Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

You’re totally contradicting your own arguments here. How can 2 players who’ve barely played be deemed better than our record appearance holder. Whereas a player who’s down not to be good enough, may have been through lack of games?

Pick a train of thought and stick with it, either way at least one of your opinions is totally wrong.

The Ando quote was sarcasm aimed at Kyle, but was lost in the moment, though I'd play Gordon ahead of him now,I'm more than willing to wait  before condemning any player,plenty have looked poor,  but developed into decent players, eg. Ando;)

So with the news that Thomson has been released, we still have the following out of contract in the summer;

Alan Mannus

Mark Hurst

Keith Watson

Steven Anderson

Scott Tanser

Blair Alston 

Paul Paton

Murray Davidson

Chris Millar

Steven Maclean

Greg Hurst

Callum Hendry

Denny Johnstone (not technically our player, but out of contract with Colchester at the same time as his loan expires and I'd imagine we'll be in pole position to make the deal permanent if we want to)

A lot of work to do on the contract front. If I was a betting man, I'd say that  Anderson, Tanser, Alston, Paton, Davidson and Maclean will all receive offers of some kind or other. Mannus probably will too, although Clark seems to have cemented that number one slot in the eyes of the manager now so he may go with one of the young goalies as back up and let Mannus go.

The definite departures at this stage are probably Watson, Millar (as harsh as that may turn out to be - I think the writing is on the wall regarding him) and possibly the two Hursts.  

Johnstone and Hendry will probably depend on how things pan out over the rest of the season. Johnstone has certainly shown himself capable before the break though - certainly done himself no harm and Hendry is young enough where he may get th benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Ando is still a better player than either Kerr or Gordon because of his experience, I’d rather the other two played right now due to his form.

Thompson was crap, for a winger I don’t think I ever saw him put a decent cross in the box. Added nothing to the team in the games he played and won’t be missed.

Arguments over.

Good post. A bit of sense from the Perth hating, salt n sauce loving weirdo from Scotlands most aesthetic City.

1 hour ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I can't judge after so little time,  Fisher was poor forlonger,  but turned  out fine

Different position and he could be helped through games by the rest of the back four possibly. 

Obviously the coaching staff have seen enough of Thomson to know he's not going to make it at this level.

If that materialised I'd be happy. Not entirely sure the Swanson one will happen though. Be good if we could ship Millar out and replace him with Maury too. Love Millar as a player but Tommy doesn't trust him and he's on the way out so let's not prelong the situation. At 21 Maury will only get better.

Rory McKenzie story in the Daily Mail apparently 

The change might do McKenzie the world of good as he's became stale at Killie, a bit like O'Hara did before he joined the Dee's.  

The only concern is he's played every position in the midfield & upfront, he appears a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none thou tbh.

Hopefully, TW finds him a settled position at the Saints and I wish him all the best.

Welcome aboard Rory

My personal preference is the chip from the halfway line against you guys last season [emoji12] lol.

PS, I wouldn't challenge him to a round of 18 holes, he's a scratch golfer who could easily turn pro if he wanted too.

2 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

My personal preference is the chip from the halfway line against you guys last season emoji12.png lol.

PS, I wouldn't challenge him to a round of 18 holes, he's a scratch golfer who could easily turn pro if he wanted too.

If you're a scratch golfer you are a long way from being pro (never seen Rory play so not saying he couldn't easily turn pro but not because he plays off scratch).

Good luck to Rory.  Its no coincidence that as soon as we have a competent manager in that Rory has been dropped completely and then shipped out.  

If you're a scratch golfer you are a long way from being pro (never seen Rory play so not saying he couldn't easily turn pro but not because he plays off scratch).
Good luck to Rory.  Its no coincidence that as soon as we have a competent manager in that Rory has been dropped completely and then shipped out.  
I have to agree Dindy, Rory has become stale with us, a move is probably best for all three parties.

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

I have to agree Dindy, Rory has become stale with us, a move is probably best for all three parties.

Hope he does well.  I am clearly not his biggest fan but he is a good guy by all accounts and has been a good servant for us.

Hope he does well.  I am clearly not his biggest fan but he is a good guy by all accounts and has been a good servant for us.
He took a lot of unwarranted stick at times, a scapegoat if you will, but he's a likeable guy who does have a very good engine.

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

He took a lot of unwarranted stick at times, a scapegoat if you will, but he's a likeable guy who does have a very good engine.

This generations Jamie Fowler before we got Fowler moved into the defensive mid role that he excelled at.

People hated Jamie when he played in any of the various attacking roles we tried him in.