Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

You need to remember that by next summer, the HoR will have had a year to put together a list of targets... Exciting, until you remember that the manager will then ignore it to sign a bunch of loans that will do a job in his eyes. Being more optimistic, the fact the manager is on a new long-term deal surely means he'll stop this short-term approach with transfers. 

Next summer needs to be a success as it'll be another year with our most reliable players being a year older again.

Whatever combination you settle on, I think there is a strong case that our strongest group are still all players the manager inherited, plus Craig Bryson, maybe Ambrose now that Kerr is away. 

Eighteen months and probably not far short of that number of signings and that squad hasn't really progressed at all. 

United and Hearts are good teams and we've dug out good results but you can't say there aren't warning signings in the performances, stuff that worries me more than an aberration like you saw against Livingston. 

Steve Brown, Scott Boyd, Stevie Grieve and Callum Davidson all need to make sure they are on the same page. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

You need to remember that by next summer, the HoR will have had a year to put together a list of targets... Exciting, until you remember that the manager will then ignore it to sign a bunch of loans that will do a job in his eyes. Being more optimistic, the fact the manager is on a new long-term deal surely means he'll stop this short-term approach with transfers. 

Next summer needs to be a success as it'll be another year with our most reliable players being a year older again.

Whatever combination you settle on, I think there is a strong case that our strongest group are still all players the manager inherited, plus Craig Bryson, maybe Ambrose now that Kerr is away. 

Eighteen months and probably not far short of that number of signings and that squad hasn't really progressed at all. 

United and Hearts are good teams and we've dug out good results but you can't say there aren't warning signings in the performances, stuff that worries me more than an aberration like you saw against Livingston. 

Steve Brown, Scott Boyd, Stevie Grieve and Callum Davidson all need to make sure they are on the same page. 

Grieve seems to spend a fair amount of time on Twitter trying to promote some tactical/data technology services that he's involved with, anyone any idea if he's full-time with us?

Liam Gordon makes such a difference to McCart since he’s neither an organiser or a leader. Thats not a criticism, he’s got his own strengths, but Gordon helps compliment these. 

16 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

Wouldn’t say it’s too downbeat from him, reckon he’s just being realistic - there are 9 players out of contract so there will be a few who won’t want to sign on again. 

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

In terms of purchasing semi-final tickets, how do we know if we're on the database? Wouldn't want to make a needless trip to McDiarmid if I'm not eligible.

Think it’s purchasing history. Can always ring the ticket office save you a trip 

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

In terms of purchasing semi-final tickets, how do we know if we're on the database? Wouldn't want to make a needless trip to McDiarmid if I'm not eligible.

I'm sure if you give them the old "do you know who I am" chat it'll surely help. 

Couple that with holding your phone above your head so they can see the relevant youtube clip and they'll be asking for an autograph. 

5 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I called in and they had my details on the system even though I’ve only purchased a couple of times since moving house. It was all there so if you’ve bought before they’ll have you in there. 

I know once they're gone, they're gone, so shouldn't dwell on former players, but I'd love McCann to tear that league up and get a big move within the year so we get the big sell on.  Still feel we massively undersold him.

Had a look at the Preston forum and they are raving about him. Away to the unbeaten league leaders, he plays great and scores the winner.  Comments along the lines of "enjoy him while we've got him, this lads heading to the prem" are promising.

What was the sell on rumoured to be, 10 or 20% ?

Pleased for Ali McCann. What was always going to stand him in good stead was the way he was able to adapt to anything asked of him, playing in our front three, at wing back, on the left side for Northern Ireland. Even back in his U20 days, he would play in defence if required. He has the intelligence to do that which was going to mean he could step into a new team and adapt, whilst obviously bringing the qualities he has. 

I actually think we arguably took him for granted when you see some of our midfielders now chugging their way about the pitch. McCann was a pressing, tackling, play-disrupting machine, who had qualities with the ball as well.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Higher.

Actually believe it is even higher than the 25% a lot of folk assume it is.

In hindsight, taking a lower up front fee if he moves on quickly might turn out to be an excellent bit of business. If he had gone for 2m up front and a 15% sell on for example, then vs the assumed 1.3m at say 25% would mean if they sell him for anything north of 7m, then we are better off.

Clearly we all think he was worth more than either of that, but there is an element of faith in both McCann's ability to push onto another level and Preston to achieve a much higher sale than we could. Both of which are likely true.

If say, we sold him for 3m and got a 10% sell on, then we may still better that under the deal we did if they sold him for more than 11m (unlikely, but not impossible)

Whichever way, we are pretty heavily invested as fans and as a club in McCann doing really well down there. 

Edited by Theyellowbox