Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

I'll bet that that line up and in that formation never lines up for Saints, even in the league cup or friendlies.

One million percent certain of this. It's just Random looking at worst possible scenarios, the daft c**t can't look at positives.

Aye there’s a long way to go yet. 

Sanders is right footed but played as a LCB at points for Ayr.

3 hours ago, Saint DBL said:

Must have missed that one, he may well be then. I was just going off the Ayr highlights I’d watched so who knows. 

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sanders is right footed but played as a LCB at points for Ayr.

Somewhere in the middle then 👍

8 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Professional players in the top league should be two footed. They have all day to practice ffs.

If you were an artist would you devote 80% of your day to practicing drawing with your weak hand? 

It's rarely worth the effort to get beyond "competent" with your weak foot. A whole lot of physical/mental issues are then when training your weak side that makes it harder than you think.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you were an artist would you devote 80% of your day to practicing drawing with your weak hand? 

It's rarely worth the effort to get beyond "competent" with your weak foot. A whole lot of physical/mental issues are then when training your weak side that makes it harder than you think.

Point one is a shit analogy.  

Point two. Rarely worth the effort? Bollocks. Footballers are paid good money for a very short working day. 

14 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Point one is a shit analogy.  

Point two. Rarely worth the effort? Bollocks. Footballers are paid good money for a very short working day. 

Ach it's a Sunday, do we really care about this enough?

Fairly sure Ryan McGowan is being linked with Central Coast Mariners just now, so think it's relatively safe to assume he's away?

There’s a difference between being an expert and being competent. For example when I play football, I can use my left foot relatively well and it does what I want, but it’s only 25% of what my right can do. The ones that annoy me are the players who just don’t try it, I’ll never moan at a player for attempting something on thier weaker foot and failing. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wild take.

They should be encouraged as bairns.

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Wild take.

They should be encouraged as bairns.

The entirety of coaches in football history when they realise all the needed to do to have a country full of dual footed stars is train them.

scropio.jpg.e60b9bc780d7486239a1f68268346b8f.jpg

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The entirety of coaches in football history when they realise all the needed to do to have a country full of dual footed stars is train them.

It's not on the coaches either.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

When Tony Docherty was our asst manager he used to say that left-sided players had a 40-50% better chance of becoming a professional because there was so few of them. Left-sided players tend to really struggle with their right foot whereas right footed players are competent with their left because they are more likely to find themselves playing on that side of the pitch. 

As for your point, coaches can encourage, assist and generally help players work on their weaknesses but ultimately the onus is on the individual to get better. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Having coached many young players, lots who are not exceptionally talented make it because they’re willing to work hard. The big saying I used to use was “hard work will always beat natural talent if natural talent doesn’t work hard “

Blaming coaches for players being one footed :lol:

Every kids coach that I've come across tries their hardest to encourage two footedness, whether that's through drills or one on one coaching. It's totally up to individuals if they try and take it on board.

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Blaming coaches for players being one footed :lol:

Every kids coach that I've come across tries their hardest to encourage two footedness, whether that's through drills or one on one coaching. It's totally up to individuals if they try and take it on board.

Doesn't make any difference what you do in training when you know that, if you try it in the match at the weekend and you fail, you'll get shamed for it by team-mates, parents and sometimes coaches, and maybe subbed or dropped. The problem isn't the training, it's that they're playing competitive, full-size games from much too young.

You can't blame children for not trying difficult skills in matches.

41 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Doesn't make any difference what you do in training when you know that, if you try it in the match at the weekend and you fail, you'll get shamed for it by team-mates, parents and sometimes coaches, and maybe subbed or dropped. The problem isn't the training, it's that they're playing competitive, full-size games from much too young.

True. But we're not talking about kids, we're talking about professional players who can't be arsed to work on their game. 

44 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Absolute shite.

They should be learning with both feet far younger than when they play competitive football, from the ages of 4-8 is all about building your technique and an introduction to the basics of the game. 8-11 should be all about introducing small sided games and slowly introducing throw ins etc to the games, no scores should be recorded. This is where they should be trying with weaker feet etc. If they're laughed at by parents and coaches at that age then they're at the wrong club.

Competitive football doesn't really start until 11 a side, when leagues, cups etc are up for grabs and the basic grounding should already be there.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Eh? They play a year of 4s, a year of 5s, two years of 7s and one year of 9s before it competitive.

As @tree house tam says, coaches can only do so much. I take a team of 10 kids. My son is 6th best on his best day. He's the only one competent on his weaker foot because I drilled it in to him and then he puts hours in himself. Others have asked him what he did to get that good on his left and quickly decided that it sounded like too much effort.

30 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Absolute shite.

They should be learning with both feet far younger than when they play competitive football, from the ages of 4-8 is all about building your technique and an introduction to the basics of the game. 8-11 should be all about introducing small sided games and slowly introducing throw ins etc to the games, no scores should be recorded. This is where they should be trying with weaker feet etc. If they're laughed at by parents and coaches at that age then they're at the wrong club.

Competitive football doesn't really start until 11 a side, when leagues, cups etc are up for grabs and the basic grounding should already be there.

Only thing I'd disagree with is the scores being recorded.

We play in graded leagues in Aberdeen from 7s. It does make a massive difference when they play an hour against a similar team than they would against some others.

Edit: There's no league table but the league secretary promotes and demotes based on wins and average goal difference per game.

Edited by DukDukGoose

51 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Absolute shite.

Don’t disagree with much of this but I was always an advocate of playing 11 a side as soon as possible. Where we go wrong is it should be played on a smaller pitch with smaller goals. I’d also introduce the snake method. Teams have a squad of 14 or so players and every 5 or 10 minutes the subs are introduced. They go on at right back, right centre half, left centre half. The front 3 players go off. Those remaining move up the snake ie right back ends up at left back, left back at centre mid etc. The added bonus is as well as giving equal playing time the players learn to play every position.