Edinburgh City

Edinburgh Waverley.

There basically isn't any suburban rail... get off there then take a bus - or walk - past Register House, down Leith Street or Regent Road and along London Road.

Same way you'd go to Hibs, except you head east (right in this photo) instead of north (straight on in this photo) when you reach the big crossroads here:

0_buildings_-_london_road_parish_church_046927_1024.jpg

Cheers mate

8 hours ago, bullyweehutch said:

Probably heading through on the train in a couple weeks (or whenever our game is there) for my first visit to medowbank (god knows how many for my old Man) so where's the best place to get the train to when going to medowbank?

It'll be a good half hour plus walk from Waverley. 

Plenty buses head that way from Princes Street area.

It costs £1.60 single whether one stop or 100 stops and the bus stops are directly opposite the stadium. 

Edited by newcastle broon

4 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

It costs £1.60 single whether one stop or 100 stops and the bus stops are directly opposite the stadium. 

walk? you usually staggered to the Stadium Newky!! :lol: ;)

4 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Do  it in half an hour easy, think its slightly quicker going down Regent Road, not so much folk clogging up the pavements. The buses are however good as you say if you can't be arsed.

Edited by cowdenbeath

Onwards and Upwards as the saying goes. With 4 Home games on the trot for Edinburgh City, the pressure to gain that first elusive win continues to gain momentum and Elgin are up next.

"No one wants to be the first team to lose to City," writes the Citizen matchday programme. "and there may be a reluctance to take chances and give us an opportunity."

Elgin were riding high not so long ago.They beat City 3-0 at home in the 2nd game of the League 2 campaign. If it wasn't for Annan travelling all the way up there on Saturday and giving them a jolly good 2-0 thrashing, I'd say jet lag could come in to play next Saturday in our favour but Annan's proved that assumption wrong. (Edinburgh is 100 miles closer as the crow flies)

Anyway, I'm still going for an historical  shock Home win for Edinburgh City. Here's the front page of next Saturday's Fanzine.

Edited by Mr Blobby
Having to cull images to bump up my Megabytes allocation again otherwise I can't post new pictures.

Pages 4  and 9 of the City Fanzine.  (Pages 5, 6, 7, & 8 are to follow in midweek in case there is any more news) 

Edited by Mr Blobby
Having to cull images to bump up my Megabytes allocation again otherwise I can't post new pictures.

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

how dare you take photos of official notices- yer banned!! 

HaHaHa. There's a sanity clause! "The taking of photographs or filming by hook or by crook is permitted - outside the ground." ( By Order of The Edinburgh Settee Armchair Supporters Club Committee (Deantown Branch). It's official.

Edinburgh Settee Supporters Club Rob Auton Presiding Officer2.png

Edited by Mr Blobby

14 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Pages 2 and 11 of the City Fanzine

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 2 and 11 Year One Issue Six.png

Enjoyed the Electric Pickelhaube review and looking forward to the coverage of Cheers and AWOL. However there was a previous fanzine that predated Cheers - the Meadowbank Review, which produced five or six issues in 1977 before the very sudden death of its editor Jim Leitch aged just 29 or so, He was the best mate of Brian the Bus and some say that Brian has never recovered from it. I had a complete set of them but lent them to a mate to photocopy many years ago and never got them back.

Come to think of it, you probably know him - Alick Milne, who at one time was on the City board (and may well still be). If you see him, ask him if he's still got them...

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Enjoyed the Electric Pickelhaube review and looking forward to the coverage of Cheers and AWOL. However there was a previous fanzine that predated Cheers - the Meadowbank Review, which produced five or six issues in 1977 before the very sudden death of its editor Jim Leitch aged just 29 or so, He was the best mate of Brian the Bus and some say that Brian has never recovered from it. I had a complete set of them but lent them to a mate to photocopy many years ago and never got them back.

Come to think of it, you probably know him - Alick Milne, who at one time was on the City board (and may well still be). If you see him, ask him if he's still got them...

I had heard tales of the Meadowbank Review but I've never seen any copies. Must be as rare as hen's teeth or Tam the tight buying a round..

Alick Milne, now there's a name I've not heard in a long time...

I believe he now calls himself Alickzandra and is a dancer with a Lady Boys of Bangkok tribute band*

*note: this might be a lie

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I had heard tales of the Meadowbank Review but I've never seen any copies. Must be as rare as hen's teeth or Tam the tight buying a round..

Alick Milne, now there's a name I've not heard in a long time...

I believe he now calls himself Alickzandra and is a dancer with a Lady Boys of Bangkok tribute band*

*note: this might be a lie

He hasn't been seen much since his employment as a Father Ted tribute act dried up following the death of Dermot Morgan.

20 hours ago, GordonD said:

1. Cheers G! Yes, I've heard about The Meadowbank Review. It's on my list and the ubiquitous Mr Baxter actually wrote a brief piece about it in the 2007 Meadowbank Reunion Programme. Thanks for reminding me. I'm checking thru it now.

2. The name Alick Milne rings a bell, I'll see what I can do. (unusual spelling though)

img036.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

Here's pages 6 & 7 of the City Fanzine for Saturday v Elgin City. Pages 8 & 5 to follow on Wednesday. (Still checking facts and figures)

Does anyone know if Elgin City have ever played at Meadowbank Stadium before? Either against Meadowbank Thistle or Edinburgh City in the cups or friendlies?

All I could find so far is a loose connection at City Park. " Ferranti Thistle were granted SFA membership in 1972. They took full advantage of their new status, navigating through the South Qualifying competition at the first attempt before defeating non-league Borders outfit Duns by three goals to one in the first round proper of the Scottish Cup in front of 1,000 fans at City Park. The attendance would be doubled in the next round as they took on Elgin City, but the Highland outfit eventually triumphed 2-1 after a 2-2 draw in Edinburgh."

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 6 and 7 Year One Issue Six Resized for Pie and Bovril.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

Lot of familiar faces in that team photo! Putting names to them nearly thirty years on is a bit trickier though! There's Fireman Jim McQueen in the middle of the back row. Middle row, there's Arthur-itis Duncan, then further along Louis Armstrong and Nipper Laurence. In the front, next to Terry, there's John McGachie and Sindy Jackson. I could have an inspired guess at many of the others but don't want to humiliate myself (again) by getting it wrong. In particular the name of guy on the other side of Terry Christie is on the tip of my tongue. If I'm right he stepped up from junior football relatively late in his career.

It's like looking at an old school class photo and realising that you don't remember who most of the kids were!

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

Lot of familiar faces in that team photo! Putting names to them nearly thirty years on is a bit trickier though! There's Fireman Jim McQueen in the middle of the back row. Middle row, there's Arthur-itis Duncan, then further along Louis Armstrong and Nipper Laurence. In the front, next to Terry, there's John McGachie and Sindy Jackson. I could have an inspired guess at many of the others but don't want to humiliate myself (again) by getting it wrong. In particular the name of guy on the other side of Terry Christie is on the tip of my tongue. If I'm right he stepped up from junior football relatively late in his career.

It's like looking at an old school class photo and realising that you don't remember who most of the kids were!

Grant Tierney is next to Jim McQueen on Jim's right, sure that's Watty Boyd on the other side of Grant.