Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

It also shows that although the defence has conceded slightly more goals it's really the lack of decent striking options that has failed us this season.

Undoubtedly the return from attackers hasn't been sensational but it's been the only real source of goals, so the whole squad have to shoulder some responsibility.

Kerr and Shaughnessy (one each) are only defenders to score in the league. Wotherspoon scored on the opening day and hasn't since, Scougall has one and Willock has one that was arguably an OG. Alston has a couple leaving Davidson (five) as the only non-attacker with a good contribution from open play. Has Liam Craig ever had a season where he hasn't scored before? At least he's created a few goals.

Even if McMillan can match the 8 goals that MacLean averages and Kane can be a one-in-three or one-in-four player, we are going to need more goals from other areas next season.

In the past we've always been able to rely on the defence if we are struggling for goals but moving forward, I'm not sure that confidence is there.

Edited by Radford

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Undoubtedly the return from attackers hasn't been sensational but it's been the only real source of goals, so the whole squad have to shoulder some responsibility.

Kerr and Shaughnessy (one each) are only defenders to score in the league. Wotherspoon scored on the opening day and hasn't since, Scougall has one and Willock has one that was arguably an OG. Alston has a couple leaving Davidson (five) as the only non-attacker with a good contribution from open play. Has Liam Craig ever had a season where he hasn't scored before? At least he's created a few goals.

Even if McMillan can match the 8 goals that MacLean averages and Kane can be a one-in-three or one-in-three player, we are going to need more goals from other areas next season.

In the past we've always been able to rely on the defence if we are struggling for goals but moving forward, I'm not sure that confidence is there.

Good post.  The lack of goals from players who normally get a few (Spoony, Craig, Ando) has been a real issue and suggests the tactics/service my be the reason given these players normally chip in with some.  Scougall is an enigma to me - looks a tidy wee player but there has been very little end product.  I think him and Alston have to step up to the plate more next season.  Hopefully we sign at least one creative, forward thinking midfielder this summer.

This season just hasn't been great in any part of our team. Defence, Midfield or Attack, I'd even include Management in that as well. There's been plenty plus points at times for individuals, but it's a team game and there's no doubt we've regressed this season, loads of reasons why though. I can't wait till next season to see if Tommy can rebuild an exciting side.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Has Liam Craig ever had a season where he hasn't scored before? At least he's created a few goals.

He's scored at least three this season (2x Dundee, 1 v Partick), although they've all been penalties. 

3 goals and 10 assists for Craig looks fine on paper but I don't think he's contributed much to our overall play.  Clearly a moneyball decision that he's played as much as he has.

Got to also remember in two of those seasons we had the chubby wee baller for at least a half. That in itself counted for 10 goals a season average, just highlighting how good he was from midfield.

Blair Alston has signed a 1 year contract extension. If we're being honest, that's probably about all he's earned. I'm glad he's staying with us all the same.

Edit: the contract has the option for a second year depending on his first team involvement next season. Think the club have called that one perfectly.

Edited by Kyle

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Blair Alston has signed a 1 year contract extension. If we're being honest, that's probably about all he's earned. I'm glad he's staying with us all the same.

Edit: the contract has the option for a second year depending on his first team involvement next season. Think the club have called that one perfectly.

Yup, it may just be the boot up the arse he's been needing really. 

An interesting tidbit in Wright's interview too regarding Alston;

“We played Blair out wide for most of the season but I’m hoping that next year we can bring him into a more central role and utilise him there."

I've always felt Alston is more comfortable wide. Perhaps points to Wright looking for a more natural wing options for next year?

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Tommy seeing Alston as a Central Midfielder is a bit more worrying tbh.

If we're persisting with the 3-4-1-2/3-5-2 I'm less worried about Alston in the 3 man midfield than I would be in a 2. I think he'd be a decent link player between the midfield and strikeforce as he is a relatively intelligent player. I was kind of hoping that role was reserved for Scougall though, so perhaps not.

I think Alston has been better wide as well. I don't think his touch is good enough at times to be in a crowded central area where you're looking for players to receive the ball under pressure. Out wide he has more space, and I also think it suits his attributes; he has a great engine, reasonable speed over a longer distance and can put in a decent cross.  But the manager sees him all the time, and obviously feels it's time he stepped up and took more responsibility. Hope I'm proven wrong, but on what's I've seen of him I think it's a very uninspiring choice for central midfield.

Agree with Tam, hardly any of the squad have had good seasons, so possibly a bit harsh to single out Liam Craig when he's been involved in well over a third of our goals.  I'd give pass marks to Mannus, Davidson and Millar when he's played I would say.  The rest can all pick up a gear, which should be seen as a positive as a couple of quality additions added to the whole squad improving their performance levels should see us climb the table.

When you look at our defensive options; Foster, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Kerr, Gordon, Easton, Tanser there's not one player you would worry about seeing in the starting side. It's a decent standard for this level. The difficulty is going to be picking the right ones and in the best formation, as I'm not sure we've cracked that yet.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Perhaps points to Wright looking for a more natural wing options for next year?

I wonder if there has ever been a close season when Wright isn't desperately chasing wingers.

A one-year deal sounds sensible. Alston is surely a better player than he's shown us so far.

If we're persisting with the 3-4-1-2/3-5-2 I'm less worried about Alston in the 3 man midfield than I would be in a 2. I think he'd be a decent link player between the midfield and strikeforce as he is a relatively intelligent player. I was kind of hoping that role was reserved for Scougall though, so perhaps not.

I’d agree with that, I think Alston is a decent box to box player, who does see space and isn’t afraid to shoot when required. He’s also clearly capable of doing it as well. You’re maybe looking at a three in the middles of Alston - Davidson - Scougall. I don’t know where that would leave the likes of Williams if he signs, unless we play a lone striker and have him floating which might work. It hasn’t so far because MacLean isn’t a lone frontman.

I thought Alston was looking good as a wing back, and wouldn't have minded him and Foster competing with each other for that role in a back five. 

Can't see him playing in the central. Lacks composure. Millar was like that on the wing aswell, though.