Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

An entertaining lively evening despite the loss.  We’re still off it but probably offered more than expected.

First 10 we were okay but then Aberdeen ripped through us at will for 15 minutes. Free headers in the box, beating players at will with quick passing. For a team with 3 centre midfielders we stood watching. 

In fairness Aberdeen have a really quick direct attacking style on turnovers and we couldn’t cope. A goal was coming a mile off. After that we started making a few challenges and got a foothold in the game. Matt Smith had his best game for us. He was absolutely anonymous for us most of the time I’ve seen him but his commitment and ability on the ball stood out tonight amongst our midfield.

Drey Wright needs to give far more, thought other than late on he was far too passive though probably got dragged into helping Neilson a lot as he (Neilson) doesn’t look mobile enough to be a right back.

We have to find a way of starting Carey until we get more quality in. There’s no player in our side can beat a player or create anything other than Carey’s quality of crossing.

Aye MacPherson. Always the wrong. choice, trying to be too clever and ignoring the obvious ball. Even when he does something decent he’ll f**k it up next possession. Nowhere near reliable enough to be a starting centre midfielder.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Drop him because he’s a bad player. Sack him for this:

IMG_1217.thumb.jpeg.db2cdc261f49c432158786736e72ee83.jpeg

He’s very quickly removed it. 

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

He’s very quickly removed it. 

It’s still there for me. Not sure what’s more disgusting - reposting that or spelling his name ‘Cami’ like he’s some sort of exotic dancer.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

Fair play to Matt Smith tonight, seen a lot of rubbish written about him but he’s a very good footballer who would benefit from having the right players alongside him to compliment his strengths. Not difficult to struggle when your moved out wide to accommodate those two imposters MacPherson and Phillips. 

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I’d been wondering why Tommy Robinson content was all over my Twitter feed 24/7. I’m going to entirely place the blame on Cammy for this. Unfollowed with immediate effect. 

1 minute ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

Fair play to Matt Smith tonight, seen a lot of rubbish written about him but he’s a very good footballer who would benefit from having the right players alongside him to compliment his strengths. Not difficult to struggle when your moved out wide to accommodate those two imposters MacPherson and Phillips. 

If we could get that version of Smith and Carey either side of a good quality sitting midfielder we might just about be on to something in there.

2 minutes ago, perthsaints99 said:

Encouraged that we’re nowhere near as far behind as some make us out to be. Give it time and we’ll be more than competitive IMO.

Think it all depends on what happens in the transfer market over the next few weeks. 

If we bring in 3 good quality starters then it’ll bring up the standard of the decent players we’ve got just now and I agree we could be competitive and do okay.  But tonight was about our strongest line up so everything else is a drop off in quality at present.

I know I’m against the grain here, but I’d like our new owner to stop courting popularity talking about scoreboards, smooth car parks and tv screens because some drunken Saints fans have slavered in his ear about it, or sent an email with all their great ideas.

Just get the cheque book out and get the first team squad up to what it needs to be.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If we could get that version of Smith and Carey either side of a good quality sitting midfielder we might just about be on to something in there.

Said it already, our best midfield performance last season was with Sprangler and Smith starting together against Killie. The two that should have started together tonight. 

6 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I’d been wondering why Tommy Robinson content was all over my Twitter feed 24/7. I’m going to entirely place the blame on Cammy for this. Unfollowed with immediate effect. 

How f**king dare you. (But I'm sure he's over it).

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I know I’m against the grain here, but I’d like our new owner to stop courting popularity talking about scoreboards, smooth car parks and tv screens because some drunken Saints fans have slavered in his ear about it, or sent an email with all their great ideas.

Just get the cheque book out and get the first team squad up to what it needs to be.

This.

It's what I was alluding to earlier.