Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

Saints don't have the time for niceties. Fluffy bits can come later, but suspect the club just needed to get something out there. 

Alex Rae actually did an alright job for us for six months under exactly the conditions you've described there.

Just now, Steve McQueen said:

David Martindale be interested?

Surely he wouldn't? He might earn a wee bit more £££ and sure he'd get a wee bit more of a financial backing but hardly worlds apart from Livi!

He really annoys me with his interviews 😂 although you can't argue with him knowing how to find a good signing on a small budget!!

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Club statement:

St Johnstone Football Club can announce that it has parted company with Steven MacLean and Liam Craig.

In the interim, Alex Cleland will assume responsibilities for First Team matters.

IMG_6367.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Saints don't have the time for niceties. Fluffy bits can come later, but suspect the club just needed to get something out there. Scottish football being as it is, the second he got to his car, he'd be letting one or two folk know and within minutes, it would become known to local media.

I think it will have been Stan making the call on this, bur with approval of one of the Browns. Club probably needs to act quicker than it would want here, but they will know who is available, achievable and what is needed.

As much as Jody would be one for the fans, we need someone who knows most of the team, the opposition and could start tomorrow. Throw in the need for experience and it probably limits the choice to only a few; Wright, Nelson and urgh Ross are the first few that spring to mind, but there will be others. Would someone like Steve Agnew be interested if he thinks Robson will be gone sooner rather than later? 

Would a thank you for his services to the club really have taken that long to think up and type?  Every other club seems to manage. 

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

Would a thank you for his services to the club really have taken that long to think up and type?  Every other club seems to manage. 

While you're right. 

Also, does it matter? It's not like the involved parties will be happier about the sack because the public statement had the token gesture fluff. 

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

Makes no difference. He won't be reading it. Club I'm sure will put out a longer statement later. That one was just to get the info out there. Would be pretty sure it will have been a one liner texted to the media guys just to get it out there. 

4 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

While you're right. 

Also, does it matter? It's not like the involved parties will be happier about the sack because the public statement had the token gesture fluff. 

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Makes no difference. He won't be reading it. Club I'm sure will put out a longer statement later. That one was just to get the info out there. Would be pretty sure it will have been a one liner texted to the media guys just to get it out there. 

I just thought it would have been a decent thing to do.  Like I said every other club does it.  I was under the impression it was standard practice unless there has been a big fallout.

ETA for avoidance of doubt, my initial comment was in response to @Theyellowbox saying there wasn’t time for niceties.  Not whether it makes any meaningful difference. 

Edited by Shadow Play

24 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Not sure about binning Liam but you dont know what the circumstances were. Who pulled the trigger, Geoff? 

Maybe an indication they are serious about a change. Whoever comes in can hopefully put their own team in and give a long overdue new feel to the place. 

Will be the first non-continual appointment (maybe could argue Davidson wasn't technically) since Lomas?

19 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Did he not have about 3 years left on his contract?

Judging by the curt statement from St Johnstone I assume he didn’t resign?

Yeah signed a 3 year contract this Summer.

Genuinely wonder if the players have made it clear this morning hes zero support so the club had no choice and have just pumped out a statement?

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

No chance. He only takes jobs where he'll have the biggest budget in the league. 

Aye. We've more chance of Neilson after we've relegated than before, hes all about padding his CV with titles and not relegations i think. 

Id rule him, Alexander and Yogi out straight off. Lennon shouldnt be touched. Ross is earming more at Newcastle than we could get near. Murray has a great thing going at Raith so why leave for us? Ignore Scott Brown/Jody Morris as rookies. TW wont leave his NI job to risk his legacy IMO.

12 minutes ago, Center half said:

Wonder if something kicked off at training? Both Macca and Liam are a bit fiery!

I drove past earlier at 10 and saw no sign of life at the ground or on the training pitch. Found that odd after McLean’s post match interview. Unless they are training at Stirling again? 

Well that's a very welcome surprise on a Sunday afternoon.

For sure the right call, and the right time.

Glad he's gone before I hated him the way I do Callum.

All the best to a couple of legends who were dealt a shit hand and just didn't have what it takes.

Onwards and upwards 😬

4 minutes ago, Sconesaint said:

I drove past earlier at 10 and saw no sign of life at the ground or on the training pitch. Found that odd after McLean’s post match interview. Unless they are training at Stirling again? 

TBF i drive past training pitch a few times most days now and generally between 10.00am and 3.00pm i never see no life!