Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Has this 10k a week been confirmed anywhere or is it just rumours? Because if there's no bidding war and Preston can likely double his salary at 5k why on earth would they pay him that much?

I'm told Scott Sinclair is their highest earner at 15k.

It does seem quite unlikely McCann would go in at 10k, considering where he's moving from, but I can't pretend to know. 

15 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I'm told Scott Sinclair is their highest earner at 15k.

It does seem quite unlikely McCann would go in at 10k, considering where he's moving from, but I can't pretend to know. 

It might even just be that it more comes down to bonuses, maybe 5-6k flat per week, bumped up to 10k if he plays and they win and a bit more if he scores etc, it's still a world away from what he would've been earning here. I'm sure he signed the new Saints contract when he was emerging but not an automatic starter, so if that was more than 1k a week it would be a surprise

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Looking it up, Ali signed a contract extension in December 2019. He was a first team regular at that time.

He would have been on a Saints first team wage when he left, whatever that would be.

I think even at that point the boat would have been pushed as an investment so that SB could shite it last minute in a future window.

Preston left it so late in the window (Saints said they'd had little indication from them of an interest prior to Tuesday) that they had to turn McCann's head. 

Saints weren't expecting to lose him, so obviously he/his agent hadn't been expressing this supposed desire to leave prior to Preston's offer.

Preston needed to get the player to push for this move and the easiest way to do that is... 

Of course, considering Peter Ridsdale is involved in all this, it might have been that £5k/week would have been enough but Ridsdale gonna Ridsdale:

"Mention the name Seth Johnson to anyone and they will almost certainly tell the same story about his contract at Leeds United.

The legend goes that Johnson, earning around £5,000 a week at Derby County, went into negotiations with Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale hoping for an increase to around £13,000 a week.

Ridsdale, however, offered £30,000, and then immediately upped that to £37,000 when his opening gambit was met with stunned silence."

Edited by Radford

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Lads, it's a weekly wage of just below 10k before any bonuses, this is from a VERY good source. Life changing for the lad.

Would have to be robotic not to have his head turned by that and just plain stupid to turn it down 

12 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Turnbull, Mcginn, Gauld, Robertson and many more went for £3 million plus, Ali is worth at least that 

It's said often but it doesn't really matter what fans think a player is worth, it only matters what a club is willing to pay. We had folk getting bent out of shape that we weren't "demanding" £5m for Turnbull (and there's no doubt he'd easily clear that if Celtic were to sell him now).

Celtic were only prepared to go to £1.5m for McGinn and the initial offers to "test Motherwell's resolve" from various teams came in around £1.25m. That was pre-pandemic of course. Villa were prepared to go to the £3m for McGinn and Celtic and Norwich were prepared to meet £3m for Turnbull.

Preston aren't a club who are going to be paying St Johnstone £3m plus for anyone. Their record fee is £2m apparently.

Assuming the add-ons and sell on work out then Saints probably have a pretty decent deal for McCann. No doubt Preston have a bargain up front mind but there's a fair chance Saints do well in the back end and McCann gets life-changing money and a move to the Championship.

The main issue is probably the optics of selling minutes before the deadline and whether Steve Brown was out there quoting clubs £3m or not that's a figure that was widely reported you were after for McCann and equally widely reported that interested clubs baulked at. Clubs baulked at £5m for Doig and Nisbet but they're still Hibs players.

In that respect the £1.2m and bits looks like a massive climbdown.

Out of curiosity where was this interview @PauloPerth?

On 31/05/2021 at 10:10, PauloPerth said:

Geoff Brown in his interview valued McCann higher than Turnbull. Hard to disagree.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It's said often but it doesn't really matter what fans think a player is worth, it only matters what a club is willing to pay. We had folk getting bent out of shape that we weren't "demanding" £5m for Turnbull (and there's no doubt he'd easily clear that if Celtic were to sell him now).

Celtic were only prepared to go to £1.5m for McGinn and the initial offers to "test Motherwell's resolve" from various teams came in around £1.25m. That was pre-pandemic of course. Villa were prepared to go to the £3m for McGinn and Celtic and Norwich were prepared to meet £3m for Turnbull.

Preston aren't a club who are going to be paying St Johnstone £3m plus for anyone. Their record fee is £2m apparently.

Assuming the add-ons and sell on work out then Saints probably have a pretty decent deal for McCann. No doubt Preston have a bargain up front mind but there's a fair chance Saints do well in the back end and McCann gets life-changing money and a move to the Championship.

The main issue is probably the optics of selling minutes before the deadline and whether Steve Brown was out there quoting clubs £3m or not that's a figure that was widely reported you were after for McCann and equally widely reported that interested clubs baulked at. Clubs baulked at £5m for Doig and Nisbet but they're still Hibs players.

In that respect the £1.2m and bits looks like a massive climbdown.

Out of curiosity where was this interview @PauloPerth?

I’m pretty sure that was the one on Saints hospital radio at the time, it was an excellent listen for Saints fans. 

I think if you go back to a page or two before my post there should be a link for it.

You’d probably have to listen to the whole interview to find the quote though!

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’m pretty sure that was the one on Saints hospital radio at the time, it was an excellent listen for Saints fans. 

I think if you go back to a page or two before my post there should be a link for it.

You’d probably have to listen to the whole interview to find the quote though!

Cheers.

I looked at the page your post was on and couldn't see a link so I wasn't sure how recent to your post it was.

Edit: Found it (quote is 01:08:58-ish) 

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Cheers.

I looked at the page your post was on and couldn't see a link so I wasn't sure how recent to your post it was.

Edit: Found it (quote is 01:08:58-ish) 

Well found.

Interesting listening to Geoff talking about McCann’s potential transfer after this week, non-communal on whether Ali would break our record fee, saying how much we get depends on the standing of the club he goes to.  When asked if he’s the best young player we’ve brought through in his time at the club, a long pause followed by “well he’s certainly the best at the moment”

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Well found.

Interesting listening to Geoff talking about McCann’s potential transfer after this week, non-communal on whether Ali would break our record fee, saying how much we get depends on the standing of the club he goes to.  When asked if he’s the best young player we’ve brought through in his time at the club, a long pause followed by “well he’s certainly the best at the moment”

Aye, I didn't listen to the whole thing. I just skipped through it until he was talking about McCann as I was interested to hear a bit of context about the point you'd mentioned way back.

He wasn't wrong about the club he goes to swaying the amount you'd get.

On 02/09/2021 at 13:54, PauloPerth said:

You don't believe it?

Yes rumoured to have a liking for one of The OF in younger years, but he's  grown up going to St Johnstone matches with his dad as chairman since the mid 80's.  Goes to pretty much every match each season.

Sometimes see him with directors on the train upto Inverness or Dingwall  having a few bevvies, or seen them in the pub before matches at Dens.

I don't know the guy other than in passing through going to away games, but folk can complain all they want about decisions etc, but I think you'd be struggling to put up a reasonable argument that he, or any of our directors, are not Saints fans.

Not really the case. He was about 22 when Geoff bought the club. A fully grown adult that chose to support Rangers instead of Saints like his dad. I'm not surprised fans try to brush over this but it happened. He may have developed a soft spot for them over the years and does Chairmany things for games but he's stated a few times he can't wait to get out. It's probably family obligation that keeps him in post. He never whinges about the additional roles he's found time to take on at Hampden over the years in addition to McDiarmid, just Saints. 

On 04/09/2021 at 00:15, FrankChickens1 said:

but I can't pretend to know. 

You must be new to this internet thing. 😀

1 hour ago, Charles Stiles said:

Not really the case. He was about 22 when Geoff bought the club. A fully grown adult that chose to support Rangers instead of Saints like his dad. I'm not surprised fans try to brush over this but it happened. He may have developed a soft spot for them over the years and does Chairmany things for games but he's stated a few times he can't wait to get out. It's probably family obligation that keeps him in post. He never whinges about the additional roles he's found time to take on at Hampden over the years in addition to McDiarmid, just Saints. 

You must be new to this internet thing. 😀

So in his youth forty years ago  the man who has run St Johnstone during the most successful decade in our 136 year history supported one of the OF clubs  😅😅😅😅 Big Wowee there dude