The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

5 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Conceding a 45-yard Ranks squiggler into the top bin is an absolute certainty for us this season, to balance out all the balls sitting in the Dens Park guttering from the last few years.

See also: losing a last minute goal to Rudi Skacel

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Delicious!

I notice nobody has signed Ryan Dow yet - next move Forfar?

I thought he had lined up a move to St Johnstone?

Anyway another guy who hasn't fulfilled his potential.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Or to put it another way another over hyped player from the United youth set up.

Or to put it another way another Funsters so obsessed by Dundee's big team that he can't keep away from our threads.  It's almost cute.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Or to put it another way another Funsters so obsessed by Dundee's big team that he can't keep away from our threads.  It's almost cute.

Granny. We've been through this before about the big team.........

I'm merely trying to give a bit of balance to the debate.  Your an experienced man and must surely know that without a counter arguement some people can become wildly over optimpistic (as witnessed last year when it took many United fans many, many weeks / months of the season to acknowledge United were in danger of relegation).

I can take a hint though and I will vacate the premises and leave you to discuss United in private - just don't get too carried away with United's prospects for the season ahead. ;)

I ask just one thing, don't come looking for me if / when Dundee get beaten from Dumbarton!

Or to put it another way another over hyped player from the United youth set up.

Please feel free to find evidence of Dow being 'hyped' by anyone at all. Distinctly average footballer and the majority of our fans would agree with this.

31 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Distinctly average footballer and the majority of our fans would agree with this.

I know I said I would vacate the thread but seeing as you asked me a direct question I thought it rude not to reply:

Stumigoo, you didn't always think Dow was a distinctly average footballer did you?  When referring back to the 2012 / 2013 season did you not once say that he had made "such a big impact last year".  Given the strong (I am being genuine) United side that season (i.e. pre the sale of numerous very good players) that would suggest to me that me that you thought he was more than distinctly average at some point.

Conceding a 45-yard Ranks squiggler into the top bin is an absolute certainty for us this season, to balance out all the balls sitting in the Dens Park guttering from the last few years.

no chance, Willo will stop his running.

22 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I know I said I would vacate the thread but seeing as you asked me a direct question I thought it rude not to reply:

Stumigoo, you didn't always think Dow was a distinctly average footballer did you?  When referring back to the 2012 / 2013 season did you not once say that he had made "such a big impact last year".  Given the strong (I am being genuine) United side that season (i.e. pre the sale of numerous very good players) that would suggest to me that me that you thought he was more than distinctly average at some point.

He was quite good in the second half of the 2013/14 season. Indeed, he was one of our better players towards the end of that season - it actually looked like he had made a breakthrough. He hadn't. Aside from that wee spell, he was pish. And, last year, to describe him as "average" would have been immensely generous. That miss against Kilmarnock...bloody hell.

38 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I don't know what I find more bizarre about this. Is it the fact that you went searching for posts of mine (which in itself is a bit weird) or that you failed to also mention the numerous posts (and there are many) that I have made about my opinion on how average Dow is. Has he ever made an impact in a United side? Yeah he had a few games in a very good United side that made him look good but that masked the fact that he is, as I've already said, distinctly average. Did I think four years ago when he was 21 that he had something about him? Probably, but I have the same opinion on most United prospects. Dow peaked during our ridiculously in-form few months when Gauld, Ciftci, Robertson et al were all on fire. The reality though is that he isn't very good.

If you insist on trawling through posts on an internet forum (don't know why anyone would), please do it properly. Incidentally can you link me to the post?

58 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Even for a Dee that's pretty sad.

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I thought he had lined up a move to St Johnstone?

We offered him a deal in January, and our manager had told him he wanted him at the club numerous times, yet Dow refused to sign for us as he had this bizarre belief Hibs were prepared to pay him more. We told him he had a week to say yes or no either way, and he never replied, so we took the offer off the table, and Hibs were never even interested, so now hes stuck with offers from the likes of York.

No idea what level he believes he should be playing at, but its fairly clear we're likely to be the best offer he'll get this Summer.

Ryan Dow came on for us and played a good game V oldco. Since then, about 6 years ago or something, he's played around 6 good games. I've never been a fan. He had something about him but he's a player that has no heart. No fight. If he is an Arab, and i dont doubt that, he didnt show it enough. Shirked tackles and hid during games when the team needed fighters and scrappers. I honestly couldn't believe St. Johnstone offered him a deal as he clearly wouldnt fit in there - imo. I hope he finds a club but he wasn't and isn't what we need.

Ryan Dow came on for us and played a good game V oldco. Since then, about 6 years ago or something, he's played around 6 good games. I've never been a fan. He had something about him but he's a player that has no heart. No fight. If he is an Arab, and i dont doubt that, he didnt show it enough. Shirked tackles and hid during games when the team needed fighters and scrappers. I honestly couldn't believe St. Johnstone offered him a deal as he clearly wouldnt fit in there - imo. I hope he finds a club but he wasn't and isn't what we need.

With Dow I've actually thought that he's shown plenty of willing and effort to chase etc; there were a couple of cases in the good McNamara season where he closed down goalkeepers and forced them into mistakes and scored from it. But that is his only positive attribute, technically he is utterly abysmal.

Archived