The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United had representatives at Forfar yesterday (other than Invergowrie Arab) to watch Bikey. McKinnon has said that it is "common knowledge" we have a bid in for a player. I'm hoping he isn't the only forward we are after.

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Watched him yesterday at forfar. Thought he was shite TBH. Another Justin Jonson

Really? He won a penalty and he got three forfar players booked. The only thing he couldn't do was score, but his record is 7 goals in 8 matches. Don't know how that's shite.

Really? He won a penalty and he got three forfar players booked. The only thing he couldn't do was score, but his record is 7 goals in 8 matches. Don't know how that's shite.

He got players booked :lol:

David Clarkson got 8 goals in 8 games in the top league not so long ago when he was shite.

He took a dive in the box, resulting in 3 opponents being booked for arguing about the penalty award, and missed the resultant penalty. That's how it's shite.

He took a dive in the box, resulting in 3 opponents being booked for arguing about the penalty award, and missed the resultant penalty. That's how it's shite.

The very Mixuesque era Keystone Capers type shambles.

Sign him up, Housty!

6 hours ago, Binos123sam said:

Because if I'm judging someone to play in the championship and hopefully the premier I'm looking at more than the ability to run fast past posties and sparkies.

He's very small. Makes no effort to challenge defenders for the ball and his crossing and finishing were piss poor.

Might have been a one off bad game but seeing as Stirling fans were raving about him's till I'm guessing it's about average 

He would do well to move to a bigger club such as Alloa and develop as a player there.

4 minutes ago, wardy83 said:

Henri anier signs for inverness until end of the season

Just came on to ask about him. Probably safe to say that his time with you guys wasn't exactly a good one?

14 minutes ago, RiG said:

Just came on to ask about him. Probably safe to say that his time with you guys wasn't exactly a good one?

He was for a brief period the vague bright spot in a shit team. Relegated two seasons in a row would be some feat.

Whilst Hibs are strengthening their already strong squad by signing impact players we are shopping in the bargain basement.  Saturday's home crowd shows that fans will vote with their feet.  If Stephen Thomson doesn't invest in the team then he will rue it.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

I didnt actually think he was as bad as some made out but will forever be tainted by last season.  Bit of a headless chicken and certainly wasnt as fast as I remember him being at Motherwell.

Saying that, he was MOTM in one of, imo, best away days in years in the cup tie at Ross County.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Whilst Hibs are strengthening their already strong squad by signing impact players we are shopping in the bargain basement.  Saturday's home crowd shows that fans will vote with their feet.  If Stephen Thomson doesn't invest in the team then he will rue it.

Thompson has to strike a fine balance between pleasing us with good signings but also ensuring we don't overstretch. We have the second highest budget in the league but not by a great deal (Falkirk are third) and we have spent a fair chunk on getting Andreu in on loan. Thompson knows that if we stay in this league then the budget will again be slapped for 17/18. We've also signed a number of free transfers, admittedly on lower wages than those who left in the summer. I'm not adverse to signing lower league players if they have been thoroughly scouted and can make an impact in this division. Look at El Bakhtaoui, who although didn't play in the Championship, showed that players can be found if we have the right contacts. 

We are a competent winger and a striker away from having a strong enough squad that should see us through this season and give us a decent shot against whoever we play in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Image result for stephen thompson dufc

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Thompson has to strike a fine balance between pleasing us with good signings but also ensuring we don't overstretch. We have the second highest budget in the league but not by a great deal (Falkirk are third) and we have spent a fair chunk on getting Andreu in on loan. Thompson knows that if we stay in this league then the budget will again be slapped for 17/18. We've also signed a number of free transfers, admittedly on lower wages than those who left in the summer. I'm not adverse to signing lower league players if they have been thoroughly scouted and can make an impact in this division. Look at El Bakhtaoui, who although didn't play in the Championship, showed that players can be found if we have the right contacts. 

We are a competent winger and a striker away from having a strong enough squad that should see us through this season and give us a decent shot against whoever we play in the playoffs. 

Thompson shouldn't be spending money to please the supporters, he should be doing it to minimise the likelihood of us staying in this league for more than one season.

There are no rights or wrongs in this debate simply opinions; I hold the view that making the financial commitment now will be in the best long term financial interests of the club.

I'll reserve judgement about our chances in the playoffs until later in the season.

Archived