Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Widge said:

The best thing about signing English League 1 players is once again the chance to read some of the truly outstanding and misguided comments they can make. 

My personal favourite being that a move to Perth is mad, as we're apparently in the middle of nowhere and about as far north as you can get interesting take that one.

Second and only just is the ever growing list of Scottish Premiership players that they know (Carroll, Richard Tait, Liam Hughes (who?)) being used as an argument for the standard of our league, despite the fact that these are clearly poor or below average players within the league. Then to top it all off is the insistence that the Scottish league is bottom League 2 standard. It's always an absolute pleasure taking these teams best players and the rage that it induces.

Is this the thread you're referring to? https://cambridgeunitedfc.proboards.com/thread/5089/ex-players?page=810

Gold from page 810 onwards.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

The best thing about signing English League 1 players is once again the chance to read some of the truly outstanding and misguided comments they can make. 

My personal favourite being that a move to Perth is mad, as we're apparently in the middle of nowhere and about as far north as you can get interesting take that one.

Second and only just is the ever growing list of Scottish Premiership players that they know (Carroll, Richard Tait, Liam Hughes (who?)) being used as an argument for the standard of our league, despite the fact that these are clearly poor or below average players within the league. Then to top it all off is the insistence that the Scottish league is bottom League 2 standard. It's always an absolute pleasure taking these teams best players and the rage that it induces.

Usually a few references to the SPL too, which shows (along with Yogi Hughes) that they have zero understanding of Scottish football.

Having watched league 1 and league 2 games in England, I can confirm it is utter pish. Just big physical lumps booting the ball about. Some big clubs down there (Derby, Bradford etc) but equally, some complete no marks.

25 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Wait until they see he might not even be No.1.

They will see he has been given No 1 shirt (Not confirmed but pretty obvious

And will be oblivious to the fact that he is not sole No1 and fighting with Sinclair for the spot

Because the manager has stated he wants two No 1s

8 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I like the prospect of the Mitov signing. Clearly a guy who is looking to get into the Bulgaria squad and sees Saints as a good opportunity to do just that. Looking at the Bulgaria keepers, he has a good chance. If it doesn't work for him, it will be hopefully because Sinclair is a better keeper, which would be a win for Saints in either situation.

Probably indicates 2 things; Saints are still seen as an attractive club (at least vs league 1 in England) and also that MacLean is correct in that he favours quality over quantity.

I wonder if this is an indication of Saints casting the net a bit wider for recruitment than we did under Davidson (Grieve signings aside). 

Pretty much agree on this. When we were consistently in or around the top six/ Euro place, we were an attractive prospect for players who were maybe not quite getting their break and wanted to prove themselves, put themselves in the window. There was concern that the last couple of seasons might have damaged that but, hopefully, Mitov's interest is a sign that it hasn't.

On current signings, I think we do need a few in, but I don't expect Macca to turn the whole thing round in one window, would rather get quality than quantity and, if we do have to sign a couple of jobbers, hopefully on one year deals, although that might be turn off for players.

A further consideration is that while I don't know what Hallberg was on, or what he was offered, I suspect he would have been towards the upper end of the payscale. I would expect that the deal on offer was allowed for in the budget, and so now that it has been withdrawn, I would assume that that money is now available for other signings?

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Kind of but also not really. 

We don't have a named assistant and they won't be naming one. 

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Young manager who has decided on a set way of playing and determined to implement this with one transfer window.

Added to no-one in the management team with much experience of management to speak of, I can see him being emptied by Christmas and someone else doing a good job with players he's signed/brought through by making some tweaks.

31 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Young manager who has decided on a set way of playing and determined to implement this with one transfer window.

Added to no-one in the management team with much experience of management to speak of, I can see him being emptied by Christmas and someone else doing a good job with players he's signed/brought through by making some tweaks.

The same Alec Cleland who has been at the club for 14 years, part of 3 cup wins and 6 European qualifications.  Experience aplenty.

Your concerns are appreciated, though.

Just now, double deluxe said:

The same Alec Cleland who has been at the club for 14 years, part of 3 cup wins and 6 European qualifications.  Experience aplenty.

Your concerns are appreciated, though.

Alec Clelland might have been putting out the cones for that time.

Is he the man to tell MacLean that his system isn't working? 

It's no surprise we had a genuine turnaround when Agnew came in. Prior to that we had Allan Russell and Jim Goodwins brother in law.

29 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Spoony earned us nearly £160,000 for World Cup, hope we give him a share for testimonial 

The club without question won't be giving him cash. They're currently suffering significant financial loses and would be very likely not allowed either. 

As with all the other testimonials in previous years it will be organised without any direct affiliation with the club. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe