Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Technically he's right, AFC and Celtic were charged separately to the players to investigate implementation of Covid protocols and charged for whatever the findings were there. The players punishment was a different charge altogether (I think one was SFA and one was SPFL too).

You could probably argue that the punishment of the clubs was in reality a cosmetic thing to appease the government at a time when we were under intense scrutiny. Unofficially/indirectly the clubs were punished as a result of the players actions though, yes.

It wasn't "unofficially or indirectly" though,  as no fault was ever attributed to Aberdeen or Celtic. Which is the definition of strict liability. 

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It wasn't "unofficially or indirectly" though,  as no fault was ever attributed to Aberdeen or Celtic. Which is the definition of strict liability. 

We were given a slap on the wrist in recognition that we hadn't really done anything wrong. As I said it was more cosmetic to appease the government. 

I think that the players have been dealt with fairly leniently, to be honest.  If the bans had been longer I don't think they could have complained.

What if it was 2 first team fixtures that were banned for 7 games? Say Kent and Hagi, I’m not sure fans think it was lenient then.

I do think 7 games is a bit much, 3/4 would have acceptable.

1 minute ago, steelmen said:

What if it was 2 first team fixtures that were banned for 7 games? Say Kent and Hagi, I’m not sure fans think it was lenient then.

I do think 7 games is a bit much, 3/4 would have acceptable.

This is serious, players are role models and should be setting an example.  If it was Kent and Hagi or Alfredo then I'd want them to be similarly banned.

No excuses can be made for their selfish actions.

I'd think the same thing.
This is serious, players are role models and should be setting an example.  If it was Kent and Hagi or Alfredo then I'd want them to be similarly banned.
No excuses can be made for their selfish actions.

[emoji849]

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/benfica/detalhe/weigl-na-mira-do-valencia?ref=Mercado_DestaquesPrincipais

"Valencia's interest in Weigl, 25, is not new. The current 11th ranked league in the neighboring country has already tried to sign him in the last transfer window. The ‘28’ of the eagles is back on the agenda, especially since Jack Wilshere, the other option, will be determined to head to Rangers."

30 minutes ago, G51 said:

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/benfica/detalhe/weigl-na-mira-do-valencia?ref=Mercado_DestaquesPrincipais

"Valencia's interest in Weigl, 25, is not new. The current 11th ranked league in the neighboring country has already tried to sign him in the last transfer window. The ‘28’ of the eagles is back on the agenda, especially since Jack Wilshere, the other option, will be determined to head to Rangers."

Maybe they seen the same grainy pictures that we did of a guy being shown around Ibrox haha

Accounts are out, surprised that our green n grey friends haven't been posting yet..
Big words.. Wait for Phil to ask the rugby boy and then post it.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

UEFA have relaxed FFP rules so that 2020 accounts aren't covered by it.

Therefore, I have absolutely zero concerns

That should stop our friends from the eastend emailing UEFA about us pure cheating. 

£16m loss though, how long can the board keep covering these losses?

Probably should have accepted that Lille offer for Alfie. 

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

Exactly my thinking. Celtic have used the market well to cover any shortfalls and we now need to do the same.

They sold Tierney for £25m and broke even. If we’d have sold Alfie then we’d have done the same.

Just now, AJF said:

Those accounts are eye watering to say the least.

My only comfort is the guarantee that any shortfall will be met by Park and Bennett and the fact that we now have a squad that has a relatively high market value.

Best empty my ISA then.

Just now, bennett said:

That should stop our friends from the eastend emailing UEFA about us pure cheating. 

£16m loss though, how long can the board keep covering these losses?

The board are responsible for those losses though. If they didn't want to cover them, we wouldn't be accelerating our investments on the squad and doing things like rebuilding Edminston House etc.

Ultimately our wages are 50% of our turnover. It's very sustainable.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

The board are responsible for those losses though. If they didn't want to cover them, we wouldn't be accelerating our investments on the squad and doing things like rebuilding Edminston House etc.

Ultimately our wages are 50% of our turnover. It's very sustainable.

Hopefully you're right, just a horrible thought that we'd spent money this season on the belief that we'd get other offers for Alfredo. 

We'll probably need to sell some players in the next few windows, especially with reduced income due to no large Europa crowds at Ibrox. 

Just now, bennett said:

Hopefully you're right, just a horrible thought that we'd spent money this season on the belief that we'd get other offers for Alfredo. 

We'll probably need to sell some players in the next few windows, especially with reduced income due to no large Europa crowds at Ibrox. 

We bought Roofe and Itten to replace him. It's made good sense from the football side because Itten gets a chance to settle into things. And since this year doesn't count the same for FFP it makes sense to take the financial loss now.

Ultimately, as long as the board are willing to fund it, it's sustainable. And the fact they're driving on with things and have committed to covering this season already tells a story of how willing they are to continue. When they're done sticking money in, they'll tell us in advance and we'll sell some players to balance the books. It'll be fine. But it probably does mean Morelos is closer to the end than the start of his Rangers career.