Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Radford said:

Phillips is technically really, really good and has that great talent of being able to work himself space but then what does he ever really do with it? Need to see more from him in that regard. It's football, not freestyling.

A first direct goal involvement today. Didn’t even mean it!

Next 3 home games are Motherwell, Kilmarnock and County. That run really needs 6+ points from it IMO.

Weve already played Dundee and Livingston at home and picked up 2, and 2 in total from 2 clubs and County.

19/20 remains a worse start at this stage than this season.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Next 3 home games are Motherwell, Kilmarnock and County. That run really needs 6+ points from it IMO.

Weve already played Dundee and Livingston at home and picked up 2, and 2 in total from 2 clubs and County.

19/20 remains a worse start at this stage than this season.

We haven't got Tommy to put it right this season though. 

Play either half once in the next 17 games, though likely to have the rescheduled Rangers game in there somewhere. Although unlikely all three are firing at the same time, 5 of those are against Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen, with 3 at home. Huge few months ahead, you feel. 

15 minutes ago, The Marly said:

We haven't got Tommy to put it right this season though. 

Aye. Was it not looking ropey until he went "back to basics" away to Killie with Liam Craig in there.

Sprangler feels like Craig to me, so guess its about getting the same team around him.

This was the squad that day, presume Muzz was injured or suspended.

Screenshot_20231001_085901_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c7758930ab53061d8def198c8c3e4099.jpg

I still see us as clear relegation favourites, but a bit more optimism after yesterday.

The start to the season has been a disaster, but we’re only 4 points off 4 clubs, all of which you’d expect would be the clubs to finish in the bottom six; killie, County, Dundee, Livingston.

Mad to think Saints fans are talking about one of our worst seasons for a generation or two, whilst Dundee fans are raving about their greatest start to a season in living memory or something, and they’re a win and a draw above us.

We need to get the first win in the next few matches. Aberdeen away should be a great opportunity given they’ll have the distraction of a big European match this week.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I still see us as clear relegation favourites, but a bit more optimism after yesterday.

The start to the season has been a disaster, but we’re only 4 points off 4 clubs, all of which you’d expect would be the clubs to finish in the bottom six; killie, County, Dundee, Livingston.

Mad to think Saints fans are talking about one of our worst seasons for a generation or two, whilst Dundee fans are raving about their greatest start to a season in living memory or something, and they’re a win and a draw above us.

We need to get the first win in the next few matches. Aberdeen away should be a great opportunity given they’ll have the distraction of a big European match this week.

100% this. Start of the season and we lose that game yesterday. Bad VAR decision aside and we probably win. Results went against us yesterday too. 4 points off a bunch of sides grouped together would suggest all is not lost.

You could see yesterday the difference Sven makes on the pitch, but the off pitch attitude from him.is very positive too. Small things like the making sure he clapped all fans after the game can make a big difference. Remindes me a bit of Liam Craig on the pitch and that is exactly the kind of thing Craig did off the pitch too. Shades of Dino too.

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Saints appealing Gordon's red card. 

Just making sure his suspension is extended for another couple of games.

smart-thinking.jpg.ea3f669c988d063496ac05db5b3f09db.jpg

On 01/10/2023 at 10:17, PauloPerth said:

It’s only 7 games into the season. Continue the same trajectory and we’ll be 7 wins and however many draws ahead (yes my maths is shite but you get my drift). 

You’re right though, it’s games against the bottom 6 teams that will make all the difference. We’ve had a tough start with games against Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell and St Mirren who are probably top six sides. 

I think you’ll compete with the likes of us, County, Livi, and probably Killie to avoid the bottom two. Suppose my point is I can’t see you being stranded. 

In an ideal world, I’d keep the same back three with McGowan instead of Gordon, but that isn’t going to happen. I’d definitely keep Robinson there, however. I don’t think he’s particularly natural as a wing-back yet, and the left slot in a back three actually worked quite nicely for him.

30 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

You’re right though, it’s games against the bottom 6 teams that will make all the difference. 

Like keeping an eye on transfermarkts "make your own table" as the season goes on.

Already fair to say 7 sides look pretty much safe already?

So...

Screenshot_20231002_123046_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8021cda032f4bd6467e437d4db8ea713.jpg

Edited by RandomGuy.

The appeal for the red is a bit of a no brainer for a few reasons. Mainly, it wasn't a red, so you win and get it overturned.

But there is other spin offs. It give a little bit of confidence back to Gordon whose confidence will have been further shot after giving a penalty and being sent off. For the club to publicly back him will be good for him.

Also, if we win, it puts down a bit of a marker by the club that it won't just sit meekly back. Not sure we have challenged a VAR decision before.

Others will disagree, but I think Gordon was actually having quite a good game up until he gave the penalty away. He absolutely need to get back to where he was 18 months ago, but to do that he'll need to play like he did for c50 mins on Saturday and not the period between giving the penalty away and being sent off, where you could see the penalty decision got to him.

For me, folk are maybe going a bit over the top with the criticism. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Others will disagree, but I think Gordon was actually having quite a good game up until he gave the penalty away. He absolutely need to get back to where he was 18 months ago, but to do that he'll need to play like he did for c50 mins on Saturday and not the period between giving the penalty away and being sent off, where you could see the penalty decision got to him.

For me, folk are maybe going a bit over the top with the criticism. 

Agree. The defence was completely in control until the penalty, both Gordon and Considine were playing well. 

Fair point about the club backing him, though I’ll be surprised if we win the appeal. I thought at the time as well that he was probably annoyed at himself for giving Nouble the chance to dive for the penalty and maybe lost a bit of focus up until the red.

The stick online has been way over the top.  Seems to be the nature of football supporters these days that everything is extremes. You’re either a club legend or you’re shite and worthy of dogs abuse. Nothing in between.

Hes been out of form, as have most of our squad for some time. He’s a local lad who wants Saints to do well more than anyone else in the squad. He’ll know when he’s played below par and a wee bit of backing from Saints fans would probably do him good.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree. The defence was completely in control until the penalty, both Gordon and Considine were playing well. 

Fair point about the club backing him, though I’ll be surprised if we win the appeal. I thought at the time as well that he was probably annoyed at himself for giving Nouble the chance to dive for the penalty and maybe lost a bit of focus up until the red.

The stick online has been way over the top.  Seems to be the nature of football supporters these days that everything is extremes. You’re either a club legend or you’re shite and worthy of dogs abuse. Nothing in between.

Hes been out of form, as have most of our squad for some time. He’s a local lad who wants Saints to do well more than anyone else in the squad. He’ll know when he’s played below par and a wee bit of backing from Saints fans would probably do him good.

For folk with longer non blue tinted specs, it was the same with Spoony for long periods. Fans got on his back all the time when he was going through poorer spells. No doubt Gordon's form has been off, bit as above, he's not alone. Probable that the combo of being a fan and Captain is maybe a bit too much.