Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

Posted (edited)

What is the Rangers strategy around closing the gap on Celtic? I'm not seeing it.

If i were a Rangers fan then thats what i would want to know.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

What is the Rangers strategy around closing the gap on Celtic? I'm not seeing it.

But you’re not. So why would you trouble yourself? 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ahemps said:

In the early days of Europe lots of teams got to the final with mostly all domestic players, when there was a non domestic player you'll find that it was 1 or 2 players who were not from that nation until around the mid 70's and then the trend changes.

Although Steau Bucharest won it in 86 with a team full of Romanians and when they lost the final in 1990 it was still 11 Romanians.

Red Star in 1991 only had 1 non Yugoslav player.

The great Benfica team of the 60's that won it back to back were all Portuguese.

The great Ajax team that won 3 in a row only had 1 non Dutch player.

Lots of losing finalists were all the same nationality including the Inter team Celtic beat and smaller clubs like Malmo and  Panathinaikos also were all the same nationality.

Celtic winning with 11 Scots was amazing but it probably become more of a thing as time passed because at the actual time of the event very few teams had foreigners.

On the treble thing very few counties have a league cup, Portugal, England and maybe Iceland so most teams don't have that opportunity. The treble in 1967 when Celtic won it was an achievement as Dundee won the league and got to the European cup semi the year before Celtic won it. Rangers would win a European trophy a few years later so the competition was there domestically........today a Celtic treble just signifies the extreme gap in finances that is killing most domestic leagues as an actual competition.

I don’t think either the Steau team of 86 or Benfica in the 60’s done their own domestic doubles when they won the European Cup 

Again this isn’t a claim that what Celtic done eclipses any other teams achievements just that it appears to be a unique one. 

The greatest win? Well that’s some debate that. Forest, Villa, Dortmund maybe even Jose’s Porto but it’s a debate for another thread 

Edited by Jinky67

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Next season is the strategy

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It depends in what sense. Financially, we won't close the gap unless we qualify for the Champions League.

The next priority should be building a team and a style that is capable of nullifying Celtic when we play them, much like Gerrard did. It's not really the games against the rest of the league that hindered us much this season (relative to Celtic), rather the head-to-head meetings with Celtic.

Edited by AJF

8 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

I don’t think either the Steau team of 86 or Benfica in the 60’s done their own domestic doubles when they won the European Cup 

Again this isn’t a claim that what Celtic done eclipses any other teams achievements just that it appears to be a unique one. 

The greatest win? Well that’s some debate that. Forest, Villa, Dortmund maybe even Jose’s Porto but it’s a debate for another thread 

They didn't do their domestic double.

I saw a list of trebles which included the European cup and Celtic were the 1st to do it.

1967 - Celtic

1972 - Ajax

1988 -PSV

1999 - Man Utd

2009  -Barca

2010 - Inter

2013 - Bayern

2015 -  Barca

2020 - Bayern

2023 - Man City

Not a great sample size but appears this was a once in a decade achievement before 2000 but now appears to be happening more frequent.

I agree the greatest win is very subjective. Utd were close to losing the FA cup semi to Arsenal but for a missed penalty from Bergkamp and 2 injury time goals to win the European cup. City romped to theirs which showed how much better they were than everyone else. What is the greater achievement? Forest coming from Division 2 to win back to back European cups, sadly that kind of thing would be impossible these days.

I only have in depth knowledge of UK stories I am sure there are countless achievements from European teams that we don't know the background too that would have very strong cases.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AJF said:

It depends in what sense. Financially, we won't close the gap unless we qualify for the Champions League.

The next priority should be building a team and a style that is capable of nullifying Celtic when we play them, much like Gerrard did. It's not really the games against the rest of the league that hindered us much this season (relative to Celtic), rather the head-to-head meetings with Celtic.

I heard a few pundits (both sides) suggest that until Rangers get themselves into a position where they don't have to worry about stopping Celtic and have their own players who can dominate the game then they will find it hard to win their h2h games. I agree with you that for the time being they're better being tough to beat and hitting on the counter - playing smart essentially.

Perhaps we've already seen Clement attempt to play that out in 2 different forms last season (the last old firm of the season and the others). I don't think it was well accepted by Rangers fans. 'Battle Fever', Going toe to toe and meeting fire with fire is what the fans want to see. 

Does it all come down simply to recruitment? If so, what competitive advantage do they have over Celtic? Are they looking to South America? do they have a tie up with a Premier League club? that sort of thing. If they don't then they're just waiting for Celtic to dip which they will do from time to time.

Edited by 2426255

14 hours ago, 2426255 said:

If Rangers are serious about catching Celtic then they should consider league reconstruction to play each other just twice in say a 16 team league. Having to play each other four times means that even if they sneak the odd win or draw, the Celtic juggernaut means that each season they need to make up at least 4 points on Celtic in their other games (this season 9 points and on average over the last five Celtic wins 4.5) clearly that's a huge ask. Yes in Gerard's covid season  they gained 9 points over their rivals but that was once since returning to the top fight.  Continuing to have all those games against celtic really is a handycap.  BTW the same is true for other teams that want to challenge for the top spot. 

22 hours ago, ahemps said:

In the early days of Europe lots of teams got to the final with mostly all domestic players, when there was a non domestic player you'll find that it was 1 or 2 players who were not from that nation until around the mid 70's and then the trend changes.

Although Steau Bucharest won it in 86 with a team full of Romanians and when they lost the final in 1990 it was still 11 Romanians.

I'm not contesting what you're saying, I agree with it overall but I would add that the Steaua team pulled together most of the best players in the country, like a national team, because of the privileges available to the Romanian Army.

To that ends it was similar to Dynamo Kiev in the Ukrainian S.S.R where it's position in a Communist society could allow it to cherry pick the best player in the country.

Also Steaua lost the 1989 European Cup Final rather than the 1990.

Posted (edited)

Quite excited to see Cortes sign. Looked quite promising in the brief run that he had before his injury.

Edited by AJF

Embarrassing and petty from us.

RANGERS have WON their claim against Dundee for compensation over the Dens Park call-offs.

Gers chiefs hit the Dark Blues with a bill for travel and overnight accommodation expenses for the postponed Premiership clashes on March 17 and April 10.

On both occasions Philippe Clement and his players had travelled to a hotel in vain.

Dundee, who have already been fined £186,000 by the SPFL for suffering five call-offs and lost an appeal against that decision earlier this week, told Ibrox bosses they wouldn’t be paying.

Rangers took the case to the league governing body and they have now decided John Nelms will have to cough up.

19 minutes ago, bennett said:

RANGERS have WON their claim against Dundee for compensation over the Dens Park call-offs.

Gers chiefs hit the Dark Blues with a bill for travel and overnight accommodation expenses for the postponed Premiership clashes on March 17 and April 10.

On both occasions Philippe Clement and his players had travelled to a hotel in vain.

Dundee, who have already been fined £186,000 by the SPFL for suffering five call-offs and lost an appeal against that decision earlier this week, told Ibrox bosses they wouldn’t be paying.

Rangers took the case to the league governing body and they have now decided John Nelms will have to cough up.

Aye. Rather needless and reeks of entitlement.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

The only word that can sum up Rangers position in this, is pathetic. 

2 hours ago, bennett said:

TBF If I had to stay overnight in Dundee I'd be wanting compensated. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bennett said:

Quite surprised at this. I would’ve assumed any financial losses from these postponements would’ve been absorbed by the holding company and not the club?  Why have the SPFL got involved in this non-club issue?

#sevco12years

Edited by Sortmeout