The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Looking forward to heading to CSS tomorrow.  I went during our 1st season in the LL and the committee were great and laid on free pies for the fans at f/t.

This time winning could be tough (current form, league table) but as a day out I'm really looking forward to it.  The Strollers folks are a lovely bunch :)

Edited by come on shire

On 03/10/2018 at 19:34, selfassemblyshire said:
On 03/10/2018 at 13:17, Neilly said:
That is shocking in all honesty. I know the usual suspects will reply with a witty quip about how we will join you soon (LOL) but how on earth is that even possible in a league full of absolute dross?

Made our best player the manager. Nobody can replace him in the middle of the park.

What about the big lad that came on against kelty with the man bun lol he was murder am a better player than him and am no far off 50, in all seriousness though gotta hope it turns around soon 

What about the big lad that came on against kelty with the man bun lol he was murder am a better player than him and am no far off 50, in all seriousness though gotta hope it turns around soon 
Brissy, first game back in a long time I think. He has the ability to turn a game on its head aswell.

Yeah I'm confident it will mate, its a shame we dont have more points as the EK, Spartans and return Kelty fixture lose the big game feel.

The cup on the other hand.......

That was a very strange game of football yesterday. A great game but lacking any real quality imo, just 90 mins of hoof ball. I thought we played well in the first half and probably deserved our well worked goal. Then in typical shire fashion we absolutely shat the bed and find ourselves 2-1 down at HT.

The start of the second half had a pre season feel to it, there wasn’t much noise from the players or crowd and it looked like some were just going through the motions. We carved an equaliser out and without having time to finish our celebrations a penalty was awarded and we were 3-2 down. Interestingly, the referee said after the game that McKee won the ball but it was how he tackled the player. I thought it was a penalty in real time but will be interesting to see it again. I’m normally pretty neutral with referees but this bunch were a bit ridiculous, for both teams may I add. From a shire perspective, 2 solid calls for a penalty and then one advantage from a foul right on the edge of the Civil box directly in front of goal. This got the crowd and the players riled up and from then on Shire were on the front foot and duly got the 3rd. Each team missed good chances to snatch it, Civil missed a free header 6 yard out and Danny Ashe hit a 25 yard volley that got tipped over. Injury time seemed to last an eternity when at 5 o clock, Rodgers cut inside and swung a left foot piledriver towards goal which got flicked on by a Civil defender past the flailing goalkeeper to start pandemonium in the Shire support. I don’t know how we did it, but I’ll take it.

It took me 21 months to see the Shire win a game and now I’ve seen 2 on the trot, both of which have been mad in their own right. Hopefully it’s 3 in a row in 2 weeks time.

35 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Is it a big pitch dimension wise? If it is I don't think it will suit Kelty either. Only ever seen us play there once in a friendly.

It's apparently 105x68m, not sure how that compares to elsewhere in the league but it certainly seems bigger than Ochilview. 

I figured it would help us, that we would be on the front foot in most games and usually bigger pitches make it more difficult for teams to sit back and defend.

Turns out, while it's certainly made our defense worse I'm not so sure about anyone else

It's apparently 105x68m, not sure how that compares to elsewhere in the league but it certainly seems bigger than Ochilview. 
I figured it would help us, that we would be on the front foot in most games and usually bigger pitches make it more difficult for teams to sit back and defend.
Turns out, while it's certainly made our defense worse I'm not so sure about anyone else

To be honest injuries have made our defence worse, hopefully now McKee is back we can have a settled back 4/5 which hopefully can give us a base to build from.

I just watched Sportscene there and saw Ricki Lamie playing for Livingston, he was comfortably one of the worst players I've ever seen when he was on loan to us in 2014 and I have no idea how he's managed to get into the SPL. Fair play to him.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Great programme as well guys, I take the guy that posts on here as Nimmos Notes is involved with that. The historical stuff in it is great to read as well.

Aye, Dead contributes the vast majority of stuff and edits the programme. I do my wee column and find victims for the Shire interviews and Pauline does the graphics. She lives in the USA but emails are a great invention! 

KICKED OFF THE PARK . YET AGAIN a JUNIOR TEAM PLAYING SENIOR IS REFFED UNDER JUNIOR RULES FOR THEIR CHALLENGES . HOW THE KELTY FORWARD STAYED ON FOR HIS CHALLENGE ON CONNOR GREENE WAS UNBELIEVABLE. 10 SECONDS LATE , FROM BEHIND & MAKING CONTACT JUST BELOW THE KNEE  WITH HIGH FEET . RESULT SHIRE BOOKING AFTER a BRAWL & ONLY a YELLOW FOR THE CHALLENGE! ! THE PETERHEAD MANAGER WAS AT THE GAME & ALSO COULD NOT BELIEVE KELTY DID NOT HAVE RED CARDS SHOWN TO THEM. 

4 hours ago, gogsy said:

Great programme as well guys, I take the guy that posts on here as Nimmos Notes is involved with that. The historical stuff in it is great to read as well.

Cheers.

Personally I love the historical stuff (pre 1900  Scottish football is my home thought anything up to 1939 I could spend days indulging in). However,  for now I have been thrust into the here and now and am doing the Shire programme editing and a bit more besides this season. 

After each prog comes out I add the historical article to the Shire website. I thought it would be interesting this season to write a new club history but it is very challenging to do that in 4 pages per decade within a prog. What suffers a bit is that I can't talk for page after page about the players from the past as I would want to or include all the photos I would like. Maybe by the end of the season, once I have completed the history, I will go back and expand everything on the website. I do try and tell new stories from the past and show photos that have not see the light of day for many a year.

Doing the progs this season has meant that I have had to put aside the series of club history booklets I am in the middle of writing and issuing. Really hope that I can get the time later this season to get another one out.

Always interested in club histories and stories of players from the club's we play from years gone bye.

KICKED OFF THE PARK . YET AGAIN a JUNIOR TEAM PLAYING SENIOR IS REFFED UNDER JUNIOR RULES FOR THEIR CHALLENGES . HOW THE KELTY FORWARD STAYED ON FOR HIS CHALLENGE ON CONNOR GREENE WAS UNBELIEVABLE. 10 SECONDS LATE , FROM BEHIND & MAKING CONTACT JUST BELOW THE KNEE  WITH HIGH FEET . RESULT SHIRE BOOKING AFTER a BRAWL & ONLY a YELLOW FOR THE CHALLENGE! ! THE PETERHEAD MANAGER WAS AT THE GAME & ALSO COULD NOT BELIEVE KELTY DID NOT HAVE RED CARDS SHOWN TO THEM. 

I TAKE IT THE LOWERCASE IS BROKEN.
utter shite, Kelty played probably their worst game of the season. Best team definitely won however Hubby and Cargi were taken out with no Shire player sent off. Errol involved after a shire ‘challenge’ and he got booked because shire player was already on a yellow.
Some Shire fans obviously still think their a level above with some of the shouts today.
You won, deservedly so, stop greeting and get wi it.