Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Its not related but have Saints ever played in Italy before?

As far as I can tell the European countries we've played in are...

Armenia (Alashkert)

Belarus (Minsk)

Bosnia (Zeljeznicar)

Finland (Vaasa)

France (Monaco)

Germany (Hamburg)

Hungary (Vasas)

Lithuania (Trakai)

Norway (Rosenborg)

Slovakia (Spartak Trnava)

Spain (Real Madrid)

Switzerland (Luzern)

Turkey (Esksehirspor)

... not sure if theres any friendlies abroad that aren't there.

Wonder if anyones been to them aswell, would need to be someone fairly old now though.

Edited by RandomGuy.

So TW has now decided he wants more players, and will ship folk out to try and get them in as the budget there just now is entirely for a striker.

Ando and McMillan the obvious permanent ones, surely McCann and Hendry obvious ones for loan.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So TW has now decided he wants more players, and will ship folk out to try and get them in as the budget there just now is entirely for a striker.

Ando and McMillan the obvious permanent ones, surely McCann and Hendry obvious ones for loan.

Surly he has known this since the end of last season. This cannot be a reaction to our "disastrous" performance in the League Cup. We are now less than a week to the start of the season and he is about to dip into the transfer market if he can players out. Nothing new about SAINTS always at the cow's tail. Some may say, what is the panic, we will not know that answer until the close of the window (5 weeks and 5 games into the league) on Monday 2nd September

I suppose in his defense, he is in a catch 22, he lets a striker, midfielder and a centre back go and then he cannot replace them. But if this the case, he needs to take that chance if we are going to improve the squad.

I think any of the four youngest members of the squad (Hendry, McClean, McCann and Duffy) could go out on loan and we wouldn't be any weaker for it. I know it won't bring megabucks in but they'll still be looking to get Ballantyne and Struthers out as well since there is no reserve league.

After that? 

Foster, Davidson, Craig and Wotherspoon are the experienced ones you would say are definitely safe. 

Tanser, Kerr, Wright, O'Halloran and Kennedy are all established players and Gordon, Kane and obviously Vihmann will be fine too. 

That only leaves you Anderson, McMillan, Callachan and Swanson. The latter has been heavily involved over the pre-season but if he doesn't start the season well, could he in danger come the end of August. Callachan has probably had a reprieve after the weekend but we've seen before with the likes of McDonald and Paton that these midfielders can be in the team one minute then gone the next. 

McMillan is on the transfer list and Anderson isn't going to play if Vihmann is up to the task. Those two moving on would at least be a start. 

Read this article it states

Aberdeen striker Stevie May does not yet know where he will be playing next season, after a move to former club St Johnstone broke down.

According to the Evening Express, the player had passed a medical and was set to return to his former side. However, the move will now not be happening after talks between the teams broke down.

Was it Aberdeen who cancelled the move because they wanted more. As the reason given is "talks between the teams broke down"

The truth continues to be a mystery. 

15 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think any of the four youngest members of the squad (Hendry, McClean, McCann and Duffy) could go out on loan and we wouldn't be any weaker for it. I know it won't bring megabucks in but they'll still be looking to get Ballantyne and Struthers out as well since there is no reserve league.

After that? 

Foster, Davidson, Craig and Wotherspoon are the experienced ones you would say are definitely safe. 

Tanser, Kerr, Wright, O'Halloran and Kennedy are all established players and Gordon, Kane and obviously Vihmann will be fine too. 

That only leaves you Anderson, McMillan, Callachan and Swanson. The latter has been heavily involved over the pre-season but if he doesn't start the season well, could he in danger come the end of August. Callachan has probably had a reprieve after the weekend but we've seen before with the likes of McDonald and Paton that these midfielders can be in the team one minute then gone the next. 

McMillan is on the transfer list and Anderson isn't going to play if Vihmann is up to the task. Those two moving on would at least be a start. 

I agree with what you are saying but if we let the youngsters go, how are we going to get a squad 22-24 and cover for every position. Duffy is full back cover and McClean midfield cover. Yes, Anderson, McMillan and Callachan should go and that will allow us to replace them. 

I also think one of Kennedy, Swanson, O'Halloran, Wotherspoon and Wright should go as we do not need 5 wide players and none can play as a striker. Everyone will have their opinion who that should be. This would give us a bigger wage to use for a player.

Despite what you've said about O'Halloran, he can play up front and Kennedy has had a spell there too. It may turn out we can lose Swanson though and agree that'd be a decent wage. Another on top of Watt, Shaughnessy, Easton, Alston, Scougall, Goss... 

In reality, Duffy won't get loaned out for the reason you said but I wonder how he's going to improve without games. I think Hendry will be kept around as well, especially if McMillan goes. He must be reluctant to go back to Ireland as there would surely be interest in him from over there. 

If he can recruit a proven midfielder in the Millar mould then McCann and McClean could both go on loan.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

4 hours ago, Templar said:

Surly he has known this since the end of last season. This cannot be a reaction to our "disastrous" performance in the League Cup. We are now less than a week to the start of the season and he is about to dip into the transfer market if he can players out. 

He has been saying this for a number of weeks, has he not? This certainly isn't a new development.