Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

40 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yes and yes. I was sympathetic to him as he was hung out to dry after he got us into the CL and not a penny of it was spent on the squad.

He wasn't given the tools or time to do the job. GVB is a fine manager. Rangers want a guy to come in and surpass Celtic with a fraction of what Celtic have available to them. It's nonsensical.

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

He wasn't given the tools or time to do the job. GVB is a fine manager. Rangers want a guy to come in and surpass Celtic with a fraction of what Celtic have available to them. It's nonsensical.

I already alluded to the fact that he was let down by the board. That doesn’t excuse the fact that we were performing poorly, though.

You seem to have this belief that 2nd position is the only barometer of how a Rangers manager is doing. No matter how good or bad the team are performing relative to how we have done.

As I said before, Gio was brilliant in European competition (our CL campaign aside) but you cannot seriously tell me that a 11/12 point swing in Celtic’s favour, while squandering a 6 point lead is him doing a fine job.

He survived that mainly because we won the Scottish cup and got to the EL final, but we were on course to regress domestically even further the second season. Europe is great, but the league is the priority and always will be.

58 minutes ago, AJF said:

I already alluded to the fact that he was let down by the board. That doesn’t excuse the fact that we were performing poorly, though.

You seem to have this belief that 2nd position is the only barometer of how a Rangers manager is doing. No matter how good or bad the team are performing relative to how we have done.

As I said before, Gio was brilliant in European competition (our CL campaign aside) but you cannot seriously tell me that a 11/12 point swing in Celtic’s favour, while squandering a 6 point lead is him doing a fine job.

He survived that mainly because we won the Scottish cup and got to the EL final, but we were on course to regress domestically even further the second season. Europe is great, but the league is the priority and always will be.

I just think that the Rangers fans and therefore boards minimum is the same as Rangers maximum in terms of capabilities. It can be achieved, but needs everything to be perfect or Celtic to dip. 

The manager is irrelevant in Rangers case because the existing fundamentals in terms of business and finances between Celtic and Rangers make it so and they haven't changed as far as I'm aware.

If Rangers fans accepted their place as the 2nd best team in Scotland with aspirations to be competitive against Celtic that's fine, but Rangers fans and therefore the board expect to win the League and anything else is failure. It makes no sense to me.

Edited by 2426255

Good result for Rangers, good start for Clement - but also a good result for Celtic so it's as you were with another game down. Does anyone know roughly what the bookies odds were at the start of the season to win the league for Rangers? That would be interesting. I can't imagine they'd give Celtic only a 50:50 chance - but if they did that would be a good bet.

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Good result for Rangers, good start for Clement - but also a good result for Celtic so it's as you were with another game down. Does anyone know roughly what the bookies odds were at the start of the season to win the league for Rangers? That would be interesting. I can't imagine they'd give Celtic only a 50:50 chance - but if they did that would be a good bet.

Won’t have been 50/50. Celtic more than likely odds on and Rangers slightly odds against.

On 23/10/2023 at 21:02, Sortmeout said:

Won’t have been 50/50. Celtic more than likely odds on and Rangers slightly odds against.

Pre-season, Celtic were 8/13.

Took them as part of a six team acca to win respective leagues.

Man City.  
Leicester. 
Bolton   
Stockport. 
Celtic. 
Dundee Utd.

£10 pays £11,637 😆

15 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

I mean, you could go back to the Next Rangers Manager thread after Gio left and Beale got appointed and I'm sure you'd find the Rangers fans of P&B airing the concerns regarding his lack of experience. I just don't have the energy to.

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

I mean, you could go back to the Next Rangers Manager thread after Gio left and Beale got appointed and I'm sure you'd find the Rangers fans of P&B airing the concerns regarding his lack of experience. I just don't have the energy to.

So that thread equates to most rangers fans?

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

So that thread equates to most rangers fans?

I'd say it was reflective of the wider opinion.

If you really think that most Rangers fans had no concerns about Beale's lack of experience after he'd been a manager for a whopping 5 months before joining us then crack on, I suppose.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I did, and you are, literally, the only rangers fan on that thread that gives an opinion Beales appointment. So my point stands, your comment that ‘Most Rangers fans expressed concerns about his lack of managerial experience’ is bullshit. 

11 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I did, and you are, literally, the only rangers fan on that thread that gives an opinion Beales appointment. So my point stands, your comment that ‘Most Rangers fans expressed concerns about his lack of managerial experience’ is bullshit. 

And what were my opinions that I expressed? I am sure they would've included concerns about his lack of experience?

This was an opinion shared by most Rangers fans I spoke to at the time regarding his appointment. Even a quick twitter search of "Beale lack of experience" and you can find a plethora of tweets with the same opinion.

I know there is a desperation to play the "haha Rangers fans all thought Beale would be brilliant but look at them now" card, but it's really not the reality. Every one of them would've been optimistic and hopeful that he'd have the potential to do well, but that isn't mutually exclusive from having concerns about his lack of experience prior to joining us.

19 minutes ago, AJF said:

And what were my opinions that I expressed? I am sure they would've included concerns about his lack of experience?

This was an opinion shared by most Rangers fans I spoke to at the time regarding his appointment. Even a quick twitter search of "Beale lack of experience" and you can find a plethora of tweets with the same opinion.

I know there is a desperation to play the "haha Rangers fans all thought Beale would be brilliant but look at them now" card, but it's really not the reality. Every one of them would've been optimistic and hopeful that he'd have the potential to do well, but that isn't mutually exclusive from having concerns about his lack of experience prior to joining us.

So it’s went from ‘most rangers fans’ to ‘most rangers fans on a particular thread’ to ‘most rangers fans I spoke to’. 

He was lorded as the messiah, the brains behind Gerrard, Gerrard 2.0. 

Edited by Drew Brees

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

So it’s went from ‘most rangers fans’ to ‘most rangers fans on a particular thread’ to ‘most rangers fans I spoke to’. What a fukin gimp. 

He was lorded as the messiah, the brains behind Gerrard, Gerrard 2.0. 

Personal insults because I have a differing opinion. Charming.

Just now, AJF said:

Personal insults because I have a differing opinion. Charming.

Oh right, did I give you a wee ‘out’ there from making a tit of yourself?? I’ll retract it and we can carry on. Any advances on ‘most rangers fans I spoke to’?