Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Much more enjoyable afternoon today and some promising signs at least. Still a lot of things to be concerned about but hopefully a few more decent players signing addresses that. Think it might be time Considine calls it a day to be honest……….

Didnt see the game today so *shrugs* no real comments on the performance. 

Did May play on a wing? Or was it 4-4-2 with Max on a wing?

6 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

4-4-2,Max wide right , Drey rb,did change to 4-3-3 late on after subs came on

Braw, thank you.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Are you also surprised that it was a joke of a booking, for his first foul?

Ref was dreadful today.

Terrible booking and then later Alloa player gets away with worse and no booking. Poor ref.

2 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Much better today and worth the PPV price which for some reason had Saints commentary. Makes such a difference when you have instant replays.

Hope Saints PPV is organised for Tuesday.

At the game it looked like Alloa had a really good shout for a penalty when McGowan handballed. 

From where I was standing it looked like one that VAR would definitely give. 

Did that get picked up?

13 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Much better today and worth the PPV price which for some reason had Saints commentary. Makes such a difference when you have instant replays.

Official Twitter said it was cause Alloa were short staffed.

12 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

At the game it looked like Alloa had a really good shout for a penalty when McGowan handballed. 

From where I was standing it looked like one that VAR would definitely give. 

Did that get picked up?

I was opposite end but looked handball. I wouldn't say my opinion is worth much though 😬

Thought it was a stonewall on May as well when the goalkeeper was disposed as well. 

31 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Very good quality from Alloa PPV. 

Hope we are returning it for the away Ayr and Stirling Albion fans (and me!).

I know people are praising Cammy Ballantyne for his all round game today and rightly so, he was very good going forward. However, he has a lot to learn on the defensive side of things. He gets turned far too easily and lets people run off him. I hat I would say, he does work his arse off to get back and hassle, but definitely an area for improving. As it stands I’d have him ahead of MacPherson, but not sure I’d want him playing as a starter. 

Max is a strange one. He’s got ability of that I’ve got no doubt, but he’s inexperienced with it. He’s always looking to play out and retain the ball which is great and in time he’ll learn when it’s right to do so. He was getting caught on it quite regularly though and that lack of senior matches shows. 

Considine is still a huge worry. All that being said, Gallacher was my man of the match, he was excellent. He got up and down the pitch really effectively and defended about as well as any of the other other defenders. I think him and Carey are starting to gain a bit of an understanding down that left hand side which is good to see. 

Yeah Considine is still my biggest concern. It might be that moment in the first half is weighing too heavily on my mind, and in fairness he did actually have a decent game in the second half. Legs have gone though. 

There was nothing positive about last Saturday and too much of concern to really know where to even start. But today was much more encouraging.

Three of the goals came from the sort of thing I envisage the manager wanting, namely, moving the ball quickly. Thought Jephcott showed that he'll suit that.

Still a fair bit to work on but to win 4-0 as a work in progress, you'll take that every day of the week.

The 1st and 3rd goals were exceptional. 

Think that type of interplay can happen against top flight sides too i reckon, so really nice to see.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The 1st and 3rd goals were exceptional. 

Think that type of interplay can happen against top flight sides too i reckon, so really nice to see.

That kind of link play up has been badly missing for the last couple of years and it’s the exact thing Stevie May is good at if you get the right bodies around him. Nice to see Ballantyne heavily involved in that and you have to say his finish for the first and the touch to our May in for the third are top class.

Really nice to see a young player coming in and scoring - and showing a good bit of alertness to get there - so early in his career.

We’re still short of fit first team players and there are a lot of guys still needing to work on match sharpness but that was far more positive.