Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just watching the highlights of st Mirren v Kilmarnock. Mandron gets booked for an elbow and 3-4 minutes later lunges into a late challenge that he’s lucky not to see a second yellow.

So Robinson reads the game and subs him before he gets himself sent off.  Only 19 minutes into the match.

Whilst we all sit watching Adama last month and Benji yesterday basically holding up a sign saying ‘watch me get sent off here’ and our bench does nothing.

It’s hugely frustrating for such an experienced manager to not be able to read what’s happening in front of him. And again, with the complete lack of leadership in the team, there’s nobody having a word in Benji’s ear to calm him down or even saying to the bench you need to get him off.

It’s just brain dead naive football that infuriates. We used to be so streetwise and switched on in matches but now we’re like a pub league outfit at times in the way we go about our Saturday afternoons.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Just watching the highlights of st Mirren v Kilmarnock. Mandron gets booked for an elbow and 3-4 minutes later lunges into a late challenge that he’s lucky not to see a second yellow.

So Robinson reads the game and subs him before he gets himself sent off.  Only 19 minutes into the match.

Whilst we all sit watching Adama last month and Benji yesterday basically holding up a sign saying ‘watch me get sent off here’ and our bench does nothing.

It’s hugely frustrating for such an experienced manager to not be able to read what’s happening in front of him. And again, with the complete lack of leadership in the team, there’s nobody having a word in Benji’s ear to calm him down or even saying to the bench you need to get him off.

It’s just brain dead naive football that infuriates. We used to be so streetwise and switched on in matches but now we’re like a pub league outfit at times in the way we go about our Saturday afternoons.

Agreed.

We should be appealing the red card though. A worse challenge in the game today was a yellow and var reviewed it and still a yellow. 

I think you can see why he kept Kimpioka on yesterday? He'd already subbed Kirk on so his attacking sub options were really just Dair and McPake. Gambling that Kimpioka would be more useful than either is maybe worth the gamble and he'd have been slaughtered if he'd taken him off and left Kirk as a lone striker IMO.

29 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Agreed.

We should be appealing the red card though. A worse challenge in the game today was a yellow and var reviewed it and still a yellow. 

Seeing it back it was a bit harsh and think the Hibs players’ reaction played a part.  I don’t think we’d get anywhere with an appeal as he did dive in a bit late, but you never know.  We’re not getting much luck out of refs just now when you see Rooney kicking lumps out of a killie player on the ground that neither the ref nor var do anything about, and compare it to Sanders’ sending off the other week.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think you can see why he kept Kimpioka on yesterday? He'd already subbed Kirk on so his attacking sub options were really just Dair and McPake. Gambling that Kimpioka would be more useful than either is maybe worth the gamble and he'd have been slaughtered if he'd taken him off and left Kirk as a lone striker IMO.

Usually yes but not yesterday. Benji had lost the head and the game was well done by that stage. Give a run about to a youngster for the last 5 minutes.

We barely tickled Hibs in the penalty box yesterday let alone create anything.  It wasn’t his day and his careless pass for Hibs’ second summed it up.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McPake was on by that point too.

Kimpioka had been given a warning about some of his challenges a couple of minutes before so it was pretty obvious his head was gone. If it was the 60th minute or something then I’d agree that leaving him on was worth the gamble, given what was on the bench, but it was the 89th minute and the game was done. Think you’re right that he’d be getting slaughtered whatever he decided to do though. 

Edited by PSJ.84

3 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Kimpioka had been given a warning about some of his challenges a couple of minutes before so it was pretty obvious his head was gone. If it was the 60th minute or something then I’d agree that leaving him on was worth the gamble, but it was the 89th minute and the game was done. Think you’re right that he’d be getting slaughtered whatever he decided to do. 

Agree, should have been off. I also would have thrown a couple of the young boys on too. Game was gone and damage was done, but could have salvaged something positive by giving folk league debuts.

I think Levein is showing a bit of a slowdown in his in game reactions, but his assistants should be coming up with answers too. I actually think he is either running them all by, or letting, Kirk make some of the decisions. There is far far too much looking at clipboards etc before we male subs. The comparison to how quickly St Mirren subbed of a player before he was sent off is an excellent one. Shows a manager who is on it, vs one who is not. 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I'm not someone who generally claims to be in the know about things (in fact the opposite is more commonly the case) but this is one subject I do have a bit of knowledge on and I can assure you that the above comment is incorrect.

We've both probably been told by the man himself, at different times. Hopefully yours has been recently.

23 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Kimpioka had been given a warning about some of his challenges a couple of minutes before so it was pretty obvious his head was gone. If it was the 60th minute or something then I’d agree that leaving him on was worth the gamble, given what was on the bench, but it was the 89th minute and the game was done. Think you’re right that he’d be getting slaughtered whatever he decided to do though. 

His deliberate attempt to knee the goal keeper was unnecessary as well 🤦‍♂️

I can’t remember properly, and it might just be as a result of my mindset at the moment concerning the club, but did he not leave under a cloud the last time with his coaching capabilities questioned? 

Apologies if that’s not the case and I’ve completely made it up.