Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Bit of a kicker for Ross Sinclair? 

Unless the plan is Sinclair out on loan and Rae watching Mitov play. 

(Or Mitov away) 

If that's even the Rae it is

Is it though? He's barely played any first team football at any level and he's actually very injury prone, which for a goalkeeper isn't ideal. It's a position you need to play games to learn and for a variety of reasons he's yet to manage that.

He's obviously got a longer contract so getting him out on loan for a season is probably what he needs, as I'm not sure he looked the part when he started a few games last season. 

If we are losing Mitov (I'd be surprised if we didn't) you've potentially got a guy ready to make the step up if it is Rae and someone who played a full season at a level higher than Sinclair has ever managed. If Mitov does stay and you sign Rae as well, you've then got a contingency plan in place for the end of the season and saints have actually thought about forward planning which has been sorely missing. He's also still young for a keeper and potentially much like Mitov could have sell on value. 

Aye would imagine the plan is he either replaces Mitov this Summer or next.

Airdrie fans speaking very highly of him. Nice to see. Wouldn't say that this provides any sort of indication as to whether Mitov will stay or not, as we were always likely to find a replacement for Dave Richards regardless, but it's great to see us moving early and making a shrewd signing who could act as a very good back-up option or a contingency plan if the worst-case scenario occurs.

Just now, Widge said:

Have we paid a fee for him, or was he out of contract? 

I think he was out of contract but I imagine there is a (small) compensation fee due?

Said similar on the Airdrie thread but it’s a good signing for St. Johnstone and Rae. He got a bad injury in pre-season a couple of years ago so missed his first six months with us but the difference in the defence when he came back was notable. He ultimately saved the penalty which won us promotion that season so I don’t have a bad word to say about him. 

He did well again this season until he got another bad injury in March. Our style of play left him quite exposed at times but he’s very comfortable playing from the back, is pretty tall and will hopefully become a bit more commanding with that as he gets older. It might be because of our style of play but his mistakes were often funny and bizarre, conceding late goals while standing at the halfway line and he particularly loves charging out his box, sometimes attempting to tackle players outside the box when doing so. It’s a good laugh when he gets away with it. 

He’s maybe not quite ready to start every week at this level, and isn’t as good as Mitov, but the potential is definitely there.

15 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Are we back to being sensible?

Aye it feels like TWs last few with McCart and Rooney, to a degree?

Early/mid 20s, relatively experienced, performances deserving a step up to the top flight.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And what's to say Swansea haven't seen the same in Sidibeh?

If he'd moved to Fleetwood Town and hit 5 in 15, and performed how he had done, he'd 100% be of interest of Championship sides (A few were linked before we signed him), and he'd be looked at for £500k as a good gamble.

I'm fully convinced people are just talking him down/money we could get down purely because he plays for us.

I hope you're right about Adamah. But he's still raw and has plenty to learn.  Got to say I'm delighted but very surprised by your positivity to the boy. Contrast that to the way you constantly told us Callum Hendry could never sustain his goalscoring 😁

Never change Random, your input is fantastic. 

And the Dees can f**k right off when they come slagging you.

Really pleased with the two signings so far. That's some conveyor belt of goalies we've got on the go, and it's clear the Airdrie fans rate him as well. 

If that twitter hint about Banks is right, I'll be very pleased. 

I feel like we're signing good St Johnstone players right now, I'm well onboard the Craig Levein train. 

But, but he’s got no connection to Hearts…..that can’t be right, Levein only knows you if you’ve worn Maroon and under his tenure…!

18 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I hope you're right about Adamah. But he's still raw and has plenty to learn.  Got to say I'm delighted but very surprised by your positivity to the boy. Contrast that to the way you constantly told us Callum Hendry could never sustain his goalscoring 😁

Never change Random, your input is fantastic. 

And the Dees can f**k right off when they come slagging you.

Here, Hendry couldnt sustain his goals p90 figure and didnt. He ended up better than I expected though, he seemed too reckless/immature to me but that changed.

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'm well onboard the Craig Levein train. 

Aye. It's fickle as f**k but he's swaying me too with his transfer business, even in January at a shite window he made good deals. Connor Smith maybe an outlier? But even then the idea wasn't horrendous. 

Agreed re the January window and Connor Smith (and to some extent Kerr Smith but again you can see the logic in signing a young, pacier defender) haven't done as well as hoped. The face C.Smith has been linked with Hamilton hopefully shows that Levein can be ruthless and we can quickly get rid of players that just aren't quite good enough. 

Just now, Kyle said:

Agreed re the January window and Connor Smith (and to some extent Kerr Smith but again you can see the logic in signing a young, pacier defender) haven't done as well as hoped. The face C.Smith has been linked with Hamilton hopefully shows that Levein can be ruthless and we can quickly get rid of players that just aren't quite good enough. 

Did someone (Tam?) not suggest Kerr Smith was signed as they didn't expect Robinson back?

I did think both Smiths in January were signed mostly because he wanted numbers in the squad and hadn't been able to prepare massively for the window so just went with players he knew everything about.

Goalkeepers 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Josh Rae - 2026

Ross Sinclair - 2026

Defenders/wing backs

Olusadare Olufunwa - 2025

David Keltjens - 2025

Sam McClelland - 2025

Ryan McGowan - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

Liam Parker - 2024 

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2025

Fran Franczak - ??

Sven Sprangler - 2025

Connor Smith - 2025

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2025

Matt Smith - 2025

Alex Ferguson - 2025

Graham Carey - 2025

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Benjamin Kimpioka - 2025

Adama Sidibeh - 2026

Uche Ikpeazu - 2026

Taylor Steven - 2024

Released/left the club

Jack Wills

James Brown

Andy Considine 

Callum Booth (Spartans)

Tony Gallagher

Ali Crawford

Cammy Ballantyne 

Chris Kane (Dunfermline Athletic)

Loans ended 

Dave Richards

Kerr Smith

Luke Robinson

Diallang Jaiyesimi

A good few days with us getting Rae, Carey and Wright secured. 

Gordon or McGowan  and Steven and then a host of new signings across the defence and midfield and we're looking much better than last year.