Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Valuable lesson for the younger players, it seems. Big difference from playing friendlies to a proper game against seasoned players looking to carve out a result.  I’m assuming a wee bit - I know f**k all about Stenhousemuir, but the lower leagues are full of players that know how to battle.

Is anyone that surprised? Our squad is mix of relegation battlers and youths who've never really played above League One.

Road to recovery is the main key here, and itll take longer than one window. I think we're favourites for relegation and likely staring at it unless some unreal signings happen, but if theres progress shown towards a long term goal then you just suck it up.

You cant have multiple shit seasons and transfer windows and not face some form of price.

Poor start for MacLean, but key is how he learns from it. Davidson let himself down by repeating the same mistakes, we cant afford for MacLean cant follow that path.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Can't believe how badly the CBs got bullied by their striker. Every long ball he did a perfect job of backing in, pulling their shirts and stopping them heading. Embarrassing to watch them let him walk over like that. 

Wright was horrendous. Carey always plays like he's doing his own thing. Crawford could have just stayed off for no difference. 

The issue is much worse than just lack of bodies. We have plenty shite bodies too. 

34 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

We've been here before....

And I told Sturrock exactly how I felt and where he should go.

I'm as angry as any Saints fan. I'm also prone to foaming at the mouth after results like this. 

While today's result is unacceptable and again I'm not happy about it I'll not base my absolutely raging criticism based on one match. 

Long story short but your point id exactly how I'm feeling... I think?

It's a shite result, no doubting that. If it was In isolation it would be fine but you kind of half expect it nowadays. Those players out there are professionals, it's what they are meant to excel at, they actually get paid and most probably a lot more than Stenhousemuir do to put in performances like that. Quite a few need told straight, which Macca probably will have, that that performance and e ergy levels are nowhere near good enough for any premiership team, let alone the mighty St Johnstone. 

I thought Macca didn't help the situation today, playing a system to try and fit the senior players into the starting 11,  just play 2 proper strikers up front, enough of this May as the only striker with midfielders off him. It's pish Macca, it stifles our only threat.

That was a nightmare.

I’d love to know what the ‘game plan’ actually is before the game.

Because watching that it seems to be every time we get possession of the ball, no matter how far up the pitch, no matter what players are in good positions up ahead, we have to make it go back to Liam Gordon and start all over again. Then it goes from him to Considine and it’s either returned to Gordon for him to completely bypass any wide players or midfielders and punt it up the park, sorry, I mean play a long pass up the channel! Or Considine will do likewise for our lone striker (despite League 2 (TWO) opposition) to aimlessly chase for it.  In what world, in any level of football, is that ever going to work?

If one of the people in the know about the modern football tactics could explain it that would be great because I just don’t get it. 

Also some god awful individual performances as already mentioned. If I had to pick I’d say Ryan McGowan had his worst game in a Saints shirt. He was really, really bad today. 

17 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I'm as angry as any Saints fan. I'm also prone to foaming at the mouth after results like this. 

While today's result is unacceptable and again I'm not happy about it I'll not base my absolutely raging criticism based on one match. 

Long story short but your point id exactly how I'm feeling... I think?

It will. 

Especially if the clubs comments on accounts end up being worse than we expected. 

34 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

That sounds like how Carey was years ago for County, a cracking left peg, but either greedy or on his own wavelength, depending how you view it.

He did fine today overall. 

Created a chance in particular where he left the defender in another postcode. Cut it back to no one there. 

Hard tob tell if he was wrong to cut it back or whether someone didn't make the run. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Careys turning into George Williams.

Looks dangerous and just unlucky nothing comes off, but at some point youve got to think for it to go wrong so regularly is down to him.

He really needs to step up this season as it stands, and it doesnt seem likely he going to manage that.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Careys turning into George Williams.

Looks dangerous and just unlucky nothing comes off, but at some point youve got to think for it to go wrong so regularly is down to him.

He really needs to step up this season as it stands, and it doesnt seem likely he going to manage that.

Williams was a good deal younger as well. Carey has plenty of experience and should know what he needs to do to deliver consistently.