Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Comments about the stone of destiny being in the city centre somehow being of any remote relevance to St. Johnstone helps bring matters back down to earth with a bump though.

What are the odds he's researched that he's 13.2% related to Robert the Bruce?

17 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He was only at Malaga because he was appointed player-manager and at Wigan, his 9 games came 2 divisions above the player you've recently signed from Notts County, McLelland couldn't get a game for you lads last season and the Colonel doesn't even have a Wikipedia.

The stick you're beating Caulker here with is absolutely wild considering what you have signed up.

FWIW I watched some of Caulker last night and he seems done, tbh. He doesnt look achingly slow but only in straight lines. Any form of agility he has seems gone as twisting/readjusting at any speed is beyond him.

He'd get ripped apart in this division now.

9 (presumably) multi billionaire investors? We're walking this league boys. Wonder if the EPL will invite us directly into their league or if we'll have to work our way up from League 2 or something. 

I’ve not had much of a chance to read any of the Webb interviews etc until this morning. The difference in the stuff he’s coming out with compared to the S.Brown years is absolutely incredible!

Lads we’re gonna be a professionally run modern club!! We’re not gonna lose star players for peanuts. We’re not gonna not have season tickets or strips available after we win the next couple of cups. 

We’re not gonna hear about how European trips cost money!! 

SEXY ST Johnstone isn’t gonna be a joke!

Genuinely so so excited! 

Edited by gingermunkie

1 hour ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Comments about the stone of destiny being in the city centre somehow being of any remote relevance to St. Johnstone helps bring matters back down to earth with a bump though.

What are the odds he's researched that he's 13.2% related to Robert the Bruce?

In fairness to him, I think he was using it in the context of footfall in the town.

I.e. why don't we have a St Johnstone shop in the town when the Stone of Destiny is bringing so many people to Perth?

Big concerned knowing there’s 8 parties involved, however if Webb is the majority shareholder and has final say then I can accept that. 

Comments on boosting tourism id say is fair. Hard not to view Wrexham as an example of how it can be done and not only lift a club but a location too, but it needs to be built on solid ground, and we’ll need buy in from the council, who have destroyed the town centre and took 15 years to build that museum. 

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Big concerned knowing there’s 8 parties involved, however if Webb is the majority shareholder and has final say then I can accept that. 

Sounds very much like some of it's friends of his chucking in "spare change" on a hobby.

Really refreshing to hear about a proper strategy for the future rather than the last decade of descent into where we are, ironically during our most succesful period. 

Screenshot_20240711_095212_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4774a96f92b070c4ba897fdef813a3eb.jpg

Enjoying everyone subtly not saying that Steve Browns negativity amd half arsed nature was fucking us.

1 hour ago, perthsaints99 said:

In fairness to him, I think he was using it in the context of footfall in the town.

I.e. why don't we have a St Johnstone shop in the town when the Stone of Destiny is bringing so many people to Perth?

Yeah but does the stone of destiny bring anyone in? If it does its American pensioner tour buses, who are hardly likely to pick up a McDiarmid season ticket on their way past.

1 minute ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Yeah but does the stone of destiny bring anyone in? If it does its American pensioner tour buses, who are hardly likely to pick up a McDiarmid season ticket on their way past.

I think he's more getting at the extra tourists buying merchandise from a Saints shop in the town 🤔 

6 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Must be pretty sobering when Levein implies you are a dour c++t

We all know how he comes across in interviews and in general and that may be down to the droll monotone, but I was pleasantly surprised at how engaging and funny, in a daft dad type way, he actually is.

I still have many doubts about his footballing ideas and the general set up between him and Andy and it'll probably take a fair bit for that to change but as a person*? I'd say we could do a lot worse.

*Being a nice guy doesn't necessarily help with the job you're employed to do, i know this before anyone says.

Regarding the stone of destiny chat? What's to stop a Saints shop selling tourist gear with a slant to saints and vice versa with the museum? You need to engage and work as a team to present Perth as a tourist centre. I for one canny wait for Aaron Essel sitting on the stone of destiny merchandise.

The last king of Scotland rebirthed.

Im ok that there is multiple shareholders involved. Means thst if one gets bored or like Webb, takes a stake in another club, there is plenty there. Also might find that one or two get hooked and want to increae their share.

re the shop. I think it is a sensible idea. Aside from have somw visability in the town for locals, you will get aome tourists buying bits and bobs. A lot of folk, especislly with kids, when travelling abroad, pick up something for the local team. Doubt you'd find that making much of a revenue, but even a few tops, keyring etc adds something. As others have said, the rent/rates might determine where and how big you could you go with a shop. 

14 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

The new museum as a whole is bringing people from across the country to Perth, not just the odd tour bus. No question.

I don't have much knowledge about growing a brand but I can see that being the biggest challenge. 

It's all good and well having a nice branded shop in the town but how do you increase the interest and therefore the spend in the shop to make it worthwhile? How do you translate that into bums on seats regularly too?

I know the experts will have a few ideas but easier said than done I feel. Especially aside from thr museum the town being a ghost town. 

Personally I do hope they can reinvigorate the relationship between the city/fans/club. While it's not terrible If they can capture a bit more buzz then it'll make things exciting all round. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

2 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Is the SaintsTV test stream working for anyone?

Not for me, no.

Is there going to be one? Seems like premier have the streaming rights to the cup, so maybe kyboshed until league starts?

Edited by Saint Paddy

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I don't have much knowledge about growing a brand but I can see that being the biggest challenge. 

See Cambridge are trying to change their badge. 

Screenshot_20240711_104539_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e5f9fb821e84d42659cb11d0c2494048.jpg

Just now, Saint Paddy said:

Is there going to be one? Seems like premier have the streaming rights to the cup, so maybe kyboshed until league starts?

They're talking about testing it before games start this weekend so assume so? It'll be a blackout for UK viewers but those "abroad" might get a stream?