Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The central defender we tried to sign today may have been Baggott. He went to Blackpool today. 

Haven’t seen that confirmed yet, been keeping an eye on it as I was hoping he’d be the second one today, but if we’re done for the day then that’ll be that.

5 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

Haven’t seen that confirmed yet, been keeping an eye on it as I was hoping he’d be the second one today, but if we’re done for the day then that’ll be that.

Media down there saying Baggott is staying with Ipswich now due to injuries.

7 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Been busy tonight so only now sifting through the quotes and replies on Charlton’s tweet about Jaiyesimi. Oh boy. 

English fans are a weird bunch.

You're either the best player on the planet or youre the worst.

The reality seems to be he was an exciting winger who they played at wing back, he then got injured and struggled to get fit/return to old levels at a club that didnt want him.

Literally their version of O'Halloran but hes much younger so has more chance of finding what hes lost.

Gut feeling is he'll not perform enough to be anything more than an option of the bench, but he won't be as bad as Charlton fans are claiming he'll be. My expectations are set that he'll just be a good option to provide pace off the bench. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

English fans are a weird bunch.

Aye. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're either the best player on the planet or youre the worst.

The reality seems to be he was an exciting winger who they played at wing back, he then got injured and struggled to get fit/return to old levels at a club that didnt want him.

Literally their version of O'Halloran but hes much younger so has more chance of finding what hes lost.

Gut feeling is he'll not perform enough to be anything more than an option of the bench, but he won't be as bad as Charlton fans are claiming he'll be. My expectations are set that he'll just be a good option to provide pace off the bench. 

If he has a wee bit of pace then I’m sure he’ll be fine for us, even if it’s a speedboat with no driver situation. 

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Fair play then, forgot about that. Surely you can get shite like McGowan and Crawford out to a mid table championship jobber mob like Morton.

We still have no natural right back so I'd be happy to take McGowan - even accounting for being 34 and obviously not the player he was, it would allow us to move O'Connor back to centre back and drop 39 year old Broadfoot who has given away 3 penalties in 3 games - but if Ali Crawford ever wears a Morton top again I will burn Cappielow to the ground.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

We still have no natural right back so I'd be happy to take McGowan - even accounting for being 34 and obviously not the player he was, it would allow us to move O'Connor back to centre back and drop 39 year old Broadfoot who has given away 3 penalties in 3 games - but if Ali Crawford ever wears a Morton top again I will burn Cappielow to the ground.

Id be surprised if McGowan is allowed to leave now, as hes 4th choice CB and our only alternative is a 19yo who struggled badly v Stirling or trying to find a free agent.

55 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'll be honest, I expected Morton to sign Lee Hodson to complete the ex-St. Mirren/Killie jobber backline.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

We've been playing him as a defensive midfielder and he was one of our better players.

I'd also add that I think it wouldn't be a disaster if he stays, he might not want to as his game time will be limited. Also the club might want a cheaper option for what will essentially be a back up player.

For me, Ryan McGowan is lastly a right back these days. I didn't mind him as a midfield holder, was fine as CB cover (although MacLean doesn't seem to fancy him there) but gives you not much at right back.

Would be silly not to use him.whilst he's here though as a sub, given his versatility.

46 minutes ago, Radford said:

For me, Ryan McGowan is lastly a right back these days. I didn't mind him as a midfield holder, was fine as CB cover (although MacLean doesn't seem to fancy him there) but gives you not much at right back.

Would be silly not to use him.whilst he's here though as a sub, given his versatility.

Could be the used in the Tommy Wrights , Garry Millar last 5 minutes sub role to shore it up!

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

Team will be interesting today. Touched on the approach before and can the side we saw at Celtic Park have more of a go or does he need a second striker?

I reckon that team can have a go with a change of tempo.

43 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I reckon that team can have a go with a change of tempo.

I'm not convinced.

But we still have the problem of not having a (fit) striker that works in anything except a front 2. That said I can't think of a way to avoid it as if we go with 3 in the middle we have to drop one of Smith, Phillips, Costelloe or Cary and I cannot see that happening.

So I'd go 4-4-1-1 with JTC behind either Jephcott or May. Otherwise we drop Turner-Cooke and play a front 2 of May and Jephcott. Again, I just can't see that happening.

Or we gamble a bit and chuck that new winger on and play Costelloe as a second striker, on the basis that Jephcott doesn't have 90 minutes in him. On last week's evidence not sure he's got 60 minutes in him.

On balance I expect it will be as you say - same 11 but team orders to get up the pitch a bit more, press and play a higher line.