Edinburgh City

8 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Grant Tierney is next to Jim McQueen on Jim's right, sure that's Watty Boyd on the other side of Grant.

Wattie Boyd! Should have remembered him - I was at his testimonial dinner.

And a name has just come to me for the guy next to Terry Christie - it's Dave Roseburgh.

Edited by GordonD

slightly before my time but it's the beginning of the 1986/87 season. I think the line ups are: 

Front Row is Lawrie Glasson, Ian Smith, David Roseburgh, Terry Christie, John McGachie, Darren Jackson, Tam McLaren

Middle: Arthur Duncan, Ronnie Scott,Ian Stewart, Graeme Armstrong, Alan Lawrence, Paul Leetion. 

Back: David Nisbet, Watty Boyd, Grant Tierney, Jim McQueen, Tom Hendrie, Chris Robertson, Michel "The Special One" Lawsoninho

13 hours ago, GordonD said:

Wattie Boyd! Should have remembered him - I was at his testimonial dinner.

And a name has just come to me for the guy next to Terry Christie - it's Dave Roseburgh.

Now if you'd said "Jim McQeen! - I was at his testimonial dinner."; I could have shown you what you had for dinner that night.

Anyway, none of us are spring chickens anymore and we've gone ever so slightly off topic here. As one official was quoted as saying recently in the papers; " Aye! Meadowbank Thistle, great memories but let's not forget it's Edinburgh City now, that's where our priorities must lie !"

Jim McQueen Testimonial Dinner Front Cover.jpg

Jim McQueen Testimonial Dinner Menue.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Michel "The Special One" Lawsoninho

I think Chelsea have trademarked "The Special One". Not even José_Mourinho  can use it. (You'll only see it on special occasions and in daringly avant-garde publications like 'Go Tell The Spartans' and 'Mr Bismarck's Purple Pickelhaube'*

Edited by Mr Blobby
*Mr Bismarck's Purple Pickelhaube (Out soon and included as a Sunday Supplement inside future editions of that excellent Edinburgh City Fanzine - if I do say so myself - , 'Go Tell The Spartans' ) Not to be confused by Mr Bismarck's Electric Pickelhaube.

4 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Now if you'd said "Jim McQeen! - I was at his testimonial dinner."; I could have shown you what you had for dinner that night.

Oh, I was at that one as well. In his speech he spoke about his first game, and how he got booed when his name was read out - and pointed to our table!

That was because his predecessor, Big Bobby McKell, was a cult figure. We used to sing the old Susan Maughan hit "I want to be Bobby's girl". He didn't have the most sylph-like of figures, shall we say, so used to take a pelting from opposition supporters, but he was a damn good keeper and when he was replaced by this unknown we were furious! Of course Jim showed he had what it took so it was quickly a case of "Bobby who?"

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

slightly before my time but it's the beginning of the 1986/87 season. I think the line ups are: 

Front Row is Lawrie Glasson, Ian Smith, David Roseburgh, Terry Christie, John McGachie, Darren Jackson, Tam McLaren

Middle: Arthur Duncan, Ronnie Scott,Ian Stewart, Graeme Armstrong, Alan Lawrence, Paul Leetion. 

Back: David Nisbet, Watty Boyd, Grant Tierney, Jim McQueen, Tom Hendrie, Chris Robertson, Michel "The Special One" Lawsoninho

Thanks for that. I'm now wandering down Memory Lane. I could tell lots of stories about those days, but they would be off topic for here so I better not.

9 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Anyway, none of us are spring chickens anymore and we've gone ever so slightly off topic here. As one official was quoted as saying recently in the papers; " Aye! Meadowbank Thistle, great memories but let's not forget it's Edinburgh City now, that's where our priorities must lie !"

Jim McQueen Testimonial Dinner Front Cover.jpg

Jim McQueen Testimonial Dinner Menue.jpg

Grapes n bacon ffs?

what kind of witch-craftery is that? No doubt the "Golden One"* ~ Lawsoninho will put in a 45 minute show at Rosewell on Saturday, I'll ask wtf was that all about?

Grimbo

*© G O'Grady

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I should have spotted Ronnie Scott and Paul Leetion another 2 former Cowden players along with big Grant.

Meadowbank had a decent side in the late 80s / early 90s. Were hated for playing an excruciatingly boring offisde-trap brand of football, but they punched way, way above their weight. Only reconstruction prevented their promotion to the top flight in 1988 as I recall.

The first division was a much more competitive league back then and the four or five part time teams in the league were much more competitive than the part timers are able to be today. Meadowbank for several years were the best part timers in the country, only losing their grip on that title in the early 1990s...around the time that Christie finally left and Donald Park took over. Then Hunter became chairman and it was game over. I really liked that old first division of fourteen teams, a good mix of big full time teams (Falkirk /Dunfermline/Kille/Ayr/Clydebank), teams that were a mixture of full timers and part timers (Morton, Hamilton) and genuine also rans with pat timers only, like Meadowbank, Forfar, us, Brechin, and Clyde.

An aside...one never sees old Meadowbank tops for sale. The market in old football tops is quite big these days (through sites like classic football kits) but Meadowbank tops never come up. Probably because they only sold in small numbers to begin with and are held onto as cherished souvenirs by those who followed the club whilst it existed. (the only Meadowbank top I think that was ever available commercially, I think, was the Ribero / New Olympic top sponsored by PAR SCAFFOLDING from 1990-94).

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

11 hours ago, GordonD said:

Thanks for that. I'm now wandering down Memory Lane. I could tell lots of stories about those days, but they would be off topic for here so I better not.

If or when you feel up to it, why don't you wrap up your thoughts in a article for the City Fanzine? You could be one of the "Whatever Happened to the Fisul Lads" stories. The back page can hold about 500 words for a short story or 1,000 word for a double parter to run over two fanzines. The appeal is going out in Issue 7 below.

Go Tell The Spartans Back Page and Front Cover Year One Issue Seven.jpg

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

An aside...one never sees old Meadowbank tops for sale. The market in old football tops is quite big these days (through sites like classic football kits) but Meadowbank tops never come up. Probably because they only sold in small numbers to begin with and are held onto as cherished souvenirs by those who followed the club whilst it existed. (the only Meadowbank top I think that was ever available commercially, I think, was the Ribero / New Olympic top sponsored by PAR SCAFFOLDING from 1990-94).

I think I'm the one who bought that New Olympic Top on ebay in 2007. Cost about £50 then. We had a few of the others on display at the reunion.

Meadowbank Reunion shirts white.jpg

Meadowbank Reunion shirts.jpg

Meadowbank Reunion shirt aea.jpg

Meadowbank Reunion Marionville Six.jpg

Meadowbank Reunion signed shirt.jpg

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Meadowbank had a decent side in the late 80s / early 90s. Were hated for playing an excruciatingly boring offisde-trap brand of football, but they punched way, way above their weight. Only reconstruction prevented their promotion to the top flight in 1988 as I recall.

The first division was a much more competitive league back then and the four or five part time teams in the league were much more competitive than the part timers are able to be today. Meadowbank for several years were the best part timers in the country, only losing their grip on that title in the early 1990s...around the time that Christie finally left and Donald Park took over. Then Hunter became chairman and it was game over. I really liked that old first division of fourteen teams, a good mix of big full time teams (Falkirk /Dunfermline/Kille/Ayr/Clydebank), teams that were a mixture of full timers and part timers (Morton, Hamilton) and genuine also rans with pat timers only, like Meadowbank, Forfar, us, Brechin, and Clyde.

Strips were available from local sports shop Colin Campbell Sports (Campbell played for Thistle)  It's a bit like looking for a Montrose strip outlet! Some old strips were also gifted to supporters football teams.

I've got an old strip c.1989 but I wouldn't sell it- don't want the precious relics falling into the wrong hands...

There used to be an old Sports Conscious strip on display in the People's Story Museum in the High Street next to Hibs and Hearts strips- don't know if they're still there. 

I also have a couple of old City strips but too fat/old to wear them to matches :lol:

The first Sports Conscious strip (1982/83) was on sale at their shop in Tollcross - cheap but not great quality, at least the replicas; more like a long sleeved cotton t-shirt. Mine fell to pieces decades ago and got thrown out.

The Admiral jerseys were never on sale but were occssionally loaned to the supporters' football teams. They became notorious for nipple burn if you didn't wear a t-shirt under them.

City replica jerseys are available at home matches or from the Football Nation shop and website [emoji5]

I think there once was a Thistle player called Joe Forte. He wasn't half the player Joe Ninety was but he's had a sports shop in Haddington for years. Joe would be the man to ask about vintage football strips. He played in season 79-80 in midfield, turned out 14 times for Thistle and scored one goal. Joe was sourced from Berwick Rangers and transferred to Ormiston Primrose. There's a full list of former Thistle players on the web created by Neil Brown. Amazing dedication to duty. Someone should start a page like that for Edinburgh City so that the statisticians on here can have a quick reference guide and lay the foundations for future generations of senior citizens like ourselves.

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/livingston/livingston.html

Good luck to all the Edinburgh City players who are picked for the team to play Elgin City. Thursday is their outdoor training day at the new Oriam centre at Heriot Watt University, Riccarton which looks to be paying dividends now with some great performances on the pitch in recent weeks, both home and away. I'm sure they'll do us all proud. No pressure, but it would be nice to finally get that first win on Saturday beating Meadowbank Thistle's 14 games without a win in their inaugural season in 1974. *With no Hearts game on because of the Internationals, I'm hoping for sunny weather and a big crowd at Meadowbank to cheer the boys home. Here' s the final pages 8 & 5 of the City Fanzine for this week's game. C'mon the City!!!

( PS. I got a request from Germany this week for the printed version of the Fanzine to do an exchange with theirs. It's called "All to Nah", is half the size of a normal fanzine and is called a perzine over there.)

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 8 and 5 Year One Issue Six Resized for Pie and Bovril.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
*Didn't realise Hibs were playing St Mirren in the Irn Bru Cup.

17 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

I think I'm the one who bought that New Olympic Top on ebay in 2007. Cost about £50 then. We had a few of the others on display at the reunion.

Meadowbank Reunion shirts white.jpg

Meadowbank Reunion shirts.jpg

Meadowbank Reunion shirt aea.jpg

Meadowbank Reunion Marionville Six.jpg

Meadowbank Reunion signed shirt.jpg

A young Tam the Bam in one of the pics:lol: I can remember the Sports Conscious on being on sale funny enough in Sports Conscious think it was about 88 or so.