Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

On 15/10/2023 at 13:55, AJF said:

Probably less of a worry for us compared to fans of other clubs seeing as the potential religion of our new signings/managers is brought up more by them than us 😅

Then a fair wedge of your fan base rejoice in the killing of  some of the new signings/managers religion via a cheery sing song. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Having read his comments I don’t think Cantwell has taken issue with Sutton criticising Rangers. It seems as though he is suggesting Sutton has been a bit two-faced personally after speaking fondly of and praising Cantwell during interviews they had together while he was at Norwich to then doing a 180 since he joined us.

Sutton and Cantwell are a pair of cocks.

The end.

I think the Clement appointment has disaster written all over it for Rangers. I like Clement from what I saw of him when him and Jack Hendry were at Brugge, but I think it'll be tough for him in the goldfish bowl - probably more so at the buns as they're a bit more backward and there is always a question around whether the fans or players will take to him and his ideas.

His tactical flexibility will be taken as him tinkering by the bears who will be foaming at the mouth for him to play his best XI and things of that nature. Should be good, looking forward to it all unravelling.

image.png.4375180dcb6f371965eba9b1c7392a45.png

Edited by 2426255

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think the Clement appointment has disaster written all over it for Rangers. I like Clement from what I saw of him when him and Jack Hendry were at Brugge, but I think it'll be tough for him in the goldfish bowl - probably more so at the buns as they're a bit more backward and there is always a question around whether the fans or players will take to him and his ideas.

His tactical flexibility will be taken as him tinkering by the bears who will be foaming at the mouth for him to play his best XI and things of that nature. Should be good, looking forward to it all unravelling.

image.png.4375180dcb6f371965eba9b1c7392a45.png

Very odd post.

The fans will take to his ideas and tinkering if it sees us improve. If we don’t improve then he will rightly be held accountable. The same would apply at any other fan base.

Even if results aren’t instant, if performances are improving then he will be given time until such a point we are no longer improving.

I’d also imagine the majority will be willing to allow him a couple of transfer windows to put his own mark on the side.

Edited by AJF

38 minutes ago, AJF said:

Very odd post.

The fans will take to his ideas and tinkering if it sees us improve. If we don’t improve then he will rightly be held accountable. The same would apply at any other fan base.

Even if results aren’t instant, if performances are improving then he will be given time until such a point we are no longer improving.

I’d also imagine the majority will be willing to allow him a couple of transfer windows to put his own mark on the side.

Pretty much word for word what you said last year about Beale

42 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Pretty much word for word what you said last year about Beale

Which is exactly what happened, is it not?

Beale came in last season and we had an improvement in results in comparison to Gio. The improvement in actual performances wasn’t as high as expected (and I said at the time it would come back to bite us eventually) but we were scoring more goals and winning more games under Beale so the fans were content to an extent.

He was given 2 transfer windows to put his own mark on the side.

However he was eventually held accountable and emptied when we were no longer improving under him and the results suffered as a result (as I predicted they would).

So, I am not really sure what your point is? Beale was held to account by the same standards that I stated Clement will be held to.

Edited by AJF

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Beale came in last season and we had an improvement in results in comparison to Gio. The improvement in actual performances wasn’t as high as expected (and I said at the time it would come back to bite us eventually) but we were scoring more goals and winning more games under Beale so the fans were content to an extent.

However he was eventually held accountable and emptied when we were no longer improving under him and the results suffered as a result (as I predicted they would).

So, I am not really sure what your point is? Beale was held to account by the same standards that I stated Clement will be held to.

My point is probably about the standard you refer to. You say you were no longer improving by that I assume you mean getting closer to Celtic?

Yet you make continual reference to the financial gap between our 2 clubs and use this as the reason why you aren’t more successful, which makes it plainly obvious that until you close the financial gap then you aren’t going to improve enough to close the gap to Celtic in terms of how successful we have been domestically, which means every manager coming in is on a course to fail from day 1 as your operating model is quite simply fubar.

2 transfers windows with that context is never going to be enough not whilst you continually let players go for free and pay top dollar for shite. 

Don’t get me wrong we pay some top dollar for some dross too but every year we are selling players for fees in excess of 15-25 million as we sell at the right time irrespective of the how popular the player is, for example Jota and Dembele. Rangers don’t bar the odd 1 or 2. 

Edited by Jinky67

11 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

My point is probably about the standard you refer to. You say you were no longer improving by that I assume you mean getting closer to Celtic?

Yet you make continual reference to the financial gap between our 2 clubs and use this as the reason why you aren’t more successful, which makes it plainly obvious that until you close the financial gap then you aren’t going to improve enough to close the gap to Celtic in terms of how successful we have been domestically, which means every manager coming in is on a course to fail from day 1 as your operating model is quite simply fubar.

2 transfers windows with that context is never going to be enough not whilst you continually let players go for free and pay top dollar for shite. 

Don’t get me wrong we pay some top dollar for some dross too but every year we are selling players for fees in excess of 15-25 million as we sell at the right time irrespective of the how popular the player is, for example Jota and Dembele. Rangers don’t bar the odd 1 or 2. 

Agreed. It doesn't matter who the Rangers manager is. They will struggle to meet the buns expectations unless Celtic open the door for them and so will be fun to see unravel.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Don’t get me wrong we pay some top dollar for some dross too but every year we are selling players for fees in excess of 15-25 million every year as we sell at the right time, Rangers don’t bar the odd 1 or 2. 

I’m still not sure what your original point was though. You said I said the same thing about Beale, I don’t really know what you mean. Everything I said about how Clement would be judged was pretty much exactly how Beale got judged.

The financial advantage Celtic hold over us is always going to be difficult to bridge, but you can also measure progress on results against other teams and performances.

Beale when he came in had us picking up a lot of points. He was sacked with the highest top flight win percentage of any manager we’ve ever had, but his summer transfer window was a shocker which has lead to a very poor start in the league. There was a clear regression and emphasises my point about managers being given time until it is evident we are no longer improving.

We have clearly got a way to go in terms of bringing in fees for players, but it’s not as if we brought in a pittance this summer. It was still around £13m which Beale was given in full to reinvest plus a little extra.

I sincerely doubt you believe from a Rangers point of view that we were wrong or too early to get rid of Beale, so again, I’m just not sure what your original response was trying to say.

Edited by AJF

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m still not sure what your original point was though. You said I said the same thing about Beale, I don’t really know what you mean. Everything I said about how Clement would be judged was pretty much exactly how Beale got judged.

The financial advantage Celtic hold over us is always going to be difficult to bridge, but you can also measure progress on results against other teams and performances.

Beale when he came in had us picking up a lot of points. He was sacked with the highest top flight win percentage of any manager we’ve ever had, but his summer transfer window was a shocker which has lead to a very poor start in the league. There was a clear regression and emphasises my poking about managers being given time until it is evident we are no longer improving.

We have clearly got a way to go in terms of bringing in fees for players, but it’s not as if we brought in a pittance this summer. It was still around £13m which Beale was given in full to reinvest plus a little extra.

I sincerely doubt you believe from a Rangers point of view that we were wrong or too early to get rid of Beale, so again, I’m just not sure what your original response was trying to say.

It's irrelevant who the manager of Rangers is. The important thing in this conversation is the expectations of the Rangers fanbase. No manager will reach them and as such it will always unravel unless Celtic let them in. That is your key learning point for today: Know your place.

Edited by 2426255

25 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Agreed. It doesn't matter who the Rangers manager is. They will struggle to meet the Bears expectations unless Celtic open the door for them and so will be fun to see unravel.

Unless of course your name is Steven Gerrard. The fact that he was given more time than Van Bronckhurst and Beale combined and only won one trophy, and still gets an easier ride from sections of the Rangers support than both of the aformentioned, amazes me. 

Edited by mozam76

40 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Unless of course your name is Steven Gerrard. The fact that he was given more time than Van Bronckhurst and Beale combined and only won one trophy, and still gets an easier ride than both of the aformentioned, amazes me. 

He was given more time because he made improvements season on season (which is my whole point here) which culminated in an unbeaten title win.

Gerrard also inherited a Rangers side in a far worse position than the aforementioned managers.

When he took over Rangers had just finished 3rd and were knocked out of Europe the previous season by Luxembourg’s 4th best side.

Gio inherited a Rangers side that had won the title the season before and we were 6 points clear (I think, possibly 7) of Celtic at the time of his appointment.

And while Beale took over a side that had seen a vast regression from our Europa League final appearance, after his initial improvement last season he still ultimately left with us no further forward than the side he inherited. His failure to qualify for the CL is also a backwards step from the season before under Gio.

So it’s about context. Gerrard got an easier ride because we progressed year on year under him. We did not under Gio or Beale.

Edited by AJF

A realistic Rangers fan would be one who says we expect to get 2nd place domestically, compete in the cup competitions and anything beyond that at the moment is a bonus while looking to build your club back up sustainably to a position where it can compete with Celtic. Under that criteria both Beale and GVB would have been doing fine.

Rangers fans don't know their place in the pecking order and as such will be in a state of perpetual disappointment and frustration.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, AJF said:

The point is that you will continue to say the same thing every year as you go from manager to manager as you hit a glass ceiling you can’t break through due to the poor running of the football club.