Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

That's very impressive and it's a bit of a shame that our next three matches are in the cup.  I'd much prefer we had league fixtures.

December's jam-packed with six league and 2 EL games.  In the Premiership we have:

Sunday 6th December

Ross County 12:00 Rangers

Sunday 13th December

Dundee United 12:00 Rangers

Saturday 19th December

Rangers 15:00 Motherwell

Wednesday 23rd December

St Johnstone 19:45 Rangers

Saturday 26th December

Rangers 12:30 Hibernian

Wednesday 30th December

St Mirren 19:45 Rangers

Lots of judicious squad management needed to get through that lot with a healthy points tally and if we can get to the OF game 14 points ahead I'd be surprised and delighted.

I'm very hopeful that we'll be qualified in the EL so we can take our foot off the gas a wee bit in the Standard game.

Benfica game on Thursday could be enormous in that regard. A Rangers/Standard Liege double means we're through no matter what, and we'd only need one of our last two to top the group.

15 minutes ago, G51 said:

I'm very hopeful that we'll be qualified in the EL so we can take our foot off the gas a wee bit in the Standard game.

Benfica game on Thursday could be enormous in that regard. A Rangers/Standard Liege double means we're through no matter what, and we'd only need one of our last two to top the group.

A win on Thursday would be immense but I'm obviously not predicting it.  As of tonight I'd be happy with a draw.

Looking at yesterday's starting 11 plus the 9 on the bench we're as close to a 20 man squad as it's possible to be at this level.  The only players we don't have cover for of near the same level/quality are Tavernier and Goldson.  Mind you, Roofe is coming close to being in that category.  He was excellent and just keeps improving.

56 minutes ago, G51 said:

Benfica are still a top team and it will be a difficult game. They are missing a number of players though and their fans don't seem too confident. 

If we win that then anything other than a Lech win in the other game means we are through.

8 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Benfica are still a top team and it will be a difficult game. They are missing a number of players though and their fans don't seem too confident. 

If we win that then anything other than a Lech win in the other game means we are through.

They are still very good, but no Darwin Nunez gives me confidence.

If we can body Porto with last years team, we can body Benfica with this years.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Is the knockout stage not seeded?

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Is the knockout stage not seeded?

Aye but we'd be 3 clear of Benfica and we'd have the head-to-head tiebreaker over them too (assuming a win over Benfica and we match their result in matchday 5, so far from a guarantee), so we'd be guaranteed top no matter what.

There would still be co-efficient points to play for I suppose.

11 minutes ago, G51 said:

Aye but we'd be 3 clear of Benfica and we'd have the head-to-head tiebreaker over them too (assuming a win over Benfica and we match their result in matchday 5, so far from a guarantee), so we'd be guaranteed top no matter what.

There would still be co-efficient points to play for I suppose.

Changed days assuming a win against benfica. Would have needed your head checked a year ago.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Changed days assuming a win against benfica. Would have needed your head checked a year ago.

I think I still might tbh.

But since they're missing their best striker and we beat Porto at home last year, there are reasons for optimism. Bookies are pricing us at 23/20, so about a 46/47% chance of winning the game.

Speaking of big European nights I was alerted to this video by one of the posters on here.  I won't mention him by name to preserve @ewan14's anonymity but, for those of us of a certain age, it's a fascinating watch.

This was a CWC game played in Nov 1973 and we had gone to Prussia and got pumped 3-0 (against the team who destroyed us 11-0 on aggregated in the same competition in 1960) so the hopes of qualifying were low.  From memory we played much more open football than usual and were undone by a couple of defensive lapses which was a bit of a heart-breaker for me.

The video is a montage of John Greig's contribution to the match and, 47 years on, he was absolutely immense.  The vid shows him as both a talented footballer as well as someone who could be a bit salty at times.  An enjoyable 11 minutes:

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The good thing about this video is that it lasts longer than 15 seconds so we know our Green and Grey pals won't watch it.

For those of us with a decent attention span it's a good watch with the excellent Kieran Maguire:

How can we be obsessed if we cant watch a video of Sevco for more than 15 seconds? I suggest all you orcs perhaps arrange a set pish to spout that doesn’t contradict each other.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I turned it off as soon as I saw a fat chinless boomer in a Holland shirt.

Hateful gimps have absolutely nothing to tell me.

The guy is actually very decent on the price of football podcast. He comes up with all sort of irregularities etc in finance in football, they predicted the Wigan debacle well ahead of any main stream papers.

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I turned it off as soon as I saw a fat chinless boomer in a Holland shirt.

Hateful gimps have absolutely nothing to tell me.

What is hateful about him wearing a Holland shirt? 😄

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

If Harry Maguire is worth £80 million then why not? As much as he definitely isn't worth £50m it's about time people like McLeish came out and said these things rather than the usual "oh but he plays in a farmers league" pish you get from the likes of Charlie Nicholas. The English media have done it for years, and it's lead to guys like Harry Maguire costing £80m which is utter nonsense. As good as van Dijk was up here you'd have laughed if someone came out in the papers and said he was worth £75m as well. A couple of years after selling him for £12m Liverpool pay that £75m.

It's about time we stopped getting shafted up here so I'm all for comments like that.

3 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

If Harry Maguire is worth £80 million then why not? As much as he definitely isn't worth £50m it's about time people like McLeish came out and said these things rather than the usual "oh but he plays in a farmers league" pish you get from the likes of Charlie Nicholas. The English media have done it for years, and it's lead to guys like Harry Maguire costing £80m which is utter nonsense. As good as van Dijk was up here you'd have laughed if someone came out in the papers and said he was worth £75m as well. A couple of years after selling him for £12m Liverpool pay that £75m.

It's about time we stopped getting shafted up here so I'm all for comments like that.

Harry Maguire went for £80m because Leicester had no need to sell and could afford to reject anything up to that. Add to that Man United were absolutely desperate. 

Folk up here need to stop getting so sensitive. Transfer fees are not entirely dictated by the ability of a player. Players here are undervalued but much of that is to do with the financial weakness of the selling club.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Harry Maguire went for £80m because Leicester had no need to sell and could afford to reject anything up to that. Add to that Man United were absolutely desperate. 

Folk up here need to stop getting so sensitive. Transfer fees are not entirely dictated by the ability of a player. Players here are undervalued but much of that is to do with the financial weakness of the selling club.

I didn't say they weren't, but what's wrong with actually talking up players who play up here for a change rather than constantly underselling them? We've seen time and time again decent players up here go down and rip it up down there.

21 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I didn't say they weren't, but what's wrong with actually talking up players who play up here for a change rather than constantly underselling them? We've seen time and time again decent players up here go down and rip it up down there.

I mean, there's talking up players and then theres saying something so ridiculous it makes everyone up here look like a joke figure.

Your man's claiming Goldson is worth just £7m than Laporte.

37 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

It's all press nonsense though isn't it. 

If we want to grow transfer fees here then you need to improve the overall economic condition of the game and individually at club level.

An EPL team aren't going to offer £50m because Alex Mcleish is talking shite in the Daily Record. The fee goes up when a team comes with a £10m offer and they're in a position to say no, and don't return to the negotiating table until you're serious.