'Huge mistake to play France friendly', says Scotland's Go

DA Baracus

Yeah but seriously, if theres hundreds, then name them.

I'm not a fan of Strachan, never have been. But all the names who ever get touted are either shite or unattainable.

Let's just name some who are in France who could do a better job than Strachan with the players available;  Michael O'Neill, Lars Lagerback (who has been overlooked twice  :lol: ).

Both well within the SFA's manager budget.  Who have got a squad of players playing as a team, who score goals and are extremely difficult to break down.  Something Strachan could only dream of doing.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just name some who are in France who could do a better job than Strachan with the players available;  Michael O'Neill, Lars Lagerback (who has been overlooked twice  :lol: ).

Both well within the SFA's manager budget.  Who have got a squad of players playing as a team, who score goals and are extremely difficult to break down.  Something Strachan could only dream of doing.

O'Neill would have no interest in us and by all accounts Lagerback is planning to retire once he leaves Iceland. Both aren't viable replacements.

O'Neill would have no interest in us and by all accounts Lagerback is planning to retire once he leaves Iceland. Both aren't viable replacements.

I would disagree with the first part.  He's spent a fair chunk of his life here.  Has the second part been confirmed?

You can't seriously believe Scotland have the pinnacle of available managers just now.  That's a nonsense.

I would disagree with the first part.  He's spent a fair chunk of his life here.  Has the second part been confirmed?

You can't seriously believe Scotland have the pinnacle of available managers just now.  That's a nonsense.

Hes been linked with the Celtic job and numerous English Championship jobs, I don't see why he'd move sideways to manage us. And virtually yeah, hes 67 now.

And Im not asking for top drawer managers, but you said there was "hundreds" of better managers we could replace him with, before naming two who wouldn't manage us.

Hes been linked with the Celtic job and numerous English Championship jobs, I don't see why he'd move sideways to manage us. And virtually yeah, hes 67 now.

And Im not asking for top drawer managers, but you said there was "hundreds" of better managers we could replace him with, before naming two who wouldn't manage us.

Plenty of people move sideways in jobs, and I didn't ask how old the guy was, I asked if it was confirmed he's retiring at the end of his spell with Iceland.

They both would manage Scotland IMO.

David Moyes

Alex McLeish

Dougie Freedman

Malky Mackay

Billy Davies

Derek McInnes

Stuart McCall

Strachan's time is up and it's time he was moved on. Someone's inability to name one hundred possible replacements doesn't negate that fact.

David Moyes

Alex McLeish

Dougie Freedman

Malky Mackay

Billy Davies

Derek McInnes

Stuart McCall

Strachan's time is up and it's time he was moved on. Someone's inability to name one hundred possible replacements doesn't negate that fact.

^^^This. And better to get the new guy in place now.

Robbie Neilson

Jim McIntyre

John Hughes

Alan Archibald

Colin Nish

David Moyes

Alex McLeish

Dougie Freedman

Malky Mackay

Billy Davies

Derek McInnes

Stuart McCall

Well said, that man. With a few notable exceptions, international management is a timely stop-gap in prep for club jobs. Plenty of those named have enough daily hands-on experience to exert onto even the pishest of teams, a group which we fit comfortably into. Most of those would at least offer something resembling tactics, organisation, motivation and playing at an acceptable standard. The countries who persevered with their managers through tough times, did so because despite shite initial results (O'Neill, Coleman and Lagerback all experienced those) they quite obviously worked to put a stop to them, Coleman after Serbia's 6-1 rout of Wales a prime example. Speaking of the Serbs, they also ought to be a bit furious at not making it with the players they have, certainly as much as the Danes or even the waning Dutch.

For me the really scary thing is if there was a tournament with the 16 best teams that didn't qualify there would be a good number that I would expect to beat us - Holland, Serbia, Norway, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Slovenia, Greece, Denmark, Czechosumania, wouldn't be confident of beating any of them. Probably win our WC group though.

Both the Czechs and Slovaks made it. Hungary and Montenegro would probably skelp us too. Going further down the list, on aggregate, Georgia and Belarus have both had the measure of us in direct competition, and there's a bawhair in it where Macedonia, Finland, Cyprus, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, and Moldova are concerned....brilliant stuff.

Both the Czechs and Slovaks made it. Hungary and Montenegro would probably skelp us too. Going further down the list, on aggregate, Georgia and Belarus have both had the measure of us in direct competition, and there's a bawhair in it where Macedonia, Finland, Cyprus, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, and Moldova are concerned....brilliant stuff.

Hungary qualified but yeah depressing stuff.

Look at tonight, Romania made France look ordinary.

We couldn't even get a shot on target against them.

We weren't unlucky in qualifying, we are just not good enough.

So in that case, not qualifying can't be seen as that big a disaster? It's the manner of performance which i think upsets people a lot more than simply losing. Romania are not the force of old, cetrainly no modern day Hagis, Popescus, Petrescus or Mutus in among that side tonight, but they didn't sit on their hands mumping about it, and Iordanescu certainly didn't demoralise them by constantly decrying the attributes of his squad. The last manager who got 100% from his Scotland side was Big Eck, that's the reason we're so poor. The players, frankly, don't give a shit.

I don't know what anyone else can do better with the current crop of players?

Again, going back to Vogts, he knew it and looked for exciting young talent. The result of this was the semi decent sides that Smith and McLeish benefited from. We need to forget about the seniors and throw all the money into youth. If we can unearth one world class talent it would act as a springboard.

Instead we will have eleven mediocre players who play safe, boring and physical shitfest football.

Another foreign coach in charge of the SFA would be an idea, absolutely no chance of that happening though. Our entire setup needs to change and be given a decade at least.

David Moyes

Alex McLeish

Dougie Freedman

Malky Mackay

Billy Davies

Derek McInnes

Stuart McCall

Again, Moyes and McLeish would have zero interest. Freedmans utterly shite, Mackays a proven racist. Davies has never had success without spending shitloads, McInnes has no interest in International management at this stage of career while McCall is surely a joke? You'd be aswell saying McGhee.

So, are we basically saying taking on the Scotland job is some kind of 'favour', for which any appointment we should be grateful? It's bad enough that senior, professional and extremely well paid players need an 'uncle Gordon' figure to shield them from just about any and every criticism, without the 'who else' garbage being peddled around to endorse the wailings of the thousands of Scotland fans' who are evidently very happy with him.

It's a very handsomely paid position, in international terms, and like any job in management, if succesful could relaunch a career. My understanding is that football managers generally have a very thick skin, so 'media' or 'fans' abuse when the going gets tough is hardly a major obstacle.....certainly, a handy excuse.

Archived