Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

25 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

It was just on the general contact us section of the page, unfortunately it's a send form so I can't actually fully remember what I had said.

It was mainly along the lines of it was heartbreaking to see so much incredible work from Saints since being promoted just being pissed away.

With the sales of McCann and Kerr we were given the football is a business, bottom line trumps all treatment, yet when it comes to a manager who is ruining the club, that's where we decide past achievements and tenure has to be respected. I know it's deeply unsavoury to hope someone becomes unemployed, but I'm pretty sure he'll get his contract paid up or paid until he finds a new job so there are levels to it.

The thing that really brings me down, is that Saints are so much more than just a football club to me. I have no actual connection to Perth, I was born in Dumfries and lived there until a few years ago, I was taken to a game against Motherwell as a kid when visiting family and it just stuck with me, I didn't follow my Dad's lead and support Celtic, I loved the community feel and felt proud to be a very small part of it, feeling like I belong to something I enjoy and being able to get behind something with a group of passionate people every weekend is the best thing ever. I pointed out that I'm confident Saints fans aren't expecting 6-0 wins or for a manager to revolutionize the game, but we've always appreciated those who gave their all for the club and all I ever want is to turn up and have some kind of belief that my team is going to give it a go, and think they can win any game if they play well.

It's really important to not go full rose-tinted glasses on TW, but he was a man I would go into battle for if he asked, his team did the same and I'm pretty sure we all appreciated every last drop of that. Some of his teams were miles less talented than what CD has had, but It's a hill I'll die on - at least there was a plan, at least I could see what he was trying to do. Of course it sometimes blew up in his face spectacularly, but he was trying to win games.

Every last bit of that has gone under CD. We're now full of journeymen who'll be gone in two years, likely with us in the Championship. He'll be gone, the Kerr and McCann money wasted, there will be no long-term plan, it will likely take years to stabilise and build again. One thing to TW's credit was he usually had someone lined up to replace the veteran players, he deserves credit for the work he did bringing on the younger guys. CD would just ring Alan Preston and find out which other 33 year old is no longer good enough for Hibs or Aberdeen and we'll give them a final decent payday.

I've never felt more disenfranchised supporting Saints, I noticed going to the Hibs game on the first day of the season there wasn't any excitement, it was part dread, part resignation and just part emptiness.

We are going nowhere under CD. Hoping not to be the sh*ttest team isn't a form of ambition, and We just need to bite the bullet and get rid. Sure the board might see it as a waste of money, but so was Hector-Ingram, so was John Mahon if CD stays in charge.

Well said that man you are right on every thing you have written 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

It was just on the general contact us section of the page, unfortunately it's a send form so I can't actually fully remember what I had said.
It was mainly along the lines of it was heartbreaking to see so much incredible work from Saints since being promoted just being pissed away.
With the sales of McCann and Kerr we were given the football is a business, bottom line trumps all treatment, yet when it comes to a manager who is ruining the club, that's where we decide past achievements and tenure has to be respected. I know it's deeply unsavoury to hope someone becomes unemployed, but I'm pretty sure he'll get his contract paid up or paid until he finds a new job so there are levels to it.
The thing that really brings me down, is that Saints are so much more than just a football club to me. I have no actual connection to Perth, I was born in Dumfries and lived there until a few years ago, I was taken to a game against Motherwell as a kid when visiting family and it just stuck with me, I didn't follow my Dad's lead and support Celtic, I loved the community feel and felt proud to be a very small part of it, feeling like I belong to something I enjoy and being able to get behind something with a group of passionate people every weekend is the best thing ever. I pointed out that I'm confident Saints fans aren't expecting 6-0 wins or for a manager to revolutionize the game, but we've always appreciated those who gave their all for the club and all I ever want is to turn up and have some kind of belief that my team is going to give it a go, and think they can win any game if they play well.
It's really important to not go full rose-tinted glasses on TW, but he was a man I would go into battle for if he asked, his team did the same and I'm pretty sure we all appreciated every last drop of that. Some of his teams were miles less talented than what CD has had, but It's a hill I'll die on - at least there was a plan, at least I could see what he was trying to do. Of course it sometimes blew up in his face spectacularly, but he was trying to win games.
Every last bit of that has gone under CD. We're now full of journeymen who'll be gone in two years, likely with us in the Championship. He'll be gone, the Kerr and McCann money wasted, there will be no long-term plan, it will likely take years to stabilise and build again. One thing to TW's credit was he usually had someone lined up to replace the veteran players, he deserves credit for the work he did bringing on the younger guys. CD would just ring Alan Preston and find out which other 33 year old is no longer good enough for Hibs or Aberdeen and we'll give them a final decent payday.
I've never felt more disenfranchised supporting Saints, I noticed going to the Hibs game on the first day of the season there wasn't any excitement, it was part dread, part resignation and just part emptiness.
We are going nowhere under CD. Hoping not to be the sh*ttest team isn't a form of ambition, and We just need to bite the bullet and get rid. Sure the board might see it as a waste of money, but so was Hector-Ingram, so was John Mahon if CD stays in charge.
Yep, brilliant post. My story is pretty similar - I'm in Fife and Dad, Cowdenbeath supporter (!), took me along to Saints as he was invited by a client through work. I met Alex Totten, got a look around behind the scenes and that was it, just fell in love with the place. I'm so disappointed that the cup double heroics have just been pissed away and the whole match day Saturday just feels flat for me.

Email address for Mr Flaherty is on staff profiles section of the website if anyone is interested BTW.

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

So all things considered you want Davidson gone replaced by Wright, yeah?  

Honestly I think I would be excited at the prospect, but I'm not sure if everyone else would be quite as thrilled. There's a strange what if with TW, it felt like he spent his entire time fighting with the board to get bodies in to fill out the squad, I'm sure he was usually running with about 17/18 senior pros in the outfield positions and then complimented the rest of the squad with guys promoted from the youth team. He certainly wasn't in a situation where he could sign 25+ players and just face no consequences to them all being sh*te.

I think we're now past the stage of "yeah but who would you replace him with?" Our recent appointments of Coyle, McInnes, Lomas, Wright weren't always the obvious ones to me, if anything the appointment of CD made too much sense at the time.

I know my previous post was a long one, Saints to me is about passion and pride, we had that under TW, we don't under CD. The squad isn't a good one, it might take years to fix and I'll accept there's a decent chance we go down this year regardless, but I'd rather we actually stood up and tried to do something, rather than just bending over and taking a defeat every week and looking for anyone or anything else to blame.

It needs two brave decisions from the club. One to get rid of CD, I imagine he has friends in the media and certain agents who have media slots who will pan the club, but it also means taking a risk on someone who is in this for the long-haul. For me, TW has seen the grass isn't greener and would be someone who would happily stay here for another 5-10 years and we can try to pass it on to his successor again in the future, hopefully with lessons being learned.

Going for one of the "usual" types - Craig Levein (heard he was at the B team game today and that's a worry), Mark McGhee, or anyone like that would be akin to just sticking with CD. I do wonder if fans of other clubs might actually see TW as someone in that mold, potentially uninspiring, games passed him by and all that so my first choice would be someone new, but I'd take him in a heartbeat over Davidson for sure.

We absolutely gave the massive budget to the wrong man. Wright managed to put the bones of a double winning side together on a shoe string and by having to argue for every penny he spent. Davidson has been given a fortune, both in terms of fees and wages, and we only seem to get worse with every passing window, albeit with a slight upturn after the last January window. 

1 hour ago, steviemay17 said:

Honestly I think I would be excited at the prospect, but I'm not sure if everyone else would be quite as thrilled. There's a strange what if with TW, it felt like he spent his entire time fighting with the board to get bodies in to fill out the squad, I'm sure he was usually running with about 17/18 senior pros in the outfield positions and then complimented the rest of the squad with guys promoted from the youth team. He certainly wasn't in a situation where he could sign 25+ players and just face no consequences to them all being sh*te

I think this is one of the most depressing parts for me. We could theoretically sack Davidson tomorrow and if it was TW it would be straight back to the budget old ways, because there is no money any more because Davidson has tied it all up in second/third years of deals for players who barely merit a first year. 

Its absolutely criminal what's been allowed to take place.

Considine could be done by the weekend never mind summer 2023. We still have Crawford to the same time right? Awful. 

9 hours ago, low-life said:

He's a good football coach and loves his football. 

I don't mean this in any way disrespectfully to the man as I've never met him, but this is the opposite of what I want to hear about our Chief Exec. 

I'd prefer someone with little to no interest in or knowledge of the playing side of football. They need to be dispassionate about coaching, focussed purely on the numbers and the people. Equally, I'd prefer someone with no prior relationship with the owners.

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I don't mean this in any way disrespectfully to the man as I've never met him, but this is the opposite of what I want to hear about our Chief Exec. 

I'd prefer someone with little to no interest in or knowledge of the playing side of football. They need to be dispassionate about coaching, focussed purely on the numbers and the people. Equally, I'd prefer someone with no prior relationship with the owners.

Yeh I thought it was a strange one and still do. He knows the game for sure but isn't involved in the playing side,  its the administration side he's taken over. Have always found him a decent guy and wish him well and his cv certainly wont be just football based. 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Which is fine normally but that leaves Callum Davidson in complete control of the footballing side of things. COMPLETE CONTROL, let that sink in.

15 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Isn't that what the Head of Football Operations manages? 

Boyds replacement... Whoever that ends up being. 

But in the meantime, when Boyds on holiday mode....  

The c**t can't even manage a first 11.

Edited by tree house tam

Also just had a call from Ian F regarding an email I’d sent in. I’m guessing over the last week, they’re perhaps starting to take notice that fans are now in a majority turning against the manager and it will effect crowds soon enough.

Good to get a response as mentioned previously, I’d think in years gone by it would’ve been completely ignored.

3 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Apologies for my nosiness @Kyle, but how did he take the email? Appreciate if you don’t want to go into too much detail 

I felt he was respectful of my view but was quite clear he couldn’t pass comment himself which is absolutely fair enough. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from him in all honesty, not sure that would’ve happened prior to his appointment. His passion for the club was clear too. 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I felt he was respectful of my view but was quite clear he couldn’t pass comment himself which is absolutely fair enough. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from him in all honesty, not sure that would’ve happened prior to his appointment. His passion for the club was clear too. 

Fair play to him. Very decent thing to do 

So, how does the internal conversations go on the back of folk contacting the club?

Does Flemming have calls with Steve Brown regularly and will be flagging up that fans are venting to him? If so, Brown's reaction will be a mix of 'tell them to F off, CD is the man' OR 'We need to discuss how long this can go on for'.

I'd edge towards the former and while I get folk e-mailing the club with concerns, surely the point to vocalise this is at the games and frankly, unless you were in the stands, you wouldn't really get a sense of the fans feelings.

If/when CD starts taking more about understanding fans frustration over lack of goals, style of play and team performance, then you know a conversation has been had. But, nothing I hear from him makes me think he feels in any danger.

This may be a test of how much control of the club Steve Brown has given up. He may be of the mindset that any change of manager is no longer his call to make. Someone will remember better than me, but did we not change manager when Geoff Brown was ill and it was a bit drawn out?