Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Scougall gets pushed off the ball too easily for playing in central midfield 

Blair Alston is solid as f**k isn't he?

I just want Scougall in the side as he can beat people and is fairly decent in possession. We're paying a hefty sum for him to sit about, f**k that, all just to prove a point or get him to leave? It's not right and doesn't sit well with me.

7 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Blair Alston is solid as f**k isn't he?

I just want Scougall in the side as he can beat people and is fairly decent in possession. We're paying a hefty sum for him to sit about, f**k that, all just to prove a point or get him to leave? It's not right and doesn't sit well with me.

I agree that Scougall is a good player but there is obviously some kind of issue between him and TW.My suspicion is that this is the reason that Swanson was signed and Scougall we be punted or go out on loan in the next window.Having said that no way is he a central midfield player..

4 hours ago, The Marly said:
19 hours ago, Fife Saint said:
There is the possibility that he can't cut it and Tommy knows it.

I think this is doubtless the case. Good luck trying to convince the Scougall lovers on here though.

So if we tried to punt him to Motherwell in the summer you're basically saying Scougall proved last season he wasn't good enough for Saints and had to be shipped out asap as he's not even good enough for a place on the bench?

Few things, Scougalls longest run of consecutive starts is 5. He's only played more than an hour of football 16 times.

He's only played 1700 minutes for Saints, the equivalent of 18 matches.

He's scored two goals in that time.

He's a high end target of TWs, who's been handed a massive wage, and he's been completely written off based on half a season worth of games based over 12 months, with him barely getting a run of games. You could count the number of games in his preferred position on half a hand.

He's not contributed enough, clearly, but compare and contrast those figures to Alston, (first season, 2000 minutes, 3 goals - second season, 1800 minutes, 2 goals), who's continued to get chance after chance until he's finally nailed down a solid performance level in his preferred position, and explain how it doesn't seem harsh how Scougalls been cast aside.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Few things, Scougalls longest run of consecutive starts is 5. He's only played more than an hour of football 16 times.
He's a high end target of TWs, who's been handed a massive wage, and he's been completely written off based on half a season worth of games based over 12 months, with him barely getting a run of games. You could count the number of games in his preferred position on half a hand.
He's not contributed enough, clearly, but compare and contrast those figures to Alston, (first season, 2000 minutes, 3 goals - second season, 1800 minutes, 2 goals), who's continued to get chance after chance until he's finally nailed down a solid performance level in his preferred position, and explain how it doesn't seem harsh how Scougalls been cast aside.
i enjoy your posts RG and think your a very good contributor to the forum but where do you pull all these boring stats from!? your well versed when it comes to scottish football but perhaps overly!

7 hours ago, ah-dee said:
13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

i enjoy your posts RG and think your a very good contributor to the forum but where do you pull all these boring stats from!? your well versed when it comes to scottish football but perhaps overly!

I get them off a website, no knowledge is needed.

13 hours ago, 7-2 said:

So if we tried to punt him to Motherwell in the summer you're basically saying Scougall proved last season he wasn't good enough for Saints and had to be shipped out asap as he's not even good enough for a place on the bench?

I never said that at all.

When Scougall was signed, Steve Brown was quoted as saying the club had "pushed the boat out" to get him.  That would suggest to me that he is on a large wage.  Tommy isn't picking him even for the bench, so to me he isn't justifying being one of our top earners.  Given we have plenty options in his position, I think that wage would be better spent elsewhere in the squad, particularly in centre midfield.

My feeling on Scougall is that he isn't as good as the hype when he signed.  All this talk about his preferred position doesn't wash with me - if he is as good as some claim he should be able to at least influence a match from other positions.  He doesn't affect games enough compared to other attacking midfielders we've had over the last few seasons.  Swanson and  MOH being the obvious examples.  Even the much maligned Spoony is much more likely to affect a match than Scougall (stats prove this beyond doubt).  Drey Wright will have much more influence on games this season than Scougall.  Callachan in his very limited time so far has a goal and probably should have had a pen v Aberdeen.  Despite Random's stats, Alston (who I've been very critical of myself) brings more threat to opposition defences than Scougall.  Even looking at Scougall's 2 goals, one was after some joke defending by Accies and the other was a very good goal, but scored against the poorest Falkirk team in years.  I last watched Scougall v Montrose and if I said he looked ordinary, that would be too complimentary.

However,  my thoughts on him don't matter - Tommy Wright isn't picking him and I think it would be best for all parties if he moved on.  I don't think he will get a higher level club than Saints and I'm prepared to be proved wrong, but I don't see him coming back to haunt us either.

29 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It's possible then that Scougall doesn't have a very good attitude towards training compared with others in the squad.

After TW and Millar, I'm more inclined to believe he's simply been frozen out because TW doesn't like him/trust him.

17 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Swanson and  MOH being the obvious examples. 

Over Swansons first 26 games at the club, he scored 3 goals..

If you exclude Scougalls goals for being "lucky", it's unfair to include Swansons penalties, so his record is 9 goals in 68 games. 

In terms of Wotherspoon, he's had two 2000+ minute seasons and the most goals he's contributed is 3.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I would add, that the "eye test" highlights Scougall isn't as dangerous as Swanson, not even close, I'm just highlighting that players often struggle when they first join and don't have a legitimate run of games, so it's seems excessively harsh to have completely frozen him out based on the minutes/run of starts he's been afforded.

Fisher looked rotten when he was in and out the squad, sometimes at right back, sometimes central midfield, yet once he got a settled run at right back turned into a player we'd all have kept. I worry Scougall is exactly what we need just now, but is getting forgotten about.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Over Swansons first 26 games at the club, he scored 3 goals..

If you exclude Scougalls goals for being "lucky", it's unfair to include Swansons penalties, so his record is 9 goals in 68 games. 

In terms of Wotherspoon, he's had two 2000+ minute seasons and the most goals he's contributed is 3.

I don't think stats are the be all and end all like you do though.  Swanson is miles better than Scougall.

And given your love of stats you should know that Spoony has had a 9 goal season.

12 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I don't think stats are the be all and end all like you do though.  Swanson is miles better than Scougall.

And given your love of stats you should know that Spoony has had a 9 goal season.

Wotherspoons first season he scored 1 goal in 50 games.

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

After TW and Millar, I'm more inclined to believe he's simply been frozen out because TW doesn't like him/trust him.

Why was Millar frozen out for a bit though?TW couldn't trust his fitness. You, in fact, would lose your shit when he was subbed off after 10 minutes.

I don't think Tommy goes full on bitter Mourinho for no reason.

I made the point about training because TW seems to take hold the good trainers in high regard.

Remember he did an interview stating how good Pates was? His attitude in training was amazing and he'd never missed a day off sick etc etc.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wotherspoons first season he scored 1 goal in 50 games.

And had loads of assists including vital assists in European games.  Stats aren't the be all and end all.  I personally wouldn't judge Scougall or any midfielder on goals, more on how much they influence a game.  Scougall hasn't done that enough for me or more importantly to convince the manager that he's worth a place.  That's the bottom line.  I realise that you think Scougall is some sort of Scottish Messi - he isn't though.

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Why was Millar frozen out for a bit though?TW couldn't trust his fitness. You, in fact, would lose your shit when he was subbed off after 10 minutes.

I don't think Tommy goes full on bitter Mourinho for no reason.

I made the point about training because TW seems to take hold the good trainers in high regard.

Remember he did an interview stating how good Pates was? His attitude in training was amazing and he'd never missed a day off sick etc etc.

BawbagGuy forgets what he posts sometimes though :lol: