Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

27 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I honestly don't know how some folk can cope with being so raging all the time. 

Just think of the blood pressure 😬

Over the course of the last six months, I've been informed by GPs that I've got extremely high blood pressure and also extremely low blood pressure. You might have a point here.

Don’t have an issue with us signing a striker with potential. Doesn’t even matter he is Andy Kirk’s son.
The issue I have looking at the squad is that money could have been used in another area that are needed.  Desperately need some more experience and depth in defence and it looks like if he stays injury free cammy McPherson is going to be a regular in midfield which is unacceptable after the last few seasons.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20240719_200418_Chrome.thumb.jpg.520c19258bf61dbc6253eba447862fcb.jpg

Levein said the thing.

He has lifted that quote directly from the St Johnstone Banter page. Soon he'll be telling us that formations don't mean anything apart from where the players are standing at kick-off.

Naismith in the papers with his view on the Kirk move.

Steven Naismith explained the reasoning behind the decision.

“Makenzie is at an age where he wants to play first-team football," he told the club's official site.

“The competition at Hearts for a striker’s place is fierce, with the likes of Lawrence Shankland, Liam Boyce, Kyosuke Tagawa and Kenneth Vargas all vying for positions, as well as James Wilson, who came through the academy, and other forward players.

“It’s a tough ask to come into that environment and make a name for yourself. St Johnstone have come in and offered Makenzie a platform to try and make that next step, and it’s an offer the club are happy with so he goes to Perth with both our thanks for his time here and our best wishes for the future.”

So aye, hes definitely been signed to play and not be loaned out.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's a monumental downgrade on May though.

Stevie May 2024 is a monumental downgrade on football. Only striker on the books with no power to shoot. I've seen twelve year olds with a harder shot.

He's done and should've been away long before now. If all the strikers stay and are fit he doesn't even get in the squad. 3+ grand a week to sit in the stand while we lose millions? Right you are lads.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Stevie May 2024 is a monumental downgrade on football. Only striker on the books with no power to shoot. I've seen twelve year olds with a harder shot.

He's done and should've been away long before now. If all the strikers stay and are fit he doesn't even get in the squad. 3+ grand a week to sit in the stand while we lose millions? Right you are lads.

I'm definitely with you on May. 

Yes he does good stuff now and again but whenever a chance drops to him he fluffs it and scuffs it like he's a bairn. I can accept missing chances etc but him constantly fluffing it just fucks me off 😂

I appreciate there's more to football than scoring goals but he's also not exactly creative either. It's just work ethic and little else. 

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Yes he does good stuff now and again but whenever a chance drops to him he fluffs it and scuffs it like he's a bairn. I can accept missing chances etc but him constantly fluffing it just fucks me off 😂

I appreciate there's more to football than scoring goals but he's also not exactly creative either. It's just work ethic and little else. 

He is when hes played in a two, or with support, as he consistently proves. Hes the last player we have who hit double figures in a season, and the 1-0 win v County, which ended up decisive, comes entirely because he sees and plays a pass few others in our squad do.

If hes on £3k a week, which I don't believe he is after his last renewal, then hes nowhere near value for money. But to me theres a large gap in logic between wanting rid of May because hes costing too much for what he is, and replacing him by spending a fee on a 20yo who couldn't get a start for Hamilton.

Luke Rankin scored just a few less Lowland League goals last season than Kirk, is younger, and would be cheaper too.

5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I get the opinions about May as a striker nowadays, but believe that he is an intelligent player who would be of benefit playing deeper (e.g number 10 role). He can see a pass / assists and would far rather him being here for that reason.

Would like to see May play deeper tomorrow. It could give that attaking spark and confidence the team desparately need.

Whether Levein gives him the opportunity in that role is the question, though.

There is a fine line with "project" players. One or two is fine but we do seem to have a fair few at the minute. Whether they get that much game time is another story.

By the end of these cup games we'll know a fair bit more about most of them. Add a couple more, which we will no matter what Levein says, and the starting 11 probably isn't as bad as some are making out.

Rae

Olafunwa Sanders  Cameron

Sprangler

Wright         Raymond 

Essel

Kimpioka            Carey

Sidibeh 

Edited by tree house tam

Why have people decided Olufunwa is anywhere near it btw? Seeing this on Twitter and WAP aswell.

We're just totally and utterly reliant on players signed from Gambian football and the Spanish 4th tier, and a defender who couldn't get near Kilmarnocks side, to be able to cope with the top flight week in, week out, to even have a passable top flight 11 in Leveins (not) favoured shape.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Why have people decided Olufunwa is anywhere near it btw? Seeing this on Twitter and WAP aswell.

We're just totally and utterly reliant on players signed from Gambian football and the Spanish 4th tier, and a defender who couldn't get near Kilmarnocks side, to be able to cope with the top flight week in, week out, to even have a passable top flight 11 in Leveins (not) favoured shape.

At least get it right FFS.

Ones from Ghana the other was playing in Portugal. Your stats are fucking pish 

Just now, tree house tam said:

At least get it right FFS.

Ones from Ghana the other was playing in Portugal. Your stats are fucking pish 

My heads gone Tam, this is just a nightmare season creeping up on us and it will set us back so much.

I'm out until after the game tomorrow to save this thread anymore of my mewling.

And when Levein is inevitably binned whatever manager is next now has to rebuild AGAIN because of all his shite and project players that are "good at one thing". 

Rae

Olufunwa McLelland Sanders

Franczak Kucheriavyi C. Smith McPherson Keltjens

McPake Kirk

i know it's probably never going to happen, but it's utterly ridiculous that could be a starting 11 for us in the premiership. Would give half decent full time teams in league one the fear. 

Just now, Kyle said:

Rae

Olufunwa McLelland Sanders

Franczak Kucheriavyi C. Smith McPherson Keltjens

McPake Kirk

i know it's probably never going to happen, but it's utterly ridiculous that could be a starting 11 for us in the premiership. Would give half decent full time teams in league one the fear. 

I'll give you everything I own, including kidneys if that side ever plays a Premiership game together. It simply won't happen and you know it.

20 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I'll give you everything I own, including kidneys if that side ever plays a Premiership game together. It simply won't happen and you know it.

It most likely won't but we have duff options absolutely everywhere in the squad. One or two punts that might not work out is fair enough, we've got more players in that mould than we do players we know are competent enough to play this level. Some will get there as they're young, others it's pretty clear won't and are on long deals.