Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We all want our football club to be run sensibly and sustainability but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Every single decision can't always just come down to money. 

As a fan you go to the football to TRY and enjoy yourself. No one wants to sit in McDiarmid surrounded in Old Firm fans. 

Imagine saying to yourself after 90 minutes of listening 7000 of them while stuck in the Main Stand "I hated every minute of that. At least the club made another 100k though". 🤦‍♂️

The fact fans even consider ruing their own enjoyment even further just the club can make more money is idiotic in itself. 

It's about the Saints fans enjoyment first and foremost, you're not making the choice between life or death for the club. Raith's fans decision is also about atmosphere as well and not all about money. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

We all want our football club to be run sensibly and sustainability but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Every single decision can't always just come down to money. 

As a fan you go to the football to TRY and enjoy yourself. No one wants to sit in McDiarmid surrounded in Old Firm fans. 

Imagine saying to yourself after 90 minutes of listening 7000 of them while stuck in the Main Stand "I hated every minute of that. At least the club made another 100k though". 🤦‍♂️

It's about the Saints fans enjoyment first and foremost, you're not making the choice between life or death for the club. 

So true 

Personally I think Saints should refuse to sell any tickets to both Glasgow teams until they stop their bigoted shite. If we need to cut the playing squad by 4 or 5 players that's fine by me. Principles and dignity may not pay the bills but it may just turn the tide and pressure the rest of Scottish football into telling the bigoted b*****ds to f**k off.

Edited by tree house tam

53 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The fact fans even consider ruing their own enjoyment even further just the club can make more money is idiotic in itself. 

It's about the Saints fans enjoyment first and foremost, you're not making the choice between life or death for the club. Raith's fans decision is also about atmosphere as well and not all about money. 

Not every decision can be based on profit but it has to be given consideration and debated.  The situation at present gives Rangers & Celtic supporters behind both goals and corner of the main stand. The turnout from St.Johnstone supporters is very poor with a large number of season ticket holders also not attending. By giving them the East Stand and Saints fans all located in the Main Stand won't make any difference to the enjoyment level, our chances of success or the amount of sectarian singing but it will make the club more money allowing us to secure better players to enable us to compete on the pitch.

I would prefer if we could guarantee 4000 home fans at these games but it's not going to happen. 

The club made an error regards the Scottish Cup game v Rangers, not by giving Rangers fans the East Stand but by not reducing the match ticket price for Saints fans to £15. The majority of Saints fans I know boycotted the game due to the £30 ticket price rather than moving to the Main Stand.

We have posted a significant loss last financial year and the quality of our squad is looking like it may not good enough to remain in this league. 

The question should have been posed to season ticket holders at renewal with a full breakdown of the financial benefits and what it means to the club.

34 minutes ago, Carse of Gowrie Saint said:

Not every decision can be based on profit but it has to be given consideration and debated. 

Would people this season rather have the East Stand for the OF games, or have David Wotherspoon in the squad?....

But for me its a principle type of thing. We've enough money in the bank where every decision doesnt need to be financial, and not handing over "our" stand to opposition teams comes under that for me, particularly those particular supports. I think if they think its worth experimenting with giving the OF clubs the East, then its also worth experimenting reducing their allocation to see how it affects the home crowd (particularly younger age groups), but that never seems to enter any thoughts.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would people this season rather have the East Stand for the OF games, or have David Wotherspoon in the squad?....

But for me its a principle type of thing. We've enough money in the bank where every decision doesnt need to be financial, and not handing over "our" stand to opposition teams comes under that for me, particularly those particular supports. I think if they think its worth experimenting with giving the OF clubs the East, then its also worth experimenting reducing their allocation to see how it affects the home crowd (particularly younger age groups), but that never seems to enter any thoughts.

St mirren seem to have got it right....

7 minutes ago, Carse of Gowrie Saint said:

Stadium is a perfect size with a capacity of 8000, 2500 less than McDiarmid. They also have 1000 more season ticket holders than us.

So give up any semblance of home advantage, alienate home fans, abandon any pretence of growing the fan base, look like mugs to other similar sized clubs, for what?

Not sure what semblance of home advantage there is to be honest.

At present they get 2.5 stands, whereas if they get the East it’s 3. 

I hate being surrounded by them as much as everyone else, except on the rare occasions we beat them in which case it is tremendous, but the argument that giving them an extra half stand is surrendering home advantage is nonsense.

I’d go along with the give them no tickets, or only sell to OF fans over 50 or with children, to weed out the shite, but it’s never going to happen. Personally, if we see the extra income invested in the team or facilities for Saints fans, then I’m prepared to suffer the inconvenience of moving over. But I realise many are against it which is fair enough.

1 hour ago, Saint Paddy said:

So give up any semblance of home advantage, alienate home fans, abandon any pretence of growing the fan base, look like mugs to other similar sized clubs, for what?

It would only happen if the majority of season ticket holders were in favour. How many Saints fans turned up for the recent match v Rangers -1500? Home advantage in terms of support is gone anyway. I'm sure the players would prefer to play in a full McDiarmid too. 

To answer your last question, "for what" - probably too late but to enable us to pay the wages for the standard of player which will keep us in the top league.  

It was once mentioned at a fans meeting but Roddy Grant said nobody would agree to it and that was that.

I think though the suggestion of every season ticket holder paying more in return for Celtic and Rangers only being given the normal away part of the main stand and the North is worth at least putting to season ticket holders.

A lot of season ticket holders already pay more just by not attending these games.

I d happily pay say £75 more on my season ticket in return for not giving our ground up for these games, I don’t know about everyone else but surely it’s worth seeing.

2 hours ago, Carse of Gowrie Saint said:

probably too late but to enable us to pay the wages for the standard of player which will keep us in the top league.  

How much exactly do you think we'd be making by selling extra tickets to the OF?

Please include the increased policing costs, increased clean up costs, increased damage repair costs and lower home support in your working though.

We have 3 home games against them this season, even at its most basic setting you're looking at what, 1500 more tickets being sold at £30. So you're giving up your own stand, moving the majority of your season ticket holders in the process and leaving murals at risk, for at most £135k.

Extra costs means you're likely looking at between that figure and £100k.

Thats one player, and I'm not even sure it would be enough to get anyone thats vastly better than what we have. It genuinely would likely just allow us to have Wotherspoon now (which I'd like, but also don't think it would be the difference between staying up or going down).

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How much exactly do you think we'd be making by selling extra tickets to the OF?

Please include the increased policing costs, increased clean up costs, increased damage repair costs and lower home support in your working though.

We have 3 home games against them this season, even at its most basic setting you're looking at what, 1500 more tickets being sold at £30. So you're giving up your own stand, moving the majority of your season ticket holders in the process and leaving murals at risk, for at most £135k.

Extra costs means you're likely looking at between that figure and £100k.

Thats one player, and I'm not even sure it would be enough to get anyone thats vastly better than what we have. It genuinely would likely just allow us to have Wotherspoon now (which I'd like, but also don't think it would be the difference between staying up or going down).

Approx 4400 tickets currently available to Celtic/Rangers. By allocating them East Stand and behind both goals an extra 3200 tickets would be available @£30 each = £96k per game. 

With minimum 3 games that equates to two players on just under £3k per week per season. 3000 seats available in Main Stand for home support. 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We have 3 home games against them this season, even at its most basic setting you're looking at what, 1500 more tickets being sold at £30.

If even. What was the difference in attendance between the win over Rangers last November and the Scottish Cup game in January? 

Why dont we take 1 of the 3 games & play it in Dublin or Belfast? Sell 30k tickets minimum, could buy some more players with that.

Also Rangers & Celtic fans are happy to pay £30 but we're not maximising this. They'd still sell out a £40 maybe even £50, that could increase revenue by 66%.

8 hours ago, Carse of Gowrie Saint said:

extra 3200 tickets

55 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

If even. What was the difference in attendance between the win over Rangers last November and the Scottish Cup game in January? 

7487 in November with the usual set up.

Other games were 7758 and 7093.

Cup game with Rangers having 3 stands was 7855.

Presumably we're expected to believe a boycott wouldnt happen again and an extra 2800 fans would turn up from somewhere.

13 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Why dont we take 1 of the 3 games & play it in Dublin or Belfast? Sell 30k tickets minimum, could buy some more players with that.

Also Rangers & Celtic fans are happy to pay £30 but we're not maximising this. They'd still sell out a £40 maybe even £50, that could increase revenue by 66%.

Why not just give them McDiarmid entirely?

Players just want to play in full stadiums, fan majority being a sporting advantage isnt a thing, and adding more money to the £5m+ in the bank is the most important thing.