dire need to a makeover. The breeze lock interior is hellish. The corridors and cafeteria areas need a lick of paint and St Johnstone related pictures along the corridors. Could have pictures of historical games up on the walls accompanied with some information, like black and white action shots from a famous game or something. Just make the place a bit more vibrant.

The concourses don’t bother me as much but yes the congregation areas could be a lot nicer.

Muirton park was allowed to get run down, we can’t do the same to Mcdiarmid.

Raíl seating for part of the East Stand would be great.   

But 80 broken seats, if true, is a disgrace.  It surely can't be that many?   That's more than The OF smash up when 6000 come visiting.

Calling out the club for not communicating and describing it as over-exuberance is quite some take.  

If it really is that number, then I'd be shutting part of the ground as well if I was the club.   Are we expecting Saints to happily just accept they have to pay for some folk to turn up twice a season to break their seat?

17 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

We've now scored 10 goals in 21 league games at McDiarmid under Callum.  Must be to do with the way we play as much as the personnel.  Got away with it last season because we were so hard to break down, but this year we've only kept one clean sheet in 7 competitive matches so far. Room for improvement at both ends.

Obviously budgets are the main reason but Davidson seems more suited to cup football (ignoring the fact he's won the double). 

With the resources he has I think he's more than capable of getting a result against any team in the country in a one off game. Probably lacks the quality of squad to be consistent for the full season.

He did very well to finish top six but some teams (I'm looking at you At Mirren) seemed to throw it away.