Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

44 minutes ago, Templar said:

I do not understand why MOH is called a forward. 1. he can not jump and 2. he struggles to hold the ball. He is a winger or right sided midfield. he played right midfield when he arrived relegating Croft and Hasslebaink to the bench. When he returned on loan he played wide left. If we are calling wingers forwards then Kennedy etc are also forwards.  Quoting MOH as a forward is in my opinion nonsense, we need a forward and him out wide.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The manager said he wants to play him as a forward.

This.

The official website has him (along with Matty Kennedy actually so I should probably shift him) listed as a forward as well.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The manager said he wants to play him as a forward.

Yes but this still does not make him a forward. Just my opinion, we have more to lose playing him there. We tried it a couple of times at the end of the season. Tactic play the ball over the top and try and use his speed but it did not work. The last couple of games, he was wide and he started to look like the MOH of old. But Tommy is in charge and if Tommy says he wants up front then time will tell. I hope I am proved wrong

8 minutes ago, Templar said:

Yes but this still does not make him a forward. Just my opinion, we have more to lose playing him there. We tried it a couple of times at the end of the season. Tactic play the ball over the top and try and use his speed but it did not work. The last couple of games, he was wide and he started to look like the MOH of old. But Tommy is in charge and if Tommy says he wants up front then time will tell. I hope I am proved wrong

I thought he was superb there against Motherwell tbh.

I do not understand why MOH is called a forward. 1. he can not jump and 2. he struggles to hold the ball. He is a winger or right sided midfield. he played right midfield when he arrived relegating Croft and Hasslebaink to the bench. When he returned on loan he played wide left. If we are calling wingers forwards then Kennedy etc are also forwards.  Quoting MOH as a forward is in my opinion nonsense, we need a forward and him out wide.
He played mainly wide left when he first arrived with Spoony usually wide right.

50 minutes ago, The Marly said:
16 hours ago, Templar said:

He played mainly wide left when he first arrived with Spoony usually wide right.

He did in the semi and cup final, but didn’t he flit between left and right a lot?

I remember him playing wide right more for some reason, skinning the full back and driving a ball across the front post e.g. alashkert. No idea if he did okay there more, just my memory.

Prefer him wide to up front mostly, but it’s still a good option to have, e.g. the 3-1 LC win at Ibrox and the Motherwell game mentioned.

40 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He did in the semi and cup final, but didn’t he flit between left and right a lot?

I remember him playing wide right more for some reason, skinning the full back and driving a ball across the front post e.g. alashkert. No idea if he did okay there more, just my memory.

Prefer him wide to up front mostly, but it’s still a good option to have, e.g. the 3-1 LC win at Ibrox and the Motherwell game mentioned.

He definitely moved to the right but did start left, I remember mewling about us taking so long to try him there after he ran riot against Aberdeen in the semi.

I'm sure he played the "10" role against Hamilton away aswell, when he scored a screamer.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He definitely moved to the right but did start left, I remember mewling about us taking so long to try him there after he ran riot against Aberdeen in the semi.

I'm sure he played the "10" role against Hamilton away aswell, when he scored a screamer.

That's right he ran them ragged that day.. weren't we 4 up or something before losing a couple of late goals?

Think that was in his best spell, when we went quite a few away games unbeaten on the bounce. After that he (and the team) lost a bit of form and MOH was sold in the January after we chucked a great chance of a LC final against County by not turning up against Hibs.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That's right he ran them ragged that day.. weren't we 4 up or something before losing a couple of late goals?

Think that was in his best spell, when we went quite a few away games unbeaten on the bounce. After that he (and the team) lost a bit of form and MOH was sold in the January after we chucked a great chance of a LC final against County by not turning up against Hibs.

Cant remember the exact scoreline tbh, but he was pretty unplayable, only time I can remember him scoring from outside the box.

Im sure he picked up a knock at some point then ended his form, he certainly wasnt fit for the Hibs game.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cant remember the exact scoreline tbh, but he was pretty unplayable, only time I can remember him scoring from outside the box.

Im sure he picked up a knock at some point then ended his form, he certainly wasnt fit for the Hibs game.

I think the pitches turning to shite (especially our own) around that time of year didn't do him any favours either.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think the pitches turning to shite (especially our own) around that time of year didn't do him any favours either.

Probably. One of my favourite Saints photos is of MOH tbh.

post-424-14459995228844_thumb.jpg.ce0d247ef2a0aadff1bf4fe3ec34bbcd.jpg

32 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It's a brilliant picture, had forgotten about it.

I remember a few of us were comparing it to the famous Maradona one!

I tried to find a gif I made of him beating four Alashkert players but ended up depressing myself watching highlights of that game.

Midfield/Attack set up of...

Brown - Scobbie

MOH - MacLean - Kane

Sutton

😂

4 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Did we not end the game with no actual midfield players or something. I have managed to erase the game from my memory but I just seem to remember Scobaresi pounding about the midfield.

Ando was subbed off for Liam Caddis at some point. Cant remember how we reshuffled after that tbh.

We ended up with Brad McKay at centre back for a long period as well. Did he not sell the goal? It all came from that incident where the guy blatantly elbowed Ando-a stick on red card that broke his cheekbone and put him out for two months-only for Anderson to be booked as he was taken off injured.

Still very bitter about that.

30 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We ended up with Brad McKay at centre back for a long period as well. Did he not sell the goal? It all came from that incident where the guy blatantly elbowed Ando-a stick on red card that broke his cheekbone and put him out for two months-only for Anderson to be booked as he was taken off injured.

Still very bitter about that.

I'm sure we had some set piece and McKay was in the box, their player got the ball in the right back position and McKay diverted course from running back to get in position to try and challenge for the ball. He was never ever getting there and the boy papped it forward, Scobbie let it go over his head and Mannus was slow to come out.

That's my memory of it, but we all know it can be miles out. McKay certainly faced the brunt of the blame though.

I'm miles out 😂 you can see McKay at the start of the clip running back, but not sure how he got more blame than Scobbie...

1561273538365014.gif.1532e12135998c84c4f3d757a64fa211.gif

Edited by RandomGuy.